The cranky thread

Hermit

On 6/19/2019 at 9:12 AM, Logan.1179 said:

Thanks, all. I'm still dealing with it mentally, and we'll see about what it does to me physically. I've been looking back on my medical history, and I think my first flare-up was in 2009, but we didn't even think of looking for something like this. 

I was diagnosed with it not too long ago myself.  Fortunately, I'm on a medicine that seems to be doing a good job of slowing, if not outright stopping, the progress of the disease.  You have my sympathy and I wish you the best of luck coping with it.

And now for something minor, petty, and likely affects no more than five other people who frequent this board.

Unless things change fast ... Pokemon Sword and Shield won't have a National Pokedex.  Not just a matter of 'you can't catch these Pokemon in SwSh', they literally won't be coded into the game and you won't be able to transfer them into the game IN ANY WAY.

Game Freak (GF) has put forth a few excuses ... competitive balance, and not having the resources to create the 3D Switch models for 800+ Pokemon.  I don't buy either of these, myself.  GF has obviously not cared too much about balance, and if that was an issue, they could just put a 'Galar Pokemon only' clause in the Battle Spot/Online Ranking/whatever (possibly as an option).  As to the second, Pokemon is THE highest grossing media franchise EVER, bigger than Mario, bigger than Star Wars, bigger than Hello Kitty, EVERYTHING.  They can afford to hire additional graphical artists or programmers or whoever.  Especially since you only really need four animations for each model (idle/standing, melee attack, ranged attack, reacting to a hit); everything else is just manipulating the model (for example, Tail Whip just involves rotating the model a bit and adding a small graphics effect behind it; EVERY model did the same thing with that move).  And I wouldn't be surprised if they could just tweak most of the 3DS models from Ultra Sun/Moon for the not-new Pokemon in SwSh.

The likely REAL reasons ... 1. They want the game out for a Christmas release and don't believe in Shigeru Miyamoto's 'A delayed game will eventually be good, but a bad game released will always be bad' (paraphrased) and 2 ...

Pokemon GO.  In the 3 years or so GO has been out, it's made 5% of Pokemon's colossal gross income.  GF is allocating more of its resources from the actual main series games into their bastardized mobile offerings because they're more profitable.

To me, this just means SwSh is going to be released in an incomplete state.  Unless they release FREE updates adding the older Pokemon into the game, I will NOT be buying it and I've been a loyal Pokemon player since Gen 2 (Pokemon Crystal, 2000).

My root canal experience (back early 1980s) included nitrous oxide, and induced paranoid delusions (or perhaps more correctly, let them out where I had to work actively to suppress them).  Not actually painful to speak of, but having to argue with yourself about whether the dentist is extracting your entire central nervous system through that little hole in your jaw is a little ... disturbing.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:44 AM, L. Marcus said:

I had a root canal last year. I requested a sedative beforehand -- last thing I remembered was sitting down in the sofa outside the op room, the next thing I recall is waking up just at the end of the procedure. Mirtazapin, I think it was I got; worked a treat!

Mirtzapine??!!!

A doctor prescribed me that as a fracking SLEEP AID earlier this year.

To her credit, it worked ... but still, if it's used as a freakin' surgical sedative, no wonder it knocked me out so hard!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the thing I hate most about my life is the amount of time I spend dealing with poop. I have two kids, and neither one of them is potty trained as well as a five month old German Shepherd. Our daughter is nine years old and developmentally delayed.  She’s nonverbal, and so she has no effective way of letting us know that her diaper is full. So unless we check her every 15 minutes it ends up all over the inside of her clothes. Because, you know, we don’t have enough laundry to do with two young children as it is. My five-year-old son is perfectly capable of going to the bathroom by himself, but he just won’t. We’ve tried everything: encouragement, bribery,  withholding screen time and other similar unpleasant consequences. None of it works.  He can do it, he just doesn’t want to. He’s perfectly content, it seems,  to sit around in his own filth.  And, this is the fourth consecutive night that I’m putting new sheets on his bed because it smells like pee when he wakes up.  We have plastic liners on both of their beds, so at least we aren’t having to clean the mattresses every frelling day.  But seriously, when does this get better? I hope it is soon, because I’m going to lose my damn mind if it’s not. 

The church building Lady P and I attended a few years ago caught fire around 2:45 a.m. Sunday morning. Damage is extensive; if the roof is as bad as it looks, the building may be a total loss.

Investigators suspect arson.

Thanks, guys. It's really not as bad as all that; I've just been frustrated about a lot of (comparatively) minor things, and I needed to vent. We're all doing okay; life just isn't quite what we expected exactly now.

Or, in the words of Joseph F. Walsh, "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."

22 hours ago, Pariah said:

Thanks, guys. It's really not as bad as all that; I've just been frustrated about a lot of (comparatively) minor things, and I needed to vent. We're all doing okay; life just isn't quite what we expected exactly now.

Or, in the words of Joseph F. Walsh, "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."

I'm reminded of a T-Shirt I saw.

"Dear Life: I am fully aware that you are unfair.  You can stop reminding me any time now."

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna lose a couple of relatives on the wife's side soon.  Aunt got a leukemia diagnosis (she is in her 80's).  A cousin, between my wife & her older sister in age, has rapidly progressing ALS, is already in a wheelchair and with crabbed hands.

1 hour ago, CrosshairCollie said:

So, I just discovered with absolute certainty that stinging insects still give me panic attacks.  One guess how.

I've been fighting a battle with invasive paper wasps here for years.  They love to nest under the eaves of the house, but I discovered that they will also nest in other places, like under the leaves of plants that I'm weeding next to.  Or under the propane grill.*

I'm also losing this battle because I can't figure out how to bait the fkn things.  Juice?  Nope.  Wine?  Nope.  Rotten fruit?  Nope.  Rotten meat?  Nope.  Instead I have to track the things to their lair and do battle with them there, and that's useless for the ones that are inaccessible or off property.

* Once they actually nested inside the propane grill, so at least that time it was an easy problem to solve.