The cranky thread

Hermit

Took my kiddo to the pool yesterday and played around for an hour.

As I was resting my geriatric ass at the edge of the pool I noticed that 2/3rds of the parents were on loungers tapping away on their phones instead of actually playing with their kids or even watching to see if they were still alive.

I would rate my affection for video games and electronics as unhealthy and even I have the sense to actually spend the time with my kid.

FFS!

I have been trying to get at least one level a day at the games since I started playing them. With the exception of days off I have been successful. Until yesterday when despite numerous run throughs I could not get one level in any of the games. Today in the first run through I get a level. It breaks a 300 day uninterrupted streak.

Sunday should be fun. My brother and family are turning up to see mum. I have not seen them since 2005 except my brother and we don't talk. This is going to be fun

Glad everything went okay, DT. Continued good wishes for your mother.

My situation isn't as bad, but still annoying....

I crashed my new drone while test flying it. One motor wasn't working. I watched a video on YouTube about how to fix your drones and tried a solution. Now two motors aren't working.

And I seem to have lost one of my bottles of fluorescent paint that I need for a project.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. There were apparently four guys in the car--all of whom had been drinking--that hit our friend and her daughter. The daughter died immediately, the mother survived almost a month before she succumbed to her injuries. The four guys in the car all survived.

Drunk driving never kills the right people.

So, one of the things that put off us buying and moving into the house was that it needed some foundation work, because the basement leaked.  This was put off for three months, the walls have these weird anchor things in them now which will probably stop us from truly finishing the basement like we want to.  But, this was supposed to prevent leaking and risking damaging anything in the basement.

It's.  Still. F***ing. Leaking.  Even a moderate rain has water coming in through the walls they specifically worked on, with those big anchor things, and I just completely lost my s**t, screaming at the top of my lungs, using every swear word I know, and kicking an empty cardboard box around.

This was a mistake.  THIS WAS ALL A HUGE MISTAKE.  A F***ING $150,000 MISTAKE.  A mistake I'm going to be paying for for the next 30 years.  What was I thinking?  I knew, deep down, this wasn't going to work, because I'm not allowed to have anything good happen to me.  I'm just life's f***ing punching bag.

Condolences, CC. I know the feeling.

I brought lunch to work, including a bottle of soda (about a third full). I was eating at my desk and decided to drink the soda. The bottle slipped from my hand and fell to the floor, spilling almost all the soda. The carpet under me was wet. My trousers were wet. Even my shoes were wet. Since I had removed my right shoe because my feet have been cramping up lately, soda got inside my shoe. I had to spend the rest of the work day in that condition. I took a Lyft home instead of waiting for the train just so I could change my clothes.

Some days, even a simple meal has to turn into a major drama!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an idiot. I got on the train this afternoon and left my school-issued iPad at the station. I got on the first train back as soon as I realized what I had done, but by the time I got back to the station it was gone.

I called the transit company, and they haven't had anything turned in yet. They're closed for the night, so I have to call them back in the morning.

I logged into Apple's website and activated Find Lost Device mode. Nothing. So I went to class.

I just tried to login again, and after accepting my username and password, the website asked me some security questions. For some reason, I can't remember exactly how I phrased the answers when I set this thing up five years ago, so after two or three unsuccessful attempts, I clicked the link to reset my security questions. The website responded by saying, "We don't have enough information for you to reset your security questions."

If you already have my correct username and password, why do you need the security questions too?!

Overall, a very frustrating experience.

My mother got up this morning with a nose bleed which would not quit so she called the ambulance as today is the next day of her chemotherapy and she had concerns about it. The ambulance staff were very nice and took her off to the hospital as well so she is having chemo today. The diarrhea attacks had only just subsided two days ago.

I comfort myself in that it could be much worse.

After two days when she was feeling alright, Mum suffered a bad pain and was taken back into hospital as a precaution. The doctors believe it might be related to the diarrhea attacks. Yesterday she went out to the butchers and got a lot of lamb chops, pork chops, kidney, liver and duck breast and we were going to have the latter today.

So Mum needs an operation as she has a perforated bowel. The surgeon rang me about her quality of life which looking back is a little disturbing. If she had more chemo then she would have had no white blood cells and that would have been that. As it is he told me she has a 20% chance of not making it which is better than a 80% of not making it. And people are asking me how I am coping. I was told they would be operating as soon as possible today so now we wait.

Nothing as serious as what I'm seeing above, but I've developed a bizarre super-power in my old age.

I can get pimples on the inside of my eyelid on a recurring basis.

The plus side is that there's a readily available antibiotic for this problem.

The downside is that it causes unbelievable diarrhea and cramping.

Woke up this morning with my eye swollen nearly shut again.  Time for my pills.  :(

Got called by the doctor to say that my mother survived and she is in one of the ICU wards. The surgeon said in a rather jolly fashion that they had cleaned out the puss which if it had been allowed to stay would have killed her. I understand that doctors have to have a coping mechanism but still it grates. Saw her briefly and visiting times are 6 hours, 11-2 and 4-7. Passed info around and also contacted friends.