How would you pull this trick off?

Lisa Nadazdy

I assume you mean something that will change, say, an incoming fire attack into a cold attack?

Hmmmm.

Sounds like a Transform with a Damage Shield. My first impulse was that a Cosmetic Transform was too "small". However, considering the new extremely high cost of Damage Shield, that sounds about right.

Then the dice of Transform could be matched against the BODY of the incoming attack. If the Transform wins (or ties), the attack is changed.

If you want it to be partially effective against powerful attacks, slap a small Advantage to that effect on the construct (+1/2 sounds about right).

Remember, you can always define Advantages and Limitations however you need them. HERO never tells you "you can't do this" (with the exception of some absolutes) - it merely gives a point cost.

Arthur has it correct. That's the kind of effect I'm looking for. The idea is to transform a cold (or whatever) into a different effect (to, say, a non-special effect type attack, like a 'pure mana' type attack). This wat you can create a spell that can change an attack so it doesn't target a vulnerability.

There's the bizarro rules way: Variable SFX as a naked Advantage, bought Usable Against Others.

Technically, Transform can't work because the power itself has no "BODY" and is not a valid target. I would think about how the GM wants to limit the power: should it be harder to change the SFX of a candle than a river of lava?

Suppress

Advantages: any one power of a special effect (Spells)

Limitations: Can only suppress 50% of Power

Effect: Changes incoming Spell Effect from one that affects Vulnerabilities to one that does not.

One must wonder if any Vulnerabilities this character has are worth full points...

Originally posted by dbsousa

Suppress

Advantages: any one power of a special effect (Spells)

Limitations: Can only suppress 50% of Power

Effect: Changes incoming Spell Effect from one that affects Vulnerabilities to one that does not.

One must wonder if any Vulnerabilities this character has are worth full points...

If he waste all these points on a power to overide them then yes just as a character may take Vul: X2 Body from Cold then takes +20 rPD/rED only vs. Cold. (However as the GM I would not allow the direcctly abusiver combo above without a VERY GOOD REASON.)

How would you pull this trick off?

Geoff Speare wrote:

>>>

Technically, Transform can't work because the power itself has no "BODY" and is not a valid target. I would think about how the GM wants to limit the power: should it be harder to change the SFX of a candle than a river of lava?

>>>

Really?

It says "can change a target into something else". Why can a Power not be a 'target'? What exactly comprises the set of 'targets'? I think Stevey worded that deliberately vaguely. As much as I prefer rigorousness, I find myself in approval. Transform is the closest thing to a "catch-all" Power in the game system. Defining it in a limited fashion would defeat that purpose. It is best left a little vague.

And what is the alternative? Make up a new Power? Sounds like it would be 5 or 10 points per die and matched against the BODY of the attack. Would a Transform by any other name smell as munchkiny" (Shakespeare must be known as 'Whirligig Bill" in the cemetery set).

However, I still understand your objection. This does stretch the definition of 'target' pretty much to its limit. However, it does what is intended, and the point cost comes out about right (read 'balanced'). Do the semantics matter that much?