The cranky thread

Hermit

I just found out that a "work friend" of my wife's came back to work after a week and a half missing.

Turns out that her roommate's boyfriend, to her surprise, is a heroin junkie.

While coming off of it, he brutally raped her twice. He was apparently arrested, but I am certain he will not face true justice in this life.

I can already hear the defense claims that "he is sick" or "he did not know what he was doing..."

I am NOT sure a true definition of justice would not be her getting to place a double barrel twelve gauge anywhere she wants, and pull the trigger.

IMO

Law is not justice. Law is, too often the compromise we reach as a society,

Tempered by the desire of predators to not face true justice if they are caught.

I don't even know her. Yet I am so disgusted by what was done to her, and the tolerance our society has for such predatory scum, that I probably need to watch my blood pressure.

I suspect that even if he is convicted, he will get not more than 5 years. Probably less.

I think a Greg Almighty is just what this planet needs.

As for myself--sick, tired, broke, can't sleep. 

Good luck.  Prayers en route.    I know the broke.   I finally got a job, and it ALMOST meets the bills...

My dad just got an official diagnosis of Parkinson's to go with his Alzheimer's.    Now what was that iirc British trial of a Cancer drug that drove Parkinson's symptoms into remission, and they want to try on Alzheimer's???

Or maybe the Australian Ultrasound treatment for Alzheimer's...

So, my mother-in-law has been placed in a care facility by the state.  My wife and her mother have a very bad history that I won't go into here, but suffice to say we haven't had  much contact with her for the last few years.  The state put her in care because she's in kidney failure and won't take care of herself.  So, my wife agreed to help get her stuff out of her old house so she has clothes and her coat and everything.  We've even agreed to hire a mover to put her furniture in storage.  Her landlord had her on a month-by-month lease and we had to pay for this month in order to have time to get her stuff out.

Now, her landlord has been calling us every evening for the last 2 weeks asking when we'll have her stuff out and demanding that we pay the damages caused by her mother's neglect.   We've repeatedly told him it will be out by the end of the month and that we had no part in the damages so he can't hold us responsible for them.

We already live paycheck-to-paycheck due to our own medical issues (my wife has MS and chronic migrains and I have ulceragive colitis).  We couldn't afford the rent we paid him and we've still got to come up with money for movers and storage.  I'm sorry that my mother-in-law left the place a mess (she didn't let her dog out regularly) but we have no money and we didn't make the mess in the first place.

We're documenting each time he calls so that if this persists past the end of the month, we can file harrasment charges against him.

My week:

Two-day business trip to Baltimore + lack of sleep in strange bed + whirlwind tour of every frickin' elementary school and community center in the city + cramped flight cabin, turbulence and sinus pressure + mental stress of catching up on work when I get back + additional mental stress of bailing out a friend about to have her car repossessed = a cold, and a weekend evidently going to be spent recovering at home.

Now that I see the complete formula, the result makes sense.

I aggressively treat beginning colds with pseudo ephedrine and vitamin c. It's no miracle cure but it makes a huge difference whether my nose can at least drain or whether it becomes a solid clot of mucus, virus, and bacteria.

I have no cold at the moment, but the holidays are upon us, and with them, the fighting. She got mad enough this time that the kids were terrified--like shivering and bawling terrified. To date I've stayed in this thinking it was best for the kids, but now? I wish I was Captain Kirk, who didn't believe in the no win scenario.

When I give you detailed written instructions about how to do the project and show you step-by-step how to do the project and you are still asking me how to do the project, one of these two things is almost certainly true:

1) You're not paying attention, or

2) You're just dense.

Actually, I will amend my previous statement to "one or both of these two things is almost certainly true".

Read the [redacted] directions!!

Not TOO cranky tonight,   we survived the record windstorm with only minor roof damage, lost contents of fridge.    I fixed the roof, a couple hours later the power came back on (only about 75 hours, not bad for this storm).   

Went to my cousin's for Thanksgiving, my wife had to work and my mom was too sick to go.    

Today at work went pretty well.  Even though I did have to get up at 0245...

Really, today the biggest complaint is that last night I wasted sleep time so we could have family time watching "Shaun the Sheep".    Not as good as the tv show imo.   Nor as good as most of the other stuff Aardman has put out...

Weird thing happened to me while eating dinner. I was chewing my food, when I felt my jaw muscles on the left side of my mouth stiffen. I closed my mouth but felt a distinctive crunch. It didn't hurt, but I felt it. Later, the muscles in my face got sore including the area behind my left eye.

Never felt that before!