The cranky thread

Hermit

Crappy day, continuation of a crappy weekend.

I ordered a whetstone online for a friend. I found the package on my front porch, nowhere near my front door. It wasn't even in a box, and no padding. I told my friend to let me know if it was damaged. Sure enough, it was broken. I had to go and return it.

If the replacement also arrives broken, I'm gonna scream bloody murder.

My late wife was a hoarder, and I kind of hit a point after getting rid of 40 boxes or so that I didn't really want to go through the remaining stuff. Somewhere around the time my Mom died (two years ago), I went into a funk where I didn't really pay much attention to the house, and I let more clutter build up.

I think that I'm coming out of that funk, and this week has been productive in clearing some of the detritus. I'm going to bring three banker's boxes of assorted crafting supplies and quilt books to a nearby thrift store in a few minutes. I figure if I can keep it up, I should be able to bring another load to them on Saturday.

I should also be able to get rid of a couple of bankers boxes of cross stitch books to a friend, and that will also be a help.

On 8/17/2018 at 2:10 PM, Cancer said:

As well as such things go.  Second appointment is in two weeks to put the permanent crown in place.

I was premature.  They need to see me tomorrow to redo part of the first appointment.  Grrrr.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a really old email account that accumulates a fair amount of spam, and, while setting up a rule to filter that out in a new email client, I set up a rule incorrectly, which then "trained" the client to dump just about everything into the folder. So, I usually go through and mark the good stuff as "not spam" so that it will be taken out of that list. That means that I get to see the sanitized headers/emails without links in my box before deleting. Some are sort of interesting, like badly-worded scams from "totally honest" people who want me to smuggle out money from foreign countries. Today, there was one that had apparently mined the last couple of digits of a telephone number, and decided to tell me that I had downloaded malware to my phone, that they had my full contact list, and that they had activated the camera and recorded a couple of hours of video, and that I had 48 hours to contact them or else. Now, that all confused me for a moment, until I realized that the last two digits that they had given me were those of the home phone number--one of those things that most folks don't have anymore that doesn't have a camera, can't download malware or apps, and certainly doesn't store contacts.

They are testing some of the fire safety systems in the science & engineering building/s (actually 2 different structures, but joined together when the second one was put in) today. 

The testing is failing. 

There is water cascading down the stairwell joining the two buildings. 

My Physics office is 2 doors down from that stairwell.

Mobile has excellent drainage and most of the houses near the water are up on cinder blocks  or columns. We used to play under the house in the summer to stay cool. This house is lucky and tough, been thru Camille(back when I was in grade school), Frederick( parts of the roof and some windows) and Katrina(loss of power for days). IH-10 is elevated and serves as a levee and we're a fence and access road away.

Are you up on a slope (and not in a drainage gully/dry streambed)?  And what exactly is the coverage for?

Here ... if you're in a place where flooding might happen, only the feds will sell that coverage.  Now, this place has a significant river valley and former estuary making up, oh, a quarter of the city area, maybe, and when Rainier blows the lahar will smash all of that and bury it under pyroclastic flow.

I live at the very north edge of Seattle (and I work on Pill Hill) so neither one will get me personally.  I was under the impression that the Duwamish Valley is pretty high risk for flows if Rainier has a northward lateral blast.  Pyroclastics are a stretch in any case, I recognize.