The cranky thread

Hermit

I read stories about good project managers, but I think they are all elaborate fictions.  Every project manager I have first or even second hand knowledge of were ruthless and clueless political climbers, with a propensity for lauching projects that even trivial thought should convince you had utterly no hope of ever working, and a fierce cunning determination to detach themselves from same when they saw the feces about to strike the fanblades.

As above, I recommend thallium salts, and prussian blue for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday evening had an episode where the right front wheel of my car was making rather unpleasant noises.  At one point it got so bad I can only call it screaming; the only thing like it I have heard before is the screaming noise you get when you use a power saw on sheet metal.  Then, abruptly, it stopped.  I gingerly drove the car home and swapped for my wife's car, which made me half an hour late for the game session (not too bad as things go).

Drove the car to the dealer this morning (no wheel screaming) and they looked at the wheel.  Nothing they can say for certain (since it wasn't doing it any more) but the leading hypothesis is a "rock" got in there between the brake disk in the wheel and the brake pad, and everything complained bitterly and loudly until the thing popped out.  (It did stop right after I had backed out of a parking space and resumed going forward, and that is plausible as a mechanism to disengage said rock.) 

For a while we were afraid of an episode of what an ex-roommate of mine called "the jealous car theory" ... when major other stuff is going on, the car decides it is feeling neglected and throws you an expensive repair job to go with everything else.

Housemate's mother decided to bad mouth her own daughter again...

The one who takes her to physical therapy twice a week.  The Daughter who took her to see a musical because it was the nice thing to do. The daughter who she expects to drop everything on her so much as slightest whim.

ungrateful hellbeast

6 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I hope I don't turn into that sort of parasite, but at age 62 I have creeping doubts about that sort of stuff.

I don't mind her needing help. I didn't mind helping her into her chair when she fell. I didn't mind taking her disposables out to the trash. I don't mind restocking her drinks in her mini fridge.

I sure as hell mind when she acts like an ingrateful hell beast to the people who are trying to make sure she stays as healthy as possible and bending over backwards  in their own lives, especially to her own daughter who is one of my friends.

Parasites I can stand, utterly selfish narcissistic ingrates engaging in slander and headgames? Not so much.

When that happened to us, (1) the drips were coming down on my computer desk, and (2) we replaced it with a tankless heater.  More out of pocket than another tank heater, but it meant showers are no longer limited by the tank, and people can take showers back to back without realizing running out of hot water.  With 3.5 adults in the house, that last is important.

Also by accident there was an energy credit applicable so we got some piddly amount on our Schedule A.

I received a call on my cell yesterday from the home warranty company, who wanted to tell me what wasn't covered with the water heater replacement (permits, new vent, new valve, pressure regulator), along with the cost. I figure that I'll be paying about half of what the total bill would have been out of pocket.

When I got home, I found a call on my home phone line asking me to call the contractor. I finally reached them this morning, and the person who answered the phone quietly asked me if I'd already spoken with my home warranty company. I answered in the affirmative, and rattled off the above items, along with the cost. He then asked me if I was okay with that. I laughed and said that I really wanted hot water again, so yes. He then quietly provided information about payment options, and proceeded to ask me if I was okay with it another three times as he processed my credit card. I'm guessing that they get yelled at a lot. (As I was writing this, I realized that most folks wouldn't have had an emergency fund that they could hit for a repair like this, and that might also be what he was asking).

I have an appointment for Wednesday afternoon, so I'll only miss about 2 1/2 hours of pay for the day, which could have been much worse. One more cold shower tomorrow morning, though.

Where we have our house parked, the main house needed to be repiped due to old decaying pipes.  (And I got to point that out to the landlord since we were having some work done to make our house legal to park)

During the results of inspections etc..., the plumber and inspector were quite fascinated in the water heater in the garage.  It dates to sometime in the 80s according to them.   It was still OK, but apparently the work nudged it out of whack, so the house people are mentioning very short hot water time.  They're trying to get it replaced, but apparently that is being difficult.

Doesn't really impact me since we have a tankless for the tiny house, but I seem to be the "responsible" person who can talk to plumbers/etc... while the landlord's son isn't around.  (He lives there, but is on an extended trip)