The cranky thread

Hermit

The car won't turn on. I get the "check engine" light, and that's about it. I'm waiting for roadside assistance to arrive, and possibly give me a jump, though that's going to be interesting on a Prius (12V battery's in the back, under the rear deck--and the hatchback that won't unlock).

I've called my boss to let him know that I'll be late.

The jump start worked, and I was able to drive it without issue to and from work, with a stop at the grocery store on the way home.

The car actually came on immediately when he applied the jump start box to the engine (one lead apparently goes on a rail under the fuse box lid, the other on a rail on the engine itself). It almost felt like the car needed to reboot before the controls would work, and the jump start apparently took care of that. Main driving battery was showing almost full, but power for starting the engine and running the lights and onboard electronics use the 12V system. The car's clock was off by about 30 minutes, which would be roughly the point where I attempted to start it.

Toyota Care was pretty awesome, and took care of everything.

So, I found out that I was allergic to Sulfa-based medications.

I also found out that if it takes two epinephrine shots within minutes of each other to stop the swelling in the back of your mouth*, they'll keep you over for observation, and you'll have to wear heart monitoring equipment the whole time.

The good news is I'm now home, a little bit sore and bruised where the IV lines were. The bad news is I have no idea what my insurance will pick up for this (hopefully, nearly everything, considering that it was a life-threatening emergency).

*Thankfully, the swelling didn't block my trachea, and I could still breathe through my nose. I couldn't talk when I got to the emergency room, and instead pointed to my throat and then handed the pills to the person at the check-in window. It's perhaps the scariest thing that I've ever been through, but the folks at the ER were really on top of their game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's see if I can ruin another keyboard in the same way as I did yesterday, dumping half a cup of coffee on it.

The old one almost worked after that, but I couldn't get it to give me a lower case "o" after I'd done all I could to clean it up.  Capital "O" yes; lower case, no.