accepting rules suggestions for 1st Annual Combat Wombat Steel Cage Grudge Match!

Hyper-Man

Re: accepting rules suggestions for 1st Annual Combat Wombat Steel Cage Grudge Match!

A couple of questions occurred to me over dinner:

When we start a battle, do we start with defensive powers up or down?

Is the flag in the Capture scenarios breakable, and what happens if it's annihilated?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: accepting rules suggestions for 1st Annual Combat Wombat Steel Cage Grudge Match!

Well let's start the cheese flowing :D

Mr. Velveeta

Player: Intrope

Val Char Cost
5 STR -5
5 DEX -15
5 CON -10
5 BODY -10
5 INT -5
5 EGO -10
5 PRE -5
5 COM -2

1 PD 0
1 ED 0
5 SPD 35
2 REC 0
95 END 43
11 STUN 0

1" RUN -10
0" SWIM -2
0" LEAP -1
Characteristics Cost: 2

Cost Power END
90 Pseudo-Cheesification Beam: Major Transform 2d6 (Anything into Processed Cheese Food (note: contains no cheese), being dipped into French wine), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Uncontrolled (stopped by application of French wine) (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (90 Active Points) 9
60 Cheesy Invisibility Power: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Mental, Smell/Taste, Touch and Radio Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe 6
90 Teleportation 15", Trigger (Whenever I fire my Cheesification Beam; +1/4), Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (90 Active Points) 0
Powers Cost: 240

Cost Skill
18 +18 with Pseudo-Cheesification Beam
Skills Cost: 18

Cost Talent
90 Lightning Reflexes: +90 DEX to act first with Pseudo-Cheesification Beam
Talents Cost: 90

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
10 Bad Legs: (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
30 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Physical Killing Attacks (Very Common)
30 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Physical Killing Attacks (Very Common)

Disadvantage Points: 70

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 80

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

I noted when working on this that FREd limits sell-back of Primary Chars to 5 'unless GM permits' so I stopped at 5. And of course Figureds are limited to 1 sell-off.

Any comments? did I break one of Hyper-Man's rules without realizing it?

BTW, do we want to post the characters here or in another thread?

Your END is off by a point somehow.

According to FREd:

Powers with the Trigger advantage have to be reset after each use so it doesn't seem to fit your Teleportation writeup.

Combat levels with one attack cost 2 points per +1 to hit.

btw, what does Mr. Velveeta do if his opponent has 12 points of Power Defense?

A couple of questions occurred to me over dinner:

When we start a battle, do we start with defensive powers up or down?

Is the flag in the Capture scenarios breakable, and what happens if it's annihilated?

Wombats will start with all powers off on phase 12 at the start of each scenario.

The Flag Pole is considered indestructable but flimsy and dull on each end so therefore useless as a weapon..

Your END is off by a point somehow.

According to FREd:

Powers with the Trigger advantage have to be reset after each use so it doesn't seem to fit your Teleportation writeup.

Combat levels with one attack cost 2 points per +1 to hit.

btw, what does Mr. Velveeta do if his opponent has 12 points of Power Defense?

Urk! I think the answer to your question is 'dies horribly'; you can tell how frequently I use Transform in play, I think...for the moment I'm going to withdraw Mr. Velveeta for a quick re-think. I'll come back tomorrow...

And thanks for proofreading; I should be more careful with Hero Designer (with great power :D) especially when I'm giggling over the idea of Psuedo-Cheesification Beams :P

BTW, I think my trigger is legal: it takes 1/2 phase to set, and goes off after I fire the attack (invisibly moving after I attack). A quick read of the FAQ seems to support this as a legal, if abusable, tactic.

I'm anxious to see some of the other entrants...half the fun will be seeing who comes up with the most amusingly abusive construct!

Oh, this sucks!

I can have a character with 100 STR, but only an 18d6 EB?

All my concepts are about thrown out. I'll have to build a brick, and only likely to shame Gary (or at least win ;)).

The first set of contests is pretty much a race game, so Accurate Leaping is a must. DEX and Defenses should take care of everything else. All I need is an Attack Power, and with STR being far supperior to anyting else allowed (I'd much prefer an Ego Attack 6d6 0 END Continuous Full Phase).

Then again, I could just hope no one buys Mental Defense and go with 18d6 Mental Illusions: Shouldn't be too hard to achieve +30 to make them think my opponent is still in the contest while they stand there and drool.

Must...

crunch...

numbers...

Oh, this sucks!

I can have a character with 100 STR, but only an 18d6 EB?

All my concepts are about thrown out. I'll have to build a brick, and only likely to shame Gary (or at least win ;)).

The first set of contests is pretty much a race game, so Accurate Leaping is a must. DEX and Defenses should take care of everything else. All I need is an Attack Power, and with STR being far supperior to anyting else allowed (I'd much prefer an Ego Attack 6d6 0 END Continuous Full Phase).

Then again, I could just hope no one buys Mental Defense and go with 18d6 Mental Illusions: Shouldn't be too hard to achieve +30 to make them think my opponent is still in the contest while they stand there and drool.

Must...

crunch...

numbers...

I can make it 90 instead of 100 STR max but I don't think it is necessary. keep in mind the limit on OCV for a 6" Move Through (it tends to take away a lot of the advantages of high STR and high leap) let me know in time before anyone posts a brick and I'll change it if you want.

I'm gonna have to recheck thing on you limits.

I'm starting to think a concept I'm looking at would be disallow due to a technicality. I'm thinking of a high DEX brick with lots of leaping.

In any case, I've prefer your Active Point limit to be applied to the total value of things. That way you can have a max of 90 AP in any Characteristic, not 90 additional active points.

