Powers Question

Ok, I am trying to get a handle on the whole hero system creation mechanic. I played a long time ago when I was younger (1st edition) and have just recently started playing Hero again. I have been trying to go through and create powers based on effects that I could think of from comics. However I have stumped myself (which isn't hard trust me) on how to replicate the Absorbing Mans powers. His ability allowed him to absorb an enemies attack or defense and use it against them. Like the Huilk's strength or the Human Torch's fire attack. This is similar but not quite like Rogue's powers.

I know it would be based on the absorption power but how would you turn that in to a varied special effect attack? I know there is an adder for that in the book. Would you have to use a VPP or is there another way to replicate it? I am asking here because I think all of the guys I have been playing with are tired of answering my never ending series of questions.

But hey as a bonus I am almost totally converted from that 3rd whatever thing......:D

Certain characters are usually more of a plot device than a cohesive character design. But in the simplest terms, Absorbing Man has a Variable Power Pool with a Limitation that he can only have powers his target has. Throw in some Absorption and a Transfer and you can pretty much round him out.

120 VPP Absorption, 1/2 Phase to change, No Skill Roll, Only to manifest powers his foe has: -1/2

10d6 Physical Absorption to VPP.

10d6 Energy Absorption to VPP.

10d6 Transfer All Powers to VPP.

Expensive, but then he is a major villain in the Marvel Universe.

Just for the record: Absorbing Man (A thor foe) can not absorb the powers of individuals he touches, he can absorb the characteristics of the items he touches ( a significant difference)

Anyways, a VPP is the way to go. But in hero you canalways skin the cat a different way, so howabout a MP with the Var F/X and a custom Lim (Only to level of object touched -1/2)

Slots in it would include:

Desolification (for liquids & gasses)

RKA, No range, NND, Does Body, AE: One Hex(In case he turns into an acid

EB, No Range, NND, AE: One hex, KO Gasses

Density Increase

Flight

Swimming

All should be "m"

The good and bad news...

I think a set of powers similar to that (material mimickry) is described in the forthcoming UNTIL Superpowers Database. But it's still in playtest, so it won't be distributed for several weeks.

IIRC, a VPP or MP of abilities you would take from materials is pretty much how it's written up.

Originally posted by JmOz

Just for the record: Absorbing Man (A thor foe) can not absorb the powers of individuals he touches, he can absorb the characteristics of the items he touches ( a significant difference)

Marvel has been a little inconsistent about this. There was a late '70s issue of the Avengers (don't remember the number: Byrne drew it), where his powers are basically like JmOz said (e.g. he absorbs Cap's shield), but he also absorbs the Beast's agility (IIRC). Hank is spinning him over his head, keeping Creel away from anything he can touch, so Creel grabs the Beast's arm and turns blue, furry, and super agile. This might be the only time he's shown this ability (i.e a mistake). The MSH game or whatever version of the Marvel Universe Handbook is around now might clarify this.

As a huge Marvel fan I would say that JmOz has the rite idea here. He only forgot to add the Armor So I did a litle copy and edit of his post. (I do not claim credit for your post JmOz)

98: Absorbing Multipower 145; only to duplicate powers of "Object" -1/2

10m: Armor +15 rPD/rED; Linked Slot +15 PD/ED bonus equal to armor resistent bonus (so he can take a punch as well as a hammer.) (75 Active Ponts)

3u: Desolification (for liquids & gasses)(40 Active points)

7m: 1D6 RKA, Affects Solids, No range, NND, Does Body, AE: One Hex(In case he turns into an acid)(75 Active points)

7m: 3D6 EB, Affects Solids, No Range, NND, AE: One hex, KO Gasses (75 Active points)

14m: 70 Density Increase (70 Active points)

6m: 15" Flight (30 Active points)

6m: +15"Swimming (30 Active points)

Then cut his post and paste values The pool has to be so large so he can aquire all the powers of the Acid form the most powerful at 145 total active points.

And yes he is a major player in the villian league so when used correctly he should encurage some fear in the players.