The cranky thread

Hermit

I barely got any sleep last night because of a bout of insomnia. This was despite working a six-day week. The worst part was the electricity was out until 6 am today, so I couldn't read or watch TV. My laptop was charged, but there was no internet access. I took something to help me sleep, but that didn't work either. So I just lay in bed, and time seemed to drag on.

8 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Apparently, credit cards can still charge you residual interest after you've paid off your debts.

If your card uses the average daily balance method for calculating interest, new interest charges accrue daily until the full balance including new interest is paid. It's always a good idea to call up the company and ask for a payoff balance, which they will calculate based upon when the payment will be processed.

Back in December I cut cable TV and retained only internet.

Yesterday I got a call from Frontier that they were about to cut my internet.

Apparently they set up a new account for me for the same internet service I already had, but left the one with no active services on it open too.

So the account I didn't know about - which had no email address tied to it - but was set to email invoices (go green!) was behind in payments...

It was a struggle to not go off on the customer service rep.  How the f*ck would I know I'm late when my account has been on autopay for years and nobody told me there was a new account and I'm not being physically mailed invoices??!!

It's all sorted, but not the kind of crap I needed to deal with the same week I got my wife out of the hospital for the 3rd time in a month.

I miss Verizon so much.

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

If your card uses the average daily balance method for calculating interest, new interest charges accrue daily until the full balance including new interest is paid. It's always a good idea to call up the company and ask for a payoff balance, which they will calculate based upon when the payment will be processed.

43 minutes ago, Cancer said:

... and you can accrue late fees in addition to that interest, as my mother never seemed to learn.

I just spoke to a representative, who said the fee can be waived, so I won't have to pay it. I should have asked for written confirmation.

Credit card phone calls make it so hard to speak with an actual person nowadays. I had to jump through hoops before being given the option of speaking with a live representative.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:07 AM, tkdguy said:

I just spoke to a representative, who said the fee can be waived, so I won't have to pay it. I should have asked for written confirmation.

Credit card phone calls make it so hard to speak with an actual person nowadays. I had to jump through hoops before being given the option of speaking with a live representative.

I knew something like this would happen!

You know the fee that got waived? It's back! Plus the other card, which showed a zero balance is charging me again. I can't get anyone to speak with, online or on the phone. I suspect nobody is there. I can pay it online, but the new fees will come up next month. I want to be able to pay everything off, so I don't get nickle and dimed to death.

I can't stop cursing today. I just can't do it here without getting banned.

EDIT: I went to the bank to get this sorted out, and the people were no help at all. I can't even do it online because my account has been closed for years.

Stressful week. Problems with credit card companies, problems with filing for unemployment online.

Stepfather's birthday party got cancelled due to current situation. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to get him. I go to Amazon to order a gift. It will arrive on time. But I forgot to go to Amazon Smile, which would have made a donation to my charity if I had shopped there.

That it? Wait, almost forgot my half-sister's birthday. I don't know her current address, so I sent her birthday wishes.

Then I remembered I totally forgot my best friend's birthday. I didn't even call.