Case Closed aka Detective Conan

Michael Hopcroft

Has anyone thought of writing up some of the characters and gadgets from Case Closed, aka Detective Conan? FunImation, the American distributors, this time had no choice but to change the names and title because Conan is such a well-known trademark in America. (I wonder what whioever finally brings over the Miyazaki classic Future Boy Conan will be forced to do)\?)

Conan Edogawa, the suddenly-juvenile-again form of detective Jimmy Kudo, retains both his mature brillians and his obsession with leaving no crime that he ehars about unsolved. Unfortunately he;s now in the body of an eight-year-old, making it difficults for adults to take him seriously. So has had his mad scientist friend cook him up some interesting gadgetry that I'm wonder what they would look like in HERO terms.

1. A shoe that oncreases the strength in Conan's leg. It doesn't make him run any faster, and is mainly used to increase the speed, range and damage of the things he kicks. He can KO a criminal with something as mundane as a soccer ball!

2. A microphone in his necktie that can be adjusted to both change and throw his voice. Think of it as a sort of super-ventriloquism that he can use to impersonate anyone he wishes.

3. Knockout darts fired from his writswatch. Strangely enough, he usually uses it to knock his friends uncionscious! Especially his foster-father Moro. why? because, by having Moro uncoscnios and using #2 above, he can make it seem as if Moro has enytered a deep contemplative trance leaving Conan free to unmask the criminal. the effect is that Moro gets a reputation (completely unearned) as a genius and nobody really knows that Conan is responsible.

I'm sure there are other gadgets, but these are the most obvious.

Writing up Conan Edogawa would be interesting as well. He is an utter genius -- Jimmy Kudo was quite literally called a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. Conan, if anything, is even smarter and more subtle. But physically, his unaugmented strenght is only that of a child, and he has to go through elekentary school all over again. And Jimmy Kudo has a very powerful Hunted who believes they have killed him and would be very unhappy to discover they were wrong.

Re: Case Closed aka Detective Conan

Has anyone thought of writing up some of the characters and gadgets from Case Closed' date=' aka [i']Detective Conan[/i]? FunImation, the American distributors, this time had no choice but to change the names and title because Conan is such a well-known trademark in America. (I wonder what whioever finally brings over the Miyazaki classic Future Boy Conan will be forced to do)\?)

Actually, only the title needed to be changed. All the other changes were made because the broadcast rights for the series were originally bought by Fox to be shown on their Saturday morning block. It was only after quite few episodes were already dubbed that one of the Fox execs actually bothered watching the rushes, nearly had a coronary and cancelled the order. Cartoon Network graciously stepped in, but redubbing would have taken months, so we get the silly name changes version.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually' date=' only the title [i']needed[/i] to be changed. All the other changes were made because the broadcast rights for the series were originally bought by Fox to be shown on their Saturday morning block. It was only after quite few episodes were already dubbed that one of the Fox execs actually bothered watching the rushes, nearly had a coronary and cancelled the order. Cartoon Network graciously stepped in, but redubbing would have taken months, so we get the silly name changes version.

If they had relocated the series to Hong Kong, then the name changes would have made sense, as many Chinese natives of Hong Kong adopt Western given names (I don;t know for sure whether they keep Chinese given names as well).

Probablky part of Hong Kong's legacy as a Crown Colony of the United Kingdom up until 1999.

No such tradition emerged in japan, because Japan was never anyone's colony. A resdietn of japan with a Western given name might be a foreigner, might have a foreign parent, or might have been named in honor of a Western figure the parents admired. The last case is extrenmely rare, although it has been seen in anime. Many of the names in Saint Tail are Japanese renditions of such popular Wetsern names as Mamie and Sarah, which is appropate since most of the cast pays at least lip service to Roman Catholocism (and one of them is actually in training to be a nun, which given how pretty Seria is represents a crying shame in the eyes of most of the male student body.)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my write-up of Conan's gadgets, based on the 3 episodes I've seen.

Voice Changing Bow Tie: Shape Shift (Hearing Group, Any Voice, Imitation, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), (37 AP); OAF (-1), (RC 18).

Knockout Dart Watch: EB 6d6, NND (defense is having covered skin or immunity), Invisible Power Effects (fully invisible, +1), (AP 90); 4 Charges (-1), OIF (-1/2), (RC 36).

Power Kick Shoes: EB 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), (AP 60); OIF (-1/2), (RC 40).

I'm still not sure about a character write up, but Conan would have something like IQ 30 and 20- skill in deduction and criminology.

To give you some idea of the weird ideas fanfic writers get' date=' someone posted a fiction in which Shinichi Kudou (the guy Conan was transformed from) turned out tpo be the grandson of Lupin III. The story baffled everybody.[/quote']

That just makes me wonder how Lupin found time to have kids.

I saw a few more episodes of the show and did a rough draft of a full write up of Conan. My current version of Conan comes out as 200 points. Check it out here.

Comments are welcome.

One misnor correction -- Conan's glasses do nothing to correct his vision, which is 20/20. The lenses are just clear plastic. The only reason he wears them is as apart of a disc\guise, so he doesn;t look so much like a young Shinichi Kudou.

Rememeber, Conan wants everybody but Ran to believe Shinichi Kudou is dead. He fears Ran and the oihers he cares about will become a target if his secret is discovered -- those were some pretty nasth\y customers who slipped hi that shrinking drug.

The only people who know ShninchinKudoud is still alive are his gadgeteer friend who rpovides him with those wonderful toys and ran; he will occasionally keep in touch with her (even though he's living in the same house) by finding a pay phone and using the tie to call her up and reassure her he's OK, because he knows it would break her heart if she didn't know that. Yes, among the people he can impersonate is his teenage self.

