The cranky thread

Hermit

My refrigerator/freezer has been out for three days.

Supposedly the repairman has fixed it but it'll be 24 hours before it starts to put out a significant amount of cooling.

====

My wife is having breathing problems. Her blood oxygen is down to 93 while she's awake but she's visibly and audibly struggling.

====

The guy who's wanting to buy our RV is pressuring us to buy a battery so he can hear it running then empty all of our crap out of it. He's willing to take out the old one and install the new one but he wants us to go through the hassle of buying the battery and getting it here.

I've barely been able to stagger to the bathroom without hurting myself for the last three or four days (I've lost count) and have gone in and out of being able to form audible words.

My daughter and I managed to take a photo of the battery and go to Auto Zone to get a replacement. We also had to buy a gas can because the RV is out of gas and I can't find my gas can. I had to buy a two gallon can because I can't lift anything heavier.

We bought a can full of gas, got home, now I can't get the gas to come out of the nozzle of the can. I have no idea why. I don't know if I've mentioned that I've got no mechanical aptitude at all with anything no matter how simple even when my brain and body are working.

After I rest, I'm going to try to figure out what's wrong. If I can't, I'll tell the guy who's wanting to look at the RV and maybe he can figure it out.

====

We finally got the solar installed on the roof over the last several days. It was supposed to be a one day install and done. But they still haven't shown up to get us hooked into the wireless system and app so we can monitor the system and see how it's working.

We've had workmen tromping in and out without much explanation. When they left for good, they didn't give us any notice that they were leaving and they left a couple of heavy things for us to move back into place.

====

My wife and daughter went car shopping and got a 2019 Ford Fusion to replace the wrecked Toyota Camry. Don't remember what day that happened but it was the last day I was entirely lucid.

My daughter is still doing physical therapy from the wreck, is in pain, and is having trouble bending over or lifting anything.

She's off on scheduled vacation time this week. She was supposed to go back to work next week but they didn't schedule her any hours. The way our life is going, having her get some additional unpaid time off would probably be helpful since neither my wife or I have been able to do much. But she's going to have to check to make sure her employer knows she's available to go back to work and that they haven't screwed up her paperwork (again).

====

Something else happened with workmen tromping through the house over the past week but hell if I can remember what was going on.

Having workmen in the house always aggravates both my mental and physical problems. 

====

Managed to find a photo of our missing cat and posted it to the city's animal shelter along with her microchip number. The local shelters (whether public or private) in the surrounding cities and suburbs are supposed to check the list when any animals are found (rather than executing them or putting them up for adoption).

I've been trying to check the various city and suburb shelter websites but it's been difficult since the missing cat is effectively my emotional support animal. So doing something that is stressful that's about my emotional support while not having emotional support is proving to be exceptionally difficult.

My wife is breathing somewhat better this morning. She spent from yesterday afternoon through this morning at home on oxygen. I spent most of yesterday certain that I'd have to take her to the emergency room, so somewhat better is good.

====

The refrigerator is running but I'm too tired to catch it: ba dum bum < cymbals crash >

====

The guy came to look at the RV. There's a clamp on the old battery which he can't remove. But he lifted up the new battery into place and we started the engine so he could see how it ran.

It was running really loudly as if there was a huge hole in the muffler.

The guy crawled underneath: someone had taken a hacksaw and stole the catalytic converter off of it. The only good news was that he broke at least one blade doing it because we found that still on the ground under the RV.

So my wife is having to contact the insurance company plus try to call around to try to find someone who can either fix the thing without moving it or come out and install the new battery so my wife can attempt to drive it to some repair shop.

We'd spent the morning up until the guy showed up trying to get a start on moving our crap out of it. Considering my wife couldn't get out of a chair yesterday and I'd spent most of the week not being able to walk across a room without endangering myself, we made pretty good progress. Both of my daughters were helping.

====

I stayed verbal until last few minutes as the guy was leaving which was better than I'd expected.

====

When the restoration people were ripping up the flooring in the front room and drying things out, we had two stipulations:

1) we needed our file cabinet to be accessible since it has a lot of important paperwork in it like the RV and insurance stuff  

2) We needed the food pantry, which is on a large wire rolling rack, to be accessible.

I'd known for a while that they'd put the food pantry in the geographic center of all of the furniture so that it's completely inaccessible except for a few cans of cranberry sauce and some sunflower seeds on one end. But what I discovered this morning is that the file cabinet is stored right next to it and isn't accessible either without moving some rather heavy furniture then moving the file cabinet itself to make the drawers accessible.

====

I don't want anyone to get me wrong: this is my life. Things go like this for me all the time, I just usually don't take the time to share it because it makes me sound like one of those cranky old people who don't have anything to talk about other than how miserable their lives have been.

< sigh >

• 2 weeks later...

My phone apparently came unplugged and died in the middle of the night last night, so my alarm didn't go off and I woke up an hour late this morning. I managed to get to school in time for my first period class, but just barely.

Been a heck of a day already.

Let me say yet again that I think it's ridiculous that we spend almost two-thirds of the year pretending we don't know what time it is.

(Yes, I know that I said this last year. And the year before, and most likely the year before that, too. And I will almost certainly say it next year, unless our state legislature decides to do something about it. That's just how I am.)

If anyone actually used solar time, I'd be more sympathetic.

But no matter what you do, don't do it for the convenience of the e-commerce people.  Those idiots -- every one of them -- are wedded to a timekeeping system that turns into a pumpkin, irreparably, in bit less than eighteen years.  And fixing that is someone else's problem.

25 minutes ago, Cancer said:

But no matter what you do, don't do it for the convenience of the e-commerce people.  Those idiots -- every one of them -- are wedded to a timekeeping system that turns into a pumpkin, irreparably, in bit less than eighteen years.  And fixing that is someone else's problem.

"The e-commerce people" are unlikely to be affected by the epoch since I doubt they're running 32-bit anything by now.  I suppose the people most at risk are those still stuck on old *nix or Android systems, like old factories, or maybe power plants.  Basically systems from the late nineties or early noughties written before 64-bit support was widely available.