Players Wanted: Heroic-Level PBEM

Guest Worldmaker

Guest Worldmaker

Posted for my wife:

In every major organization, there are those whose duties include problem solving, investigation, and the fixing of disputes. In the Phoenix Corporation, when Benu needs something done, he sends his Rising.

Occasionally, the Rising are boogeymen.

Don't steal from the company, the Rising will get you. Finish that report on time, or the Rising will be here.

Occasionally, the Rising are a joke.

After all, Benu likes to have all things checked out. When they are sent to investigate a local fortune-teller at a traveling carnival, the boogeymen lose their status.

Occasionally, the Rising are the front-line on an eternal war between good and evil.

But, mostly, the Rising simply are. No one knows why they are chosen. But, everyone who works for the Phoenix Corporation knows one thing... If you work for the Corporation, you may someday be a Rising.

Sitting at your desk, taking your break, checking your email, doing your daily grind... At some point, a golden card appears with the corporate insignia. Suddenly, no matter how far down on the ladder you were, you're being transferred to corporate headquarters and luxury.

What is Phoenix Rising?

It's the story of the Rising... A rather odd group of people whose sole purpose is to fulfill the rather odd requests of the CEO with often ultimately odd results.

Who are the Rising?

Anyone. Everyone, however, must have been working either directly for the Phoenix Corporation, or through an owned subsidiary. They have all heard of the company, they have all been paid in company checks, and they do all know the stories of the eccentries of Benu.

When did the Rising start?

As long as there has been a Corporation, there have been the Rising. Occasionally a member or two is replaced, occasionally the whole group is... Occasionally, they serve a different purpose than before.

Where are the Rising?

The Rising are always based out of the corporate headquarters in New York City. It's not a home, it's a headquarters. There are luxury apartments on their floor, a conference room, offices, investigative connections. But there are no families. Of course, you can decline the offer to be a member of the Rising.... After all, the Rising must reside in their headquarters and guests are not welcome. Members thus have a higher than average divorce rate, are typically single, and those who decline the offer have a stronger tie to the outside than to the company.

Why do the Rising exist?

Because Benu wishes it to be so... An eccentric at best, very few people know this man. The Rising do not even get their directions directly. When he wishes them to do something, the files appear in the conference room. When he has no orders, they are free to do as they like.

Okay, so what is this game? Basically, it's whatever I want to put you through. Mostly, it will be story-telling. Who are these people and where are they going with their lives. Combat will be sparse, as I despise running it. We'll be looking at your character, who they are now, who they were, and who they are becoming. If you can't write that, then please don't apply.

The characters will be investigating the supernatural. It's one of the main reasons they exist. They will be used as a serious investigative group and sometimes they'll be after something so ridiculous they'll be laughed at.

I am only accepting five submissions. One of you is a professional videographer. Of the others, I would really like to see a professional reporter. A quasi-scientist would be nice, a quasi-mystic would be nice, maybe a retired cop or investigator. But remember, you were working for the Phoenix Corporation and they are mostly media holdings... Everything from major network affiliates to printing rags like the Weekly World News.

Your characters should not be uber-competent or uber-knowledgeable. They should be human and have frailties and foibles. They should have some item which makes them valuable and a spark of the supernatural in their background.

What do I mean by a spark of the supernatural? I mean a thing... Maybe they actually did have an invisible friend as a child who was actually real, but they learned to ignore anything that made them a freak. Maybe when the moon is full they can sense people's auras. Perhaps they're one of those people who can type totally unrelated words into the Google search engine, tap "Feeling Lucky" and actually get the page they want. Whatever it is, there's always something odd about a Rising.

It's possible that some of them are true believers... It's possible that some of them are jaded cynics.

Send submissions in the body of an email to rebecca@globalguardians.com

As always, direct questions to me privately. The campaign page is available through the website.