The cranky thread

Hermit

I'm not so much cranky as sad. I figure writing this might help. 

Last week, on Halloween night, a black cat tried to adopt me.

I thought it belonged to a neighbor because I've seen it around before, but apparently it's just a neighborhood cat. It was the nicest cat I've ever met, not scared at all. I ended up petting it much longer than I should have because Dex (my tabby) is quite territorial and hates other cats. It tried to come in, but I wouldn't let it. It seems it stayed outside of my window for the rest of the night.

A couple days later I saw it again, and I petted it. It's a long hair and the fur is matted with bits of sticks in it. Again, so friendly. It has one bad eye and a bit of ear is missing. All it wants is some human attention and care. I can't adopt it though because of Dex. I totally would if I could, it's very sweet.

Then it found the back of the house and the cat door. It came inside and started eating Dex's food. Fortunately Dex was lazing elsewhere and didn't see it. I had to put it out and give it a bit of a scare to get it to stay out, which was very tough. That night it came back and tried to get in again, but Dex was there. The resulting cat fight was so loud it woke me up at the other end of the house.

I haven't seen the cat since. I think Dex made his point clear. I can't help but feel that I raised a bully. This poor black cat was no danger to anyone, it was just alone and scared. My heart is still breaking over it. Then that poor black cat on MNF made the news and I nearly cried thinking about how scared my little friend was.

I hope he's not gone from the neighborhood, even if I can't adopt him myself. I wish so much Dex could tolerate other cats, but there's nothing to be done for that now.

I even named the poor black cat, though it doesn't know that. I'm heartbroken.

• 2 weeks later...

I came >this close< to punching my idiot brother-in-law tonight. We went over to bring Grandma dinner, and IBIL (who lives in Grandma's basement, naturally) went off on Lady P and Grandma because nobody told him we were coming. He started a shouting match, pushed me, and made both our kids cry. I only refrained from calling the police because Grandma specifically asked me not to.

At this point, I'm not sure I want to go to Thanksgiving at Grandma's house on Thursday.

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Sorry, Pariah. The pain in my ass has dementia, yours just sounds like a jerk.

Thanks, Hermit. The fact is that he's mentally ill, but won't seek treatment. He knows he has bipolar disorder, and he thinks he can treat it with over the counter supplements and other such snake oil. He has this inherent mistrust of doctors, or maybe it's just that his job doesn't provide Insurance. One way or another though, he's not willing to do what's necessary to treat the problem.

Anyway, once he stopped screaming like the child that in many ways he still is, he, Lady P, and Grandma talked for about an hour and a half and I think mostly worked things out. I sat in an adjacent room and watched the kids (and listened to make sure that I wasn't going to have to bodily remove him from the situation). I think there is an understanding of a sort now.

I'm still only about 75% convinced I'm going to Thanksgiving at Grandma's house, though.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

You're a chemist.  Surely you have ... other ways ... of eliminating a problem like this.

That's true, but I'm teaching more physics than chemistry these days. Many of the ... potential solutions ... that I've contemplated involve the judicious application of force in various ways (e.g., carpe jugulum).

15 hours ago, Pariah said:

Thanks, Hermit. The fact is that he's mentally ill, but won't seek treatment. He knows he has bipolar disorder, and he thinks he can treat it with over the counter supplements and other such snake oil. He has this inherent mistrust of doctors, or maybe it's just that his job doesn't provide Insurance. One way or another though, he's not willing to do what's necessary to treat the problem.

Anyway, once he stopped screaming like the child that in many ways he still is, he, Lady P, and Grandma talked for about an hour and a half and I think mostly worked things out. I sat in an adjacent room and watched the kids (and listened to make sure that I wasn't going to have to bodily remove him from the situation). I think there is an understanding of a sort now.

I'm still only about 75% convinced I'm going to Thanksgiving at Grandma's house, though.

Ah, well, I have a bit more sympathy for him, but only a bit.

Glad somethings got smoothed over or at least eased.

So we have an appointment at the hospital for 10 and get there for 9:45. A friend drops us off and waits o I can be brought back with the wheelchair we have. It goes through several people and we are told we have to go to Oncology on floor 2. (We are on floor 8 ). as we have an appointment. No that appointment was cancelled by me as we have the appointment for Chemo beforehand. No we have to go to oncology with the medical records Fine. We go down to oncology and guess what ? The appointment was cancelled by me as it clashed with the chemo one. So we have to go home and wait for a new appointment for oncology.