The cranky thread

Hermit

My son is struggling at his new school, and I have precisely no idea what the Hell to do about it. It's like he's become a different kid in 3rd grade. I don't know how to talk to him any more.

When people ask me what my greatest fear is, I'll usually respond with "needles" or "heights". But in reality, my greatest fear is that my kids aren't progressing as much as they could be because I've missed something or left something undone. My greatest fear is that I'm failing my kids. Having a daughter with developmental disabilities has been rough, but I've learned to adjust; having my precocious son struggle has really shaken my confidence as a parent.

I wish I could talk to my Mom. I'm sure she'd have something helpful to say.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:03 PM, Cancer said:

Hey, they still have a few at airports.  I seen 'em, I sez.

When I was delayed at Chicago trying to get to Milwaukee I used them. Lifesaver for the foreign traveller.

(That was a day I spent 24 hours plus awake. Got up to travel to America. Changed at Boston and then was a delay due to bad weather for the ongoing flight. Caught one to Chicago but there was not one then until the next morning to Milwaukee so stayed up in the airport) 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

My son is struggling at his new school, and I have precisely no idea what the Hell to do about it. It's like he's become a different kid in 3rd grade. I don't know how to talk to him any more.

When people ask me what my greatest fear is, I'll usually respond with "needles" or "heights". But in reality, my greatest fear is that my kids aren't progressing as much as they could be because I've missed something or left something undone. My greatest fear is that I'm failing my kids. Having a daughter with developmental disabilities has been rough, but I've learned to adjust; having my precocious son struggle has really shaken my confidence as a parent.

I wish I could talk to my Mom. I'm sure she'd have something helpful to say.

New schools are hard.  FWIW, growing up I changed schools a lot (5 different schools from K through 6).  As a *student*, I was lucky in that only once did I have any troubles, and that was when they put me in an accelerated class without telling me (and once I knew that had happened, I did much better). 

As a *parent* my life is very different, with the only changes coming in promotions from elementary to middle and middle to high, and those weren't too much struggle.  Seattle schools are notoriously uncooperative and the only way to get what you wanted was to walk into the room with a loaded lawyer ... but we had one, my wife.  We had our struggles, but, well, every child has their own.

All I can suggest is to get in and look at the new setting yourself and see if there's some trigger feature in that classroom that the boy can't articulate and the new teacher wouldn't think was a problem.

What Cancer said.  Also, keep trying to get your son to talk about it.  A new school is a huge change--I moved between 3rd and 4th grade and it was really rough, especially since I had never really gotten socialization down even before the move.  (And still haven't, obviously.)  I'd like to think he'll be fine as long as home is a safe space.  The only other suggestion I have would be to come up with ways to socialize him into the new environment with very small groups of his new classmates, or even one-on-one, so that he's not confronted with a mob all the time.  Not sure exactly how to engineer that though.

On 10/7/2022 at 2:36 AM, Logan.1179 said:

I'm going to a conference tomorrow. The closer it gets, the less I want to go. I don't want to pack. I don't want to deal with the airport. I don't want to deal with the flight. I don't want to meet strangers. 

I am truly cranky. 

Pet peeves of mine:

Crowds

Deadlines

Waiting in line

Airport security theater

Humans

Cramped seats

Baggage claims

Embrace the cranky.

In an effort to be more organised I created new folders in my Deviantart favourite are. I then began moving stuff from my Featured favourites to he new folders. I have spent hours doing this. And I was looking to find an easier way. Which I did not. Then I find that the folder for Spain was empty and the France folder had dropped dramatically. All the photos from the poster concerned have gone an they were very good. Looks like they have deleted their account which is a pain in the backside after all the time I put into moving stuff around.

I have a certification exam on Monday and I have only a few days left in which to cram.

So the refrigerator ice maker chose last night to spring a leak.  Spent the morning mopping up.  Then I pulled the fridge out of its alcove to find the source of the leak, and of course it's the cheap plastic line that is attached to the fridge itself, which is nearly two decades old, which is why that line is all brittle.  And of course the act of pulling the fridge away from the wall has made the leak worse.  Trace the feeder line around the kitchen (which involves unloading half of the cupboards) to figure out which valve controls that flow, and shut it off. 

Only the valve starts leaking.  And it doesn't shut off the flow to the line.  So I can have a leak behind the fridge, or I can have a leak under the sink and a leak behind the fridge.  Or I can shut off water to the house, with my wife in it.

Now I have a situation.

At this point I have to leave for a fingerprinting appointment that I absolutely cannot miss, so I rig up a plastic soda bottle to go over the spraying line to at least funnel the leakage mostly into a bucket, and I rush out the door.  Fingerprinting almost fails because my hands are cracked and dry from being wet all morning, but the nice lady makes it work with some kind of silicone spray.  Maybe I'll pass my background check after all.  Then, straight to the hardware store.

I finally find the ice-maker-plumbing section alllll the way in the back of Lowe's.  Naturally they have a bunch of stainless steel braided hoses, but what I'm looking for is something to repair or splice the polyethylene line going into the fridge, and eventually I find some repair kits... all of which have had their bags torn open and been looted for parts.  Half an hour down the drain.  Off to Home Depot.

The nice Home Depot lady takes one look at me and says "I can't help you right now", so I say "Ice maker hoses?" and she tells me the aisle, which is alllll the way in the back of the store.  The selection here is even worse than at Lowe's, but the HD clerk there says there's more plumbing stuff in another aisle that's allll the way in the front of the store.  Here I find more hoses, and even some repair kits that haven't been looted.  But I can't tell by looking at it whether any of the stuff in the kit is going to fix my issue, and by this point I've figured out that ice maker plumbing is different from any other plumbing on Earth, with its tiny 1/4" line and its tiny connectors that seem to have some kind of unique threading.  I waste some more time looking for an actual plug or valve that'll fit it so I have a last ditch way to stop the leak that doesn't involve JB Weld®, but no joy.

All this time that bucket has been filling up, and my wife has been emptying the bucket, all the while blowing up my phone as if I wasn't already literally running through hardware stores looking for a solution.

Get home, shut off the water to the house, dump out all the random parts I wound up buying, and start MacGyvering.  Eventually I figure out that I can cut off the busted part of the (ancient and brittle) fridge line and splice a connector on what's left.  The connector just pushes into the end of the line, which can't possibly work, but I do that, hook everything back up, turn the water back on and... it almost works.  Except that now the stainless steel hose that goes from the end of the copper line to my MacGyvered fridge line is leaking.  Fortunately one of the other random parts I bought is a plastic line with the right connectors on each end, so I replace the stainless steel line with that and...

No leaks so far, and I've been watching it for an hour.  But if I push the fridge back in, will I have Schrödinger's Leak?  And I still have to call a plumber about the valve, and I still got zero studying done today.