The cranky thread

Hermit

TOnight I found out that some scum sucking parasite has managed to get access to my accounts and transfer out a very large sum of money.  

It was actually my wife's money, an early inheritance.   I cannot reach anyone at my credit union, as it is Sunday Night. 

There goes my perfect attendance record at work...  I am going to have to be sitting on the doorstep when they open in the AM. 

I can't even block the account...   

They got almost 10k, hit for another 5 this AM, but it looks like I got that stopped.  Police report, Credit Union's Fraud department is on the case.

It will be interesting to see what turns up. 

I am likely to have a problem next time someone is going on and on about how "Hackers" are misunderstood good guys...

I have very little sympathy for predatory, parasitic thieves and other criminals.    

Good luck, gewing. I suspect you'll get your money back. Justice may have to be karmic, as the perpetrators are likely overseas. We had a similar situation a couple of years ago when a PayPal account with a fairly decent balance got hacked. Fortunately, we got everything back pretty quickly. Given that our default language was changed to Chinese on the account, I doubt the hackers ever got punished, though.

Had a health MOT today. And my blood pressure is a cause for concern. Walking stroke they said. I feel fine and my diet is ok. My alcohol consumption is not high, a pint and half of lager a week and up to at most 2 bottles of wine a week. So I have to have more pills. And next week an electrocardiogram. Plus analysis of my blood test.

They got almost 10k, hit for another 5 this AM, but it looks like I got that stopped.  Police report, Credit Union's Fraud department is on the case.

It will be interesting to see what turns up. 

I am likely to have a problem next time someone is going on and on about how "Hackers" are misunderstood good guys...

I have very little sympathy for predatory, parasitic thieves and other criminals.    

Sorry to hear that, Gewing. 

Had a health MOT today. And my blood pressure is a cause for concern. Walking stroke they said. I feel fine and my diet is ok. My alcohol consumption is not high, a pint and half of lager a week and up to at most 2 bottles of wine a week. So I have to have more pills. And next week an electrocardiogram. Plus analysis of my blood test.

That all sucks a lot.  But please take it seriously and get it looked at.  One of my friends found out his blood pressure was a problem when he had a massive stroke and died ten years ago.  While he was in the ICU his BP was so high it was literally off the screen.  I don't mean to frighten you but I'd rather not lose more friends that way.  

You'd probably not like to hear care what IT professionals have to say about teachers and professors. :)

FTFY.

Here at the University, tbout the only ones the IT staff believe they have to be thought well of by are administrators. The faculty despise them, and the students come to despise them pretty quickly. We think a popular depiction of them goes in the right direction but is a little too charitable.

Hmmm, lovely. Putting two and two together, the helicopter noisily and annoyingly hovering over campus seems to be the news camera chopper providing the telescopic video feed of the police investigating the human remains found in a trash bin.