Additional Questions:

It's obvious the Flag can't be used as a weapon (not logical or realisitc, but fair). On the second two Flag scenarios, is it required to actaully get the Flag past the other character, get yourself and the Flag past, or just yourself?

Does the Flag count as a physical object with size and mass? More specifically, would someone need UBO or extra Mass to Desol or Teleport with it? And does it require a STR/ to lift and carry? Assuming the lack of TK, do you actually have to hold it in one or both hands?

Oh yeah... and what are the walls/floor/ceiling made of (DEF/BODY or invulnerable/impassable)? I'm asking this because I have a character who's trick to to fly through stone.

Still need to know if caps apply even in game if exceeded via say a Transfer (i.e., if I drain 10 STR going from 100 to 110, do I have a 22 DC attack?).

Also, are limitations specifically mentioned in the book with powers themselves available (i.e., All or Nothing on a Transform -1/2)? Obviously only on the associated power and only if that power is already allowed :) .

You said all defenses down, does this include persistant ones such as Armor?

You banned Rapid Fire, but are the other optional maneuvers available?

Are we asking too many questions yet?

-Zanthis

I'm gonna have to recheck thing on you limits.

I'm starting to think a concept I'm looking at would be disallow due to a technicality. I'm thinking of a high DEX brick with lots of leaping.

In any case, I've prefer your Active Point limit to be applied to the total value of things. That way you can have a max of 90 AP in any Characteristic, not 90 additional active points.

Done.

*I will edit the original rules posting which my signature links to.

Additional Questions:

It's obvious the Flag can't be used as a weapon (not logical or realisitc, but fair). On the second two Flag scenarios, is it required to actaully get the Flag past the other character, get yourself and the Flag past, or just yourself?

It is necessary to get both the flagpole and yourself past in both scenarios.

Does the Flag count as a physical object with size and mass? More specifically, would someone need UBO or extra Mass to Desol or Teleport with it? And does it require a STR/ to lift and carry? Assuming the lack of TK, do you actually have to hold it in one or both hands?

It does count as a physical object, same size and mass as a normal golf course flagpole. For purposes of Desol, Teleport and STR it is considered negligible mass (0 Str to lift) and only requires 1 hand to hold.

Oh yeah... and what are the walls/floor/ceiling made of (DEF/BODY or invulnerable/impassable)? I'm asking this because I have a character who's trick to to fly through stone.

This one I'll have to think about some more. I don't have FREd with me at work but I was originally considering to have the playing field be similar to those used in the various tournaments in Dragon Ball Z:

• No roof, but surface of grass covered soil/loose earth (I will post DEF/BODY later).
  • No walls surround the field but touching the ground outside of the playing field would be considered a forfiet of any scenario.
  • Going underground or in the sky does not violate this.

Still need to know if caps apply even in game if exceeded via say a Transfer (i.e.' date=' if I drain 10 STR going from 100 to 110, do I have a 22 DC attack?).[/quote']

20 Damage Class attacks are the "campaign max" in this 'welterweight division' of the combat wombat tournament. This is intended to be a contest of semi-playable characters. So with 90 active point starting max the maximum benefit to a 90 STR character would be 10 extra STR.

Also, are limitations specifically mentioned in the book with powers themselves available (i.e., All or Nothing on a Transform -1/2)? Obviously only on the associated power and only if that power is already allowed :) .

You said all defenses down, does this include persistant ones such as Armor?

You banned Rapid Fire, but are the other optional maneuvers available?

Yes. If the power can be turned off (costs end or bought zero end) it starts turned off. Remember that turning on defensive powers is a 0 phase action. All other optional manuevers are available but keep in mind, we are not planning on actually running ANY of these scenarios. We are just going to take the top 10 submissions and post them to another thread to be voted on by all board members using the described scenarios as a tool for comparison. Optional manuevers would only be useful in describing a Wombat's situational strategy for the tournament.

Are we asking too many questions yet?

-Zanthis

nope. :cool:

And Mr. Velveeta returns to the fray!

Now, slightly less vulnerable to trivial amounts of power defense.

Mr. Velveeta

Player: Intrope

Val Char Cost
5 STR -5
5 DEX -15
5 CON -10
5 BODY -10
5 INT -5
5 EGO -10
5 PRE -5
5 COM -2
1 PD 0
0 ED -1
5 SPD 35
2 REC 0
96 END 43
11 STUN 0
1" RUN-100" SWIM-20" LEAP-1Characteristics Cost: 2

Cost Power END
90 Pseudo-Cheesification Beam: Major Transform 6d6 (Anything into Processed Cheese Food (note: contains no cheese), being dipped into French wine) 9
60 Cheesy Invisibility Power: Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Mental, Smell/Taste, Touch and Radio Groups and Spatial Awareness , No Fringe 6
72 Cheesing my way through space!: Teleportation 12", Trigger (Next time I fire my Cheesification Beam; +1/4), Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (72 Active Points) 0
Powers Cost: 222

Cost Skill
36 +18 with any single attack
Skills Cost: 36

Cost Talent
90 Lightning Reflexes: +60 DEX to act first with All Actions
Talents Cost: 90

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
10 Bad Legs: (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
30 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Physical Killing Attacks (Very Common)
30 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Physical Killing Attacks (Very Common)

Disadvantage Points: 70

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 80

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

This should no longer have dumb math errors (crosses fingers).

BTW, the combat strategy is:

On Dex 65, Turn on invisibility (0-phase), set trigger for teleport (half-phase; note that he has to pick the target hex at this point. Note that if he has to make a targeting roll for his teleport, he'll almost certainly miss--hence the safe teleport!). Attack foe with Pseudo-Cheesification Beam (triggers teleport). Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Yah, he's a one-hit wonder...if we don't see too many other entrants, perhaps I'll make another wombat, with less degenerate powers :D