Hermit

The cranky thread

What decaying, mindless aborted idiot fetuses of dungbeetle marketing lowlifes designed the formatting controls in Excel? 

A more viciously asinine unhelpful interface could only be designed when there was actual intelligence engaged in fulfilling the obvious active malice and intent to obfuscate. 

Bayonetting everyone to do with those guilty-of-incestuous-rape development, marketing, and specification teams, leaving them tied to the posts while the jackals and crows feasted on their not-yet-dead bowels dangling in the hot Saharan sun, would be too quick and kind, while chaining them butt-upward over a concrete bar and pouring copious quantities of molten iron into their ventral orifices would be too wasteful of good metal.  The concept I presently favor is locking them all up, each in their own person-sized individual thick-walled ceramic battery jar with a heavy steel grate locked down to hold them in, and feeding them richly and never letting them out, ultimately letting them drown in their own excrement over the course of months.  Only that approaches the torment they have imposed on those obliged to use their inflamed, infected hemorrhoid of a product for actual representation of numerical data, as opposed to content-free marketing drivel of kind favored nowadays by executives who want nothing like rational thought to constrain their choices.

I live in the San Fernando Valley, in Los Angeles.The mandatory evacuation zone for Woolsey fire is a few miles to the south, the mandatory evacuation zone for the Bell Canyon arm even closer to the north (4 blocks), a voluntary evacuation zone ends a half a block west. And the winds are changing. I guess my honey badger bathroom may not be a problem for long.  I will be leaving if the flames get much closer.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, Cancer said:

Ow.  Recover well, and I hope life gets better and options reopen for you.

Oh, the ironic thing, is I feel great now, that I have my diet, and excercise regimen in place. I just still have tubes in my neck.

In other News, California is on Fire again. In norther California, the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento has been erased. Luckily my Ex-GF and her hubby and pets escaped (We are still friends). Here in SoCal, we also have a fire, in Malibu, and it is giving the area, what Johnny Carson called, "Chunky Style Air".  here are some photos around my neighborhood.:

2018-11-10 15.05.16.jpg

2018-11-10 15.06.38.jpg

2018-11-10 15.21.52.jpg

2018-11-10 16.34.23.jpg

2018-11-10 16.45.14.jpg

2018-11-10 16.47.50.jpg

The smoke is affecting the Bay Area. The smoke looked like thick fog outside my house today, and the other night the smell of smoke was in my kitchen at 3 am (the windows were all shut, btw). I decided to stay home today to avoid brething in that crap.

5 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

The smoke is affecting the Bay Area. The smoke looked like thick fog outside my house today, and the other night the smell of smoke was in my kitchen at 3 am (the windows were all shut, btw). I decided to stay home today to avoid brething in that crap.

ZMy friend Francis H. reported to me, that he's in Palo Alto, and his street looked like something out of "Silent Hill", so the bay Area must be getting the Butte fire smoke pretty badly.

Thanks, Old Man. My area is pretty far away from the fire, so there's little chance of it spreading here. The smoke, however, spreads everywhere. Walking to work the last couple of days wasn't a pleasant experience because I could smell the smoke the whole time.

The power went out around 2:00 a.m. here. It's currently 30F (-1C) outside. But it's still 65F (18C) inside, so still tolerable. Power is expected back in ~2 hours. (First estimate: Power expected back an hour ago, so who knows?)

The worst thing for me: No power = no CPAP.  Not a good night's sleep.

So the smoke is gone, but I walked out of my building this morning, smack into crime scene   tape.  Not a fan of Cannabis Dispensaries, and there is one on the first floor storefront of my building. Apparently it was robbed, and two people were killed in the resultant shooting.  In a supreme irony, the shooting happened at 4:20 am in the morning (The place is 24 hours). I didn't hear a thing from the 3rd floor, and treated it as a normal morning, until I had to pass through a police line to get eggs for my breakfast. Took some snaps of the proceedings from across the street. 1645565401_2018-11-1208_27_13.thumb.jpg.9e8d85f4242a87bd8441d923f8ec1008.jpg

So upon my return from the clinic, there are more detective's cars (all shiny Chrysler 300's, and chargers), and to Coroner's Astrovans.  Ah well. At least the smoke is gone from here.

513778481_2018-11-1215_39_16.thumb.jpg.812470720f71b7c4664f242b5b487abf.jpg

So just as I'm recovering from a bacterial infection in my throat, Lady P just found out that she has a viral infection in hers. She's supposed to avoid human contact as much as possible for the next 4 or 5 days. Pretty tricky when you got two kids 8 and younger.

14 hours ago, Old Man said:

Newer boy did not advance out of the regional robotics tournament.  After I already registered to volunteer at states.  Some questionable judging, but what are you gonna do?

Go on an epic Twitter rant for three days and claim that the judges were blatantly unfair?

The air quality this week has been exceptionally bad. The smoke still looks like thick fog. A lot of folks, myself included, are wearing masks when walking outside. It's like being in a dystopian scifi movie. Rain would clear out the smoke and help with the wildfires, but there's no rain in sight.

Either the radiator cap that the mechanic gave me leaks... or the head gasket has gotten so bad that the engine is boiling off all the coolant.  The day before Thanksgiving.

I’m guessing it’s not the $20 problem. 

No, I checked. There is some oil consumption, nothing outrageous, but I did notice some oil in the coolant a few weeks ago. The mechanic, not wanting to accept reality, changed the coolant (and the radiator cap) and said to drive it for a bit and see if it happens again. So... all signs point to head gasket, really. I’ll certainly try changing the radiator cap though. 

Good luck.  I've had cars with bad head gaskets twice, but both times it was not worth fixing it.  Once I ripped off a dealer by getting $300 trade-in on a car that got 500 miles to the quart when I bought my first new car.  The other time we gave it to the homeless guy who was doing random labor for us in exchange for a dozen hours work (and again after a few weeks we bought a new car).

Good news! I replaced the radiator cap this morning and ran the engine, and the cap was not the problem--the radiator itself is leaking!  So it's only a few hundred dollar fix and I can put off the inevitable $2000 head gasket job until I have more money Oh who am I kidding?  Later, anyway.