The cranky thread

Hermit

Them: Knock Knock.

Me: there's no door.

Them: Hey did you get the memo about the new guy starting on Monday?

Me: No memo about a new guy starting on Monday

Them: Oh. Well will we have a laptop for him?

Me: I don't even know his name.

Them: We won't need it til 1pm.

Me: Fine. I guess. 

Them: Knock Knock.

Me: there's no door.

Them: Hey did you get the memo about the new guy starting on Monday?

Me: No memo about a new guy starting on Monday

Them: Oh. Well will we have a laptop for him?

Me: I don't even know his name.

Them: We won't need it til 1pm.

Me: Fine. I guess.

It should be legal to punch these people in the face. With a fist.

Driving to the bank, when...

thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump

Great.

Park car. Check driver's side tire. It's fine. Check passenger side. Totally flat. Feel around tire. Feel head of screw stuck in tire.

That figures.

Fortunately, the kids at the tire shop across the street from the office do good work. But still.

Oh, and now the wife has dropped one of her earrings down the sink. Again.

Speaking of which, did gewing get his money back from the hackers yet?

Yeah but now I am terrified of such... I think it was my mom's computer, though and I think I got it cleaned up... We have mutual access on one account. We even got her a new computer but she doesn't know how to use it so I don't think she is. Does anyone have any suggestions for best malware protection? We are using Viper, or vipre, or whatever it is called. I have some kind of G-I bug, and don't feel up to going over to the PC.

Yeah but now I am terrified of such... I think it was my mom's computer, though and I think I got it cleaned up... We have mutual access on one account. We even got her a new computer but she doesn't know how to use it so I don't think she is. Does anyone have any suggestions for best malware protection? We are using Viper, or vipre, or whatever it is called. I have some kind of G-I bug, and don't feel up to going over to the PC.

I've had pretty good experiences with Avast and Bitdefender.  Reinforce either with Malwarebytes.  I avoid Kaspersky ever since I found out the hard way that it's updated out of servers in China.

Better still would be a behavioral endpoint protection solution like Cisco AMP or Bit9/CarbonBlack, but I don't know what the price tag on those would be for home use.

I know the feeling. Some a-hole stole my identity a few years ago and used it to rack up utility bills in the East Coast. And the idiot utility companies never even bothered to check despite not getting paid for months. And I had to spend a lot of time and money clearing up my name.

That was several years ago, and I'm still pretty wary of buying anything online.

I'm sick and tired of romantic vampires and noble werewolves. I don't want my witches to be hippy Earth lovers. I don't need the creation of my modern Prometheus to be some sort of misunderstood hero. I want my monsters back. I want the very words "Vampire," "Werewolf," "Witch," and "Frankenstein" to send a shiver up the spine of little ones. I don't want to see garish caricatures of my monsters dangling from little strings around Halloween.

Another random comment, railing at the over-saturation of what previously used to be horrific but has since become an amusement. Does anybody else remember when a monster movie came out, it was an event? Everybody would talk about it and mostly get it wrong. These days it's more like "Honey, should we watch the cute animated show with the rabbit police officer or go see Noble Vampire III: Undead Lives Matter?" Bah!

I've had pretty good experiences with Avast and Bitdefender.  Reinforce either with Malwarebytes.  I avoid Kaspersky ever since I found out the hard way that it's updated out of servers in China.

Better still would be a behavioral endpoint protection solution like Cisco AMP or Bit9/CarbonBlack, but I don't know what the price tag on those would be for home use.

I'll second that. My current mix is Avast and Malwarebytes. In my case, both are licensed versions, which means that Malwarebytes scans in real time.

I'll definitely second Malwarebytes paid version. The real time scanning is great, especially for a less techy user. For AV, I'm using MSE, but I'd only recommend it on a fresh system you know is clean, as in fresh install and the very first thing you put on it is your security software. It sucks at actual removal. Good at prevention though.

I had a video on Youtube on repeat but now it seems to have been removed. Which is annoying. It was Claude Francois and Love Will Call the Tune from the Musical Time Machine on the BBC. There are a couple of other versions around but that is the one that stuck in the memory. Partly I now believe because the BBC made the dancers, the Claudettes, cover up. By today's standards it is nothing but by the standards of the time the costumes were daring. But Claude was French and they do things different over the Channel.

So, to make today just plain wonderful...

Training for the new job role.  SHould be simpler than what I have been doing, but MUCH faster time expectations, and the client is apparently and absolute ^&*^() about details in QA evaluations.    

Turns out that rather than our insurance being in effect till the end of the month, it was cancelled on the 17th...  I am pretty sure we had paid our portion through the end of the month, given how insurance billing works...              

-THis means we will almost certainly be getting a bill for several hundred dollars for the medications we filled last week.  No copays, don't ya           know...

When I went to finalise insurance for us to replace it (figuring we can survive the two weeks without, it is almost over)  I realized that I can't make an informed choice as to which plan to select without knowing what the premiums will be and what the copays and deductibles will be, due to Advanced pretax credit and Cost share reduction.    

In order to find out what those will be, I needed to update my wife's income information for unemployment, it is higher than I estimated, as at the time we had not received notification...      The higher value will mean lower APTC and CSR, so Higher premiums, copays, and deductibles.   

So I updated it.   THis moved the effective date out to JUNE 1    :shock:  :fear:

talk about a catch 22.    If I didn't update it, the cost and benefits would worsen when I did.   So by updating it I screwed myself out of a month's coverage.

WA state Healthcarefinder.org only has customer support available until 6:00 PM!!!!!!

Great, so now I get to go a month without insurance.   Assuming I don't get hacked again, I should be able to afford paying out of pocket for the absolutely necessary medications I am on...

DAMNIT!          

I know my parents did not make my middle name JOB....

I did a fast walk of a mile, up and down my driveway a couple times.    Now I am not quite as tempted to drive my fist through a wall, or something even less practical and appropriate...  

:nonp:

Your message radiates the same vibe I felt after dealing with California's EDD (unemployment department) and the stupid Cal Jobs website.

I need to find a new job asap. Dealing with the inane state bureaucracy is going to drive me further into the "it is not I who am crazy, it is I who AM MAD" territory. Besides, not having a job to wake up to is really sucking the wind out of my motivation.

Good luck. You might try Western Dental. They have a bad reputation online, but they did good work for my wife and we were able to make payments. Obviously the online reputation isn't completely without merit, but it is an option. As I recall, you are in the San Francisco area so here is a search for local branches: https://www.google.com/search?q=Western+Dental+San+francisco&rlz=2C1MSIM_enUS0536US0536&oq=Western+Dental+San+francisco&aqs=chrome..69i57.5750j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It took me many, many, many phone calls to those idiots just to buy a basic health plan after my wife got laid off. We didn't have coverage for the first month, due to delays and f-ups on their part, but had to pay for it anyway to get backdated coverage just to avoid the tax penalty for having over a two month gap in coverage. I had to make a couple of calls to the Governer's office to get them to kick the idiots in the rear to even get anything moving. There seems to be absolutely no oversight for the idiots, and nobody seems to be accountable or responsible for them.