The cranky thread

Hermit

I get up multiple times per night plus have to flip end-to-end. So getting my BIPAP set up perfectly consists of having to do it over and over.

There's a lot of times that I don't manage to get back to sleep because of all the machinery on my head before I start hurting enough to have to do another end-to-end flip.

Finally, finally, back after I had to go dark here, which was the only way I could see being able to make it through Spring Quarter; resorting to tunnel vision seemed the only way to manage my obligations.  Mental health has been an elusive blob of quicksilver squirting across the linoleum floor of life amidst the mosh pit full of taser-armed rhinoceros jousters.  Posted lecture course grades Friday, and just a few minutes ago posted course grades for the lab course so those duties are all discharged.  Now, I have about ten days to pack up my office and empty it out so they can renovate that space, but I may be able to get more sleep than I have been accustomed to having since mid-March since the 8AM class is over.

Back in late April some of the symptoms of a stomach ulcer recurred, but going on a firm regimen of OTC acid reducers (and cutting out all alcohol) seems to have knocked that down.  (My first ulcer came six months before my wedding, when I tore a calf muscle playing softball, and while being treated for that, we learned the hard way that all I have to do is look at a box of naproxen sodium for my stomach lining to perforate.  Hence, I remembered the symptoms.  This was the first time they had resumed since that summer.)  Now I hope the macrame collection that is my collective back muscles will untangle, and wondering if I dare taking a celebratory shot of Irish.

Old, old co-worker and undergrad mentor and second postdoc boss finally passed away on Thursday after Mothers' Day.  I first met him in 1974, though I didn't start working with him for two years after that.  He'd been fine for the public get-together on his 90th birthday in January 2020, but I think he had a series of strokes last fall.  I finally got in to see him four days before he passed, but it was too late; he was not communicative.  OTOH, I "get" to take his place on a research project this summer, which entails getting a bunch of software installed on my machine, software that simultaneously (1) is still standard but (2) is no longer supported.  I expect my forehead to meet brick walls many times over the coming month.

Hobbes, senior resident cat, is dying of cancer.  He's about fourteen now.  Some veterinary intervention has kept him with us (and not, seemingly, uncomfortable) for about a month and a half now beyond when I initially expected to have to dig a new grave in the back yard, but because I seem to have a family curse that works that way, I'm now expecting him to check out on Fathers' Day.  We'll see.

Wife has been stressed and busy, as an old family-member-in-all-but-blood of hers passed away in January (he also was in his early 90's), and she (as one heir and a former attorney) is personal representative, so hers is the signature that needs to be on all the forms and so on.  Yes, she has retained a real lawyer to do as much of the work as possible, but there's still lots of papers to go over, trips make to the old house, sifting through what's in that, and dealing with what they discover.  So far they have only had to call the bomb squad once.

Housing market has gone nuts, so we have shelved our hunting for a retirement house for a while.  Not much to be done about that.  It would have been nice to have something well defined along those lines and started shifting possessions out of one place and into another on a leisurely basis, but that will just have to wait.

On the up side, I do have a job for a few more years as the university seems to have weathered the pandemic better than anticipated, and the incoming class is actually expected to be large.  It does mean I have a new gamut of classes compared to what I've been doing for the last five years or so, as a senior colleague has finally stepped off the final stage of phased retirement (she'll still have her off and do research, but no more teaching for her) and the department now goes from seven ongoing faculty down to six.  I get Math Meth again in the fall.  Happily I have my old notes from a few years back, but I need to get a new copy of the text.  And I get to teach quantum mechanics next spring for the first time ever....

We laid Mom to rest Friday morning in a simple funeral at the small cemetery in a remote mountain town in southwestern Montana. She not from there--she was born in Honolulu and grew up largely in southern Missouri--but it has been a gathering place for her family for decades. Her grave is right next to her mother's (Granny); her oldest sister is buried on Granny's other side. Dad will be buried next to Mom when his time comes. Mom's other siblings already have plots selected in the same row.

My cousin, an ordained Lutheran minister, conducted the service. She did a great job. My youngest brother read the obituary and I read the eulogy and dedicated the grave. My aunt and uncle (Mom's surviving siblings) each said a few words, as did Lady P. We had about 35 people at the service, which temporarily raised the town's population by a statistically significant percentage. Various get-togethers, formal and informal, followed over the next two days.

There will be a Celebration of Life event held in my Colorado hometown(s) this coming Saturday. As the following day is Father's Day here in the States, this is probably going to be a really hard week for Dad. 

We drive to Colorado tomorrow. Wish us luck!

7 hours ago, tkdguy said:

The new patch from LOTRO won't let me open the game today. I had no problems last night.

I got locked out with a patch several years ago then decided to give up on the game altogether rather than deal with whatever it was the game was trying to accomplish.

4 minutes ago, archer said:

I got locked out with a patch several years ago then decided to give up on the game altogether rather than deal with whatever it was the game was trying to accomplish.

I'll take a wait and see approach first, since I'm all paid up until August. What gets in my craw is that the Midsummer Festival has just begun, and I can't get it. But I've heard others having technical problems as well, so hopefully everything is fixed soon.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a reason I've never had a hankerin' to get a drone.  (There's also enough tall trees in my neighborhood I can't really fly one easily where I live.)  Heck, I hesitated to buy kites back when I about ten years old, because they crashed and broke too often from my point of view.  (This is no doubt a reflection of my RL DEX 6, but this was part of whole ensemble to me at the time.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 12:25 AM, archer said:

Did they just change the site again so that it's a whole lot less user-friendly?

I can no longer navigate from one forum to another without going through a series of menus and several other clunky changes.

OMG, my months long torment is finally over!

My laptop suddenly figured out that it wasn't a cell phone and started displaying the site normally rather than displaying the mobile version of this website.

I'd cut back my time dramatically on the site just because it's been such a pain in the butt to use.

Free at last! Free at last! 

Guess what ? The engineer did not turn up but rang my mother and said a quote was in the e-mail. Was it ? No ! Of course not !

So back on the phone. End result was someone is coming out tomorrow and we should get a switch put in which electricians then need to come back to link up to the heaters.

And we have paid so we have that over them.