DARK CHAMPIONS: What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: DARK CHAMPIONS: What Do *You* Want To See?

That bit (when he whipped it out in particular) is one of my favorite parts of the show.

Off the top of my head my three favorite episodes are

HUSH

That halloween episode

Once more with Feeling

I think my least favorite was the last one I saw, as we have been working through season 6. With no reception I ddn't see many of them first run.

Normal Again. That was WAYYYY TOO much of a Mind F$ck for me. I didn't sleep well that night, the "alternative" made way too much sense. :(

"Hey, look everybody, it's Giles! With a chainsaw!!"

JG

A rather obvious issue is that, unlike comic books, people can't dodge bullets. In particular, if you are busy ducking etc your ability to shoot back goes completely to hell. Essentially, accurate shooting requires the gun be stable. I'd suggest that your OCV get reduced by 100-150% of your dex based DCV that you are using. Hence things like range and cover become important. Using your full DCV on the run from the middle of the street to behind the fire hydrant makes perfect sense, but shooting back effectively does not.

Even moving and shooting gets a bit complex, and moving fast makes it really tough. I have seen an IPSC expert who could shoot accurately at a full run against multiple targets 8 feet away as he ran past them, but that was very impressive and unusual.

I think HERO combat is sufficiently bloody without penalizing people for dodging bullets. As for moving and firing, 5th Edition already penalizes that by making Rapid Fire a Full Phase, 1/2 DCV action, and by requiring various special maneuvers to be bought in order to make Autofire really effective.

JG

I think HERO combat is sufficiently bloody without penalizing people for dodging bullets. As for moving and firing, 5th Edition already penalizes that by making Rapid Fire a Full Phase, 1/2 DCV action, and by requiring various special maneuvers to be bought in order to make Autofire really effective.

JG

Being in a position where people are shooting at you is inherently a fairly dangerous thing. In particular, "fair fights" with guns are for idiots. Players should be encouraged to engineer situations that are not fair fights. They should feel a strong urge to not participate in fights in ways that are likely to get them shot. People who want to dance around in the middle of the street having a shootout with a gang armed with M16s will tend to get shot. I don't see this as a drawback. Whether you would depends on the game style you want.

If you lower the OCVs this will tend to reduce the number of hits. Bullets that miss don't tend to do much damage. Typically in most games the chance to hit is far too high. Hero is no exception. In reality gunfights (with pistols) at 3 ft are really ugly, as most anyone can and will hit. At 30 ft the number of hits drops greatly and skill becomes far more important. This isn't really modeled well. Having a bonus for really short range would tend to help.

And stress really screws up shooting. An way to model this in an interesting fashion is to apply a -4 OCV penalty (or negative 6 + [ego/5]) to anyone who is being effectively shot at. This makes ambushes much more worth it, as the ambusher have no penalty (at first) and the ambushees do.

If you fix body armor that would also help.

This may be a sort of "already done it" thing, but could we have a subsection on poisons and toxins? The Bestiary already has a little on venoms (both in the introductory section and in the write-ups of appropriate animals), but I'd also like to see a bit on phytotoxins, heavy metal poisons, and other toxic substances. This wouldn't necessarily be a huge section, but two or three pages' worth would be a great help.

Er...going to find that name thread, as I just found out now that Dark Champions no longer means superheroes. Given how firmly "Champions = Supers" is ingrained into the minds of the gaming public, I suspect this title will cause a lot of confusion. Anyway...stuff I'd like to see:

Less of the "pick 2 of the following 10 skills" lines in Package Deals. The point of a Package Deal is to have a ready-made character. Better to have a couple options showing the different skills that can be chosen.

A list of guns that is balanced, so some players aren't penalized for picking weaker guns for roleplay reasons.

In the skills section, having as many time requirements, modifiers, equipment requirements, etc. as possible means that the players can have a good idea what their skills do, rather than be surprised when the GM starts making up modifiers.

Um' date=' isn't the point of a weaker gun, that it is weaker??[/quote']

I don't mean "does less damage", I mean overall worse. For example:

Gun#1: +1 OCV, 2d6K, Str Min 10, cost 100

Gun#2: +2 OCV, 2d6K, Str Min 8, cost 75

Someone who chooses Gun #1 is penalized by the game system -- higher Str Min and cost, lower OCV bonus, while Gun #2 has no game-mechanic disadvantage.

I don't mean "does less damage", I mean overall worse. For example:

Gun#1: +1 OCV, 2d6K, Str Min 10, cost 100

Gun#2: +2 OCV, 2d6K, Str Min 8, cost 75

Someone who chooses Gun #1 is penalized by the game system -- higher Str Min and cost, lower OCV bonus, while Gun #2 has no game-mechanic disadvantage.

I'm confused - An objective of the Hero system is to allow characters of equal point values to be more or less compatible. How does a less effective gun cost more points? A quick look at the book doesn't show any similar examples.

I can argue from personal experience that Hero guns at best only vaguely model the way real weapons work on several different levels, but you seem to be talking about something completely different. Could you explain using actual weapon examples from the book?