One misnor correction -- Conan's glasses do nothing to correct his vision' date=' which is 20/20. The lenses are just clear plastic. The only reason he wears them is as apart of a disc\guise, so he doesn;t look so much like a young Shinichi Kudou.[/quote']

Ah, correction noted.

Another problem with the disadvantages is that I can't figure out whether Ran and the dad guy would be counted as DNPCs or Followers or not included on Conan's sheet.

Ah, correction noted.

Another problem with the disadvantages is that I can't figure out whether Ran and the dad guy would be counted as DNPCs or Followers or not included on Conan's sheet.

Ran would probably just be a target of a psy lim "in love with Ran", and not otherwise appear on the sheet. The Dad Guy is likely a DNPC, Conan is constantly saving his professional reputation.

Ran would probably just be a target of a psy lim "in love with Ran"' date=' and not otherwise appear on the sheet. The Dad Guy is likely a DNPC, Conan is constantly saving his professional reputation.[/quote']

I just saw a couple more episodes and Ran and Mouri are the target many murder attempts later in the show. They are both martial arts experts though, so even if they were counted as DNPCs, they wouldn't be incompetent ones.

I also noticed that whenever Conan gets really stuck some coincidence or screw up by the murderer provides him a clue or proof. So, in addition to all his other stuff Conan has a bunch of Luck. He might also have bad luck since someone around him gets murdered every day or two.

I'd tack on a few more skills. Shinichi Kudou had a ton of Knowledge Skills, spoke fluent English, and knew all about things like poisons and firearms. He can;t display that knowledge as Conan, but it's in his arsenal. I'd say 20 points just in knowledge skills.

I'd also consider buying Ran as a Follower (she is very useful and is a kick-ass karate babe) with the limitation "Only cooperates when it suits her" (-1). If you want a DNPS group, the Child Detective Corps (his three school friends) would make a good one -- they're constantly getting their noses into trouble and sometimes have poveractive iomaginations that lead Conan astray (Ayumi once had COnan convinced a theatre prop was really the severed head of a murder victim).

Also, take the group to which Gin and Tonic belong as a Hunted. They haven;t made the connection yet between Shinich Kudou and Conan Edogawa, but Conan has been a thorn in their side at every opportunity that presents itself and believes that breaking up that organization is his only hope for a cure.

You haevn't met them yet, but Conan has a couple fo rivals. One is a tennage detective genuis from OSaka whose name I forget who figured out his secret right away -- they often find themselves working on the same cases and always try to outdo each other. The other is the kaitou Kid, a flamboyant thief who has challenged Conan on sveeral occasions.

Finally, Conan has a vulnaerability to alcohol. To me more spefcific, the combination of strong drink and the common cold changes him baclk to Shinich Kudou at what usually does not turn out to be an opportune time. MUCH later in the series, if Funimation releases it that far, we will encounter Ai, a scientist who had been working for that organization who took the same drug Conan was fed expecting it to be a deadly poison. Turned her into a girl Conan's age, leading to no end of trouble.

I've been watching Detective Conan for years, and the series has run a very long time. It's always had one lead writer in charge and he comes up with an amazing number of puzzles, some of them incredibly difficult. Worthy of a master detective!

I'd also consider buying Ran as a Follower (she is very useful and is a kick-ass karate babe) with the limitation "Only cooperates when it suits her" (-1). If you want a DNPS group, the Child Detective Corps (his three school friends) would make a good one -- they're constantly getting their noses into trouble and sometimes have poveractive iomaginations that lead Conan astray (Ayumi once had COnan convinced a theatre prop was really the severed head of a murder victim).

I made her a DNPC because in the few episodes I've seen someone is trying to kill her half the time and she hasn't helped at all. It also saves me the trouble of figuring out how many points she's worth...

I'd tack on a few more skills. Shinichi Kudou had a ton of Knowledge Skills, spoke fluent English, and knew all about things like poisons and firearms. He can;t display that knowledge as Conan, but it's in his arsenal. I'd say 20 points just in knowledge skills.

I saw a little bit about that. He knew all kinds of camping tricks, like how to start fires with wet matches. Ran was really suprised when he talked about how TV studios are deliberately designed to confuse visitors so they can't be taken over by terrorists and he had to make some lame excuse about why a 10 year old would know that.

These suggestions are all great. Unfortunately, I haven't seen most of the episodes, so I couldn't come up with a comprehensive list of Conan's knowledge skills and enemies. If you could write this stuff up in Hero System terms, I'll add it to that character sheet I've been tinkering with.

• 8 months later...

That just makes me wonder how Lupin found time to have kids.

Lupin probably has dozens of kids. He's just never met any of them. he's obsessed with women and has almost certainyl been successful with those of the feminine gender who don't know any better. He's sort of like James T. Kirk that way.

The onyl way Lupin would probably even know he had a kid is the the motehr were someone he was around a lot, like Fujiko -- and Fujiko spends a great deal of time leading Lupin on while keep him away from her actual bedside.

Lupin probably has dozens of kids. He's just never met any of them. he's obsessed with women and has almost certainyl been successful with those of the feminine gender who don't know any better. He's sort of like James T. Kirk that way.

The onyl way Lupin would probably even know he had a kid is the the motehr were someone he was around a lot, like Fujiko -- and Fujiko spends a great deal of time leading Lupin on while keep him away from her actual bedside.

Lupin actually gets Fujiko into bed in First Contact. That may be the only time he's ever succeeded. :D

Shinichi Kudou's parents actually did make an appearance early in the series. The father is a mystery writer, and the mother was an actress before she was married. They disguised themselves and kidnapped Conan, just to show their son how dangerous the game he's playing really is. They revealed their true identities and asked him to leave with them, but he refused.