The cranky thread

Hermit

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

How... fun... did you think it would be? 

I was told they were going to go in below my ribs, and it would be easy-peasy, without much collateral damage. But b/c of the size of my diaphragm, they had to go between my ribs, with a much larger incision. Even then, I felt fine at first, didn't have enough pain for narcotic painkillers, so didn't fill my prescriptions. Then massive spike pain on day 7 sent me to the ER. After three or so days of using painkillers to be able to sleep, it subsided. I guess by then nerves were starting to heal more, and firing off.

They took out a benign tumor. Of course, if they hadn't, that tumor would have pinched my aorta shut eventually as it grew, so I don't know if I'd call it "benign" so much as "not cancer." The thing wasn't even causing any symptoms, just quietly sitting there. It was found on a chest X-ray taken when I went in because I had a fever a week after my gallbladder removal. I'm lucky they spotted it, or I'd have just woken up dead one morning and nobody would have known why.

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I was told they were going to go in below my ribs, and it would be easy-peasy, without much collateral damage. But b/c of the size of my diaphragm, they had to go between my ribs, with a much larger incision. Even then, I felt fine at first, didn't have enough pain for narcotic painkillers, so didn't fill my prescriptions. Then massive spike pain on day 7 sent me to the ER. After three or so days of using painkillers to be able to sleep, it subsided. I guess by then nerves were starting to heal more, and firing off.

They took out a benign tumor. Of course, if they hadn't, that tumor would have pinched my aorta shut eventually as it grew, so I don't know if I'd call it "benign" so much as "not cancer." The thing wasn't even causing any symptoms, just quietly sitting there. It was found on a chest X-ray taken when I went in because I had a fever a week after my gallbladder removal. I'm lucky they spotted it, or I'd have just woken up dead one morning and nobody would have known why.

Yeesh. Well, I’m glad you got the tumor before it got you. 

I just found out my current boss is leaving. She's being replaced by my former boss, who I don't like. That means I will be quitting too. It's not that he will force me out per se; it's just that I refuse to work with him again. I had been planning to leave soon anyway, just sooner than I had expected.

Well, the dementia in my Housemate's mother is no longer even a frequent visitor, it is now pretty much a resident. Only now, that she is insisting dead people are still alive, or that the house was moved 200 miles (it was not) to this new location, etc do the medical authorities finally seem to admit she is in no state to be housed at a place with stairs and those untrained in how to provide. Not that will make it any more affordable to get her into a decent memory care facility, but at least we may be able to bankrupt her in getting that care before they bankrupt themselves.

Still, if all goes well, early June is the SOONEST she will be finally be getting the full time care she needs.

Or dead. As she keeps trying to ignore everyone, and pack to drive off only to fall (Last night she got a nasty head gash and a short visit to the ER before they shoved her back here), it's possible she's going to kill her self on the steps first.

I really hate dealing with state-sponsored insurance. The incompetence is of such a level that it puts me from a good mood to an extremely foul mood in a matter of seconds. Their website sucks, and they never answer the phone. I wish I could find an affordable alternative. I have half a mind to cancel my services anyway just so I won't have to deal with these idiots anymore.

Of course, my scanner/printer isn't working properly, so that's only adding to my frustration. I'm fighting off the urge to take a hammer to it.

2 hours ago, archer said:

Did they just change the site again so that it's a whole lot less user-friendly?

I can no longer navigate from one forum to another without going through a series of menus and several other clunky changes.

I go to the main page when I change forums. It's been that way for a while now. I've notice slow loading times lately.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:25 AM, archer said:

Did they just change the site again so that it's a whole lot less user-friendly?

I can no longer navigate from one forum to another without going through a series of menus and several other clunky changes.

Yeah, it appears my crappy experience is only on Chrome which has taken away such features as:

Home > Forums > Other Forums > Non-Gaming Discussion links at the top and bottom of the page

The notification button at the top of the page is now hidden inside the menu button. 

and the links across the top of the page are missing for 

This would appear to be a major problem since there's no way any longer to access the store anymore from Chrome or to even know that sections like the store or the downloads section even exist.

@Simon

@Hermit

Not sure who should know about this so I just tagged you both.

54 minutes ago, Simon said:

All you.  Chrome works fine for me and the site does not have different versions for disparate browsers (other than mobile and desktop versions).

Thanks for the response. It was working fine until around 12:20 a.m. yesterday when between one click and the next in the General Discussion forum, the whole layout of the site changed with a lot of site features being deleted.

This seems to be the only site I frequent that changed.

It looks like maybe it suddenly after years decided my desktop is a mobile and is using the mobile version instead? If that's the case, I have no clue as to how to change it back.

I've done everything I know how to do except completely delete Chrome and download it again. Maybe that's my next step.

Again, thanks for the response.

I come here on Firefox (and have not noticed changes here), but other things I do require other browsers.  Chrome had a major revision rammed into my box in the last couple of days.  And I have had odd weird box-specific browser issues bite me here before.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

I come here on Firefox (and have not noticed changes here), but other things I do require other browsers.  Chrome had a major revision rammed into my box in the last couple of days.  And I have had odd weird box-specific browser issues bite me here before.

I'd have suspected the Chrome update was the sole culprit if I'd done the update while browsing this site. But I was clicking through the forums and literally between one click and the next, the site changed.

Are there any tech gurus on the forum who might know how to convince my computer/browser that my laptop isn't a mobile device so that it'll once again load the correct version of the website? Or maybe uninstall the Chrome update to revert back to their previous version?

Honestly changing browsers away from Chrome to something else isn't an option a good option. I started using Chrome because other browsers weren't handling other websites well and kept crashing. And apparently my laptop can't handle running Chrome plus another browser without them both malfunctioning.

edit: tried setting Chrome back to it's original settings. No effect on the problem I'm having (but it was a huge time suck as doing that logged me out of every website that I use for work in the background).