The cranky thread

Hermit

What sucks the most to me is being unable to fix any of it.  Can't help either of my kids with their problems, nor my wife.  Just have to ride it all out and hope for the best. 

Yeah, that sums it up for me too more or less.

My sympathies for your loved ones. I hope things get better

Feeling rather out of sorts today. 

Not motivated at work.  Luckily, I don't have anything with an urgent deadline, but even so I'm pushing myself do to anything useful.

Not too motivated at home, either.  Maybe I'll copy my wife and daughters, and just wait for household chores to magically do themselves.  (And since I'm typically the one who "magically" does them, I bet I'll be waiting a long damn time.)

Not even motivated at gaming.  Can't seem to decide what the next Champions adventure is going to be.  Also a tad irritated -- one of the players wanted to run a D&D 5th edition game, but we were already alternating between my Champions and another guy's D&D 4th edition game.  I said okay as long as either my game or the D&D 4th game ends, and the guy running the D&D 4th game offered to end his.  But that hasn't happened yet, not sure how long that's going to be either, so we have now three games alternating.  Good thing I don't have an idea of what to run, because it's looking like I won't run again until mid-July -- and my last time running was in May.  Grrrrr....

Irritated with people at church being stupid - it's turning from a church into a glorified book club with one really good book that too many people act like they've never read.

On the way in to work, I mentioned to my wife that I'm feeling out of sorts, and she immediately said, "I know what you're talking about" and then launched into everything about her.  Got news for you, honey.  Misery doesn't love company.  Misery would love for you to shut the **** up.

And like Nolgroth, I'm sick of people all over this world being too damn stupid.  I swear to God, if alien invaders came to wipe humanity off the face of the earth, I might just cheer them on.

Irritated with people at church being stupid - it's turning from a church into a glorified book club with one really good book that too many people act like they've never read.

That is really frustrating. I know I'm guilty of it sometimes.

Feeling rather out of sorts today. 

Not motivated at work.  Luckily, I don't have anything with an urgent deadline, but even so I'm pushing myself do to anything useful.

Not too motivated at home, either.  Maybe I'll copy my wife and daughters, and just wait for household chores to magically do themselves.  (And since I'm typically the one who "magically" does them, I bet I'll be waiting a long damn time.)

Not even motivated at gaming.  Can't seem to decide what the next Champions adventure is going to be.  Also a tad irritated -- one of the players wanted to run a D&D 5th edition game, but we were already alternating between my Champions and another guy's D&D 4th edition game.  I said okay as long as either my game or the D&D 4th game ends, and the guy running the D&D 4th game offered to end his.  But that hasn't happened yet, not sure how long that's going to be either, so we have now three games alternating.  Good thing I don't have an idea of what to run, because it's looking like I won't run again until mid-July -- and my last time running was in May.  Grrrrr....

On the way in to work, I mentioned to my wife that I'm feeling out of sorts, and she immediately said, "I know what you're talking about" and then launched into everything about her.  Got news for you, honey.  Misery doesn't love company.  Misery would love for you to shut the **** up.

And like Nolgroth, I'm sick of people all over this world being too damn stupid.  I swear to God, if alien invaders came to wipe humanity off the face of the earth, I might just cheer them on.

Ugh. Yeah. I'm a bit disgruntled with what a lot of Christians are willing to support these days that I'm pretty sure the J man would not approve of myself

As for the Champions stuff... well, if you want to brainstorm, there are great minds here (at least we THINK we are) who would probably be happy to share our ideas :)

As to gaming, I haven't had the pleasure since '09. I would love to be in a game and I would also love to play as opposed to my assumed roll as GM. That said, my own inspiration towards gaming is going through a low point. I blame the hellish conditions outside my front door. Yes, I'm sure somebody is in a warmer place on Earth, but 105° F is frickin' demoralizingly hot. I hate summer and all it stands for. Tomorrow is supposed to be even more hot. Stupid heat. Stupid sun. Stupid...everything.

According to the weather service, we've cooled down to 111°F, it was somewhere around 116°F or so when I left work at 4 PM.

I had to bump my home air conditioner up several degrees when I came home, as I found it running for about 20 minutes, shutting off for 5, and then starting in again.

Unfortunately, we're going to be like this at least through Friday.

On the bright side, Engineering at work keeps my office at about 66°F all year round.

• 3 weeks later...

The difference between my thinking and my wife's thinking. Setting: Shop-Ko (a mid-level department store, two notches up from Walmart).

Her: "What time is it?"

Me: "8:33 p.m."

My thinking: "...and we still need to get the kids home and in bed, and I need to get to bed because I have to get up at 5:00 for work. Let's pick up the pace."

Her thinking: "Oh, good, the store doesn't close for another hour and a half! As long as I'm in the checkout line by then, we should be good."

Patience is a virtue...I keep telling myself that....

The newly-revised procedure never specifically instructed the students to add the ethylenediamine to the reaction. And I didn't catch that fact as I skimmed over it.

Net result: My students spent nearly two hours in the lab today turning cobalt (II) chloride into...cobalt (II) chloride.

What a colossal waste of time.

Heh. I remember the fabulous lab I did back in the day, when we were supposed to be replacing the copper in in cupric chloride with aluminum. As I found out when I got a snootful of it when I looked in the cooking dish, we may have been doing that, but we were also releasing chlorine from the mess.

Among the reasons I decided against becoming a chemist.