The cranky thread

Hermit

I aggressively treat beginning colds with pseudo ephedrine and vitamin c. It's no miracle cure but it makes a huge difference whether my nose can at least drain or whether it becomes a solid clot of mucus, virus, and bacteria.

I have no cold at the moment, but the holidays are upon us, and with them, the fighting. She got mad enough this time that the kids were terrified--like shivering and bawling terrified. To date I've stayed in this thinking it was best for the kids, but now? I wish I was Captain Kirk, who didn't believe in the no win scenario.

I haven't been on this thread for a while.   Good luck.   

The other night I got a call from a number I didn't recognize:  "You need to get over here and calm mom down!  She is throwing shit and stuff..."

I pointed out that the young man had the wrong number and he was mortified, he had meant to call his grandmother...

Thank God My family hasn't gotten to that point...    There has been verbal abuse in some cases, but not that level of violence.   

I have a checking account at a major, "too big to fail" bank that was a joint account with my late housemate. Last month, and again this month, a "zombie" transfer moved money from this account into the housemate's savings account--an account that's locked down due to his death last year, and one that the "helpful" bankers in my local office refused to give me access (or the account number) after his death. They instead tried to sell me a refinance on my mortgage (got to love quotas). So, I called the 800 number, and talked to many folks, who were all trying to be helpful, until they figured out that the savings account was only in his name. That's when I threatened to close the account. The last agent decided to conference me in with the local branch, and I now have an appointment tomorrow to try to recover the savings account. I'm going into the meeting with exactly what I went in with last time: his death certificate and his will naming me both executor and sole beneficiary. There's a form for Nevada for claiming the account, which they say they will provide and notarize. We'll see.

damn, legalisms and bureaucracies make life tough.   Good luck. 

Thanks. I only started wearing hearing aids at the end of October. Still getting used to them.

I don't need them, but that was very interesting information.   

On the storing spares in your pocket or gear, I had a thought.   The plastic cases my blood glucose test strips come in are like SUPER good film canisters with permanently attached lids.   I use them to carry the couple of spare meds I like to have at work,etc.  if you know anyone who needs to test their glucose levels, see if you can get one from them.   Toss one of the little desiccant packets in with them, and carry it in your pocket or pack...  

If you need any,, I have both, as the over the counter antacid I use usually comes in bottles with 7 doses to the bottle and a desiccant pack.   I wish I could get a bulk package of of it, I hate the waste of plastic, space, and energy in the packaging...

• 2 weeks later...

trouble in threes on the same day.

My mother has a disabled sticker that comes due on 31st January and could not make head or tale of the computer version of the form so asked me to get hold of a paper version. Except that they don't o a paper version anymore. And my mother has not been well enough to go in and do the form with help at the council offices.

Had to cancel a direct debit with the bank's help (last Wednesday) and was advised to come back in on the Monday (or the Saturday) to discuss with the Collections people what to do next. 20 minutes on the phone and still nowhere even though I am being proactive.

Lastly nothing on lottery tickets for two separate draws.

My mother has a lodger. Her boyfriend was in an accident on Monday where the car rolled down a 15 foot bank. He has whiplash, cuts and bruises and is being done for dangerous driving.

So I've been working on the new digital storefront for work since late November. Marketing provided the mockup, and I am in charge of making the template/css/etc work. Note that I've been doing this project for more than a month.

Yesterday afternoon we get a list of changes from corporate branding. Changes not just to some of the things we've done (those changes happen). Changes to the mockup! In the words of my six year old, "Are you kidding me!"

So I go to the tailor to have some clothes fixed, and it turns out he's on vacation until later this month.

I got a GoPro for Christmas. It didn't come with a memory card, so I bought one. Except it won't format, so I have to return it.

Tonight I rushed to get to the train on time. I even got chased by a dog. When I reached the station, I found out it was delayed by an hour. So I walked to the bus stop as an alternate (longer) route. Then the train came, and the safety railings came down, so I couldn't catch it.

• 2 weeks later...

How unusually reasonable.

I believe the reasonable people have been sacked. Something about moose bites. Brand new feature that we hadn't heard about but absolutely has to be in the shopping cart (even though it's going to make for a terrible user experience, as we have repeatedly warned them).

Required to implement:

1. Add this function to the store where applicable.

2. Remove the shopping cart display piece that works great and looks good.

3. Replace it with a new setup just so that these NEW FEATURES can be added.

4. Make it work great and look good.

5. No. We cannot move the go-live date out at all.

This NEW feature has already taken 2 days for 2 programmers, and we ain't finished yet.