Actung! Panzer!

Susano

ACTUNG! PANZER!

A Collection Of German Armored Vehicles From The Second World War

The following collection of tanks is part of my attempt to further explore the vehicles rules. It came about after I started working on several Digital Hero projects involving vehicles of different sorts. I also wanted to try and define these tanks in a more comprehensive manner than the brief collection of panzers featured in the HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook. White Steve Long's Panzer V is an excellent write-up, I wanted to go into more detail into the other models, beyond what he'd done. I also wanted to tinker around with sloped armor and its effect on DEF, as first examined in the original version of "The Golden Age Of Champions."

My primary source of information on the tanks I am writing up is a book titled "German Tanks Of World War II." A hardback book of 160 pages, it covers just tanks -- there are no half-tracks, or multi-wheeled armored/scout cars in here. However, each tank is given its own section, and there is a very comprehensive set of specifications for one version of each model of panzer. These specification give such information as armor thickness (per location), as well as slope, allowing one to get a general idea how well each tank was protected. It also lists length and width (in meters), top speed on road and cross-country, armament, and even ammunition loads for said armament. Perfect stats for the HERO gamer.

Translation Comments:

Much of the translation was fairly simply to do. The length and width of the hull gave me SIZE, while the weight told me how much STR (and Knockback Resistance) to give the tank. As all of these tanks are SPD 2, Ground Movement was simple -- just consult the chart on page 38 of The Ultimate Vehicle. I applied the Limitation of Only On Appropriate Terrain (-1/4) as it best simulated the reduced speed and handling of tanks when off-road.

For armament, I consulted the weapons lists in the Firebird version of "The Golden Age Of Champions." After much internal debate, I decided to use the Damage Classes listed for the weapons in that book rather than the ones listed in the "HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook." This was mainly to try and mark the differences between W.W.II weaponry and modern weapons. For example, in "The Ultimate Vehicle," the 120 mm cannon used in the M1A1 Abrams is a 8d6 RKA with +1 STUN. The "HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook" lists the Panzer V Panther's 75 mm cannon as a 7d6 RKA with +1 STUN. This leaves one with 3 damage classes to go from 75 to 120 (For the record, the 88 mm cannon is supposed to be a 7d6+1 RKA). I presume the 105 mm cannon carried by some tanks would then be a 7 1/2d6 RKA. My only problem with this is that it allows W.W.II tanks to have a chance of affecting an M1A1. This just doesn't seem right. Everything I've heard about both Gulf Wars has the American M1A1s virtually immune to anything the Iraq armor carried, and here we are talking Russian tanks from the 70s and 80s, not 50 year-old panzers.

The DEF of the tanks is a tough question. I'm basically working from DEF numbers given in various sources (see the bibliography) and sort of averaging them out. I am also working with the idea of sloped armor giving one more DEF. I got the idea from the Firebird version of "The Golden Age Of Champions." There they presented a sloped armor advantage that while it looked good, didn't exactly make sense. Here is my take on the matter:

1) DEF as listed presumes the armor has no slope, i.e. the armor plate is roughly at a 90 degree angle in relation to the ground.

2) Sloped armor is better at deflecting incoming weapon's fire. One can slope armor at any angle (of course), but for simplicity's sake, I am going with three break points: 60 degrees (the least amount of slope), 45 degrees, and 30 degrees (the greatest amount of slope).

3) Sloped armor only defends against projectiles. It won't help if you run into something solid, if the tank is hit with an energy attack, if a brick punches the tank, or if some sort of physical "rending" attack shreds the tank.

4) Armor that slopes around 60 degrees should get an additional +1 DEF for every 2 DEF gained simply from having thick armor. This +1 DEF has the following limitations: Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Coverage (varies), Only Versus Physical Projectiles (-1/2).

5) Armor that slopes around 45 degrees should get an additional +1 DEF for every 1 DEF gained simply from having thick armor. This +1 DEF has the following limitations: Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Coverage (varies), Only Versus Physical Projectiles (-1/2).

6) Armor that slopes around 30 degrees should get an additional +2 DEF for every 1 DEF gained simply from having thick armor. This +2 DEF has the following limitations; the first point of DEF has Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), while the second has Activation Roll 11- (-1). Only one Activation Roll is made for this additional DEF. All DEF also has: Limited Coverage (varies), and Only Versus Physical Projectiles (-1/2).

Readers may notice that this makes some tanks nigh impossible to harm. Well... this is true. Certain W.W.II tanks were pretty much unkillable -- if all you did was fire at their front. The massive Jagdtiger had upwards of 10" of front armor, with some of it at a 40 degree slope. Nothing the Allies had could penetrate it (by the same token, its 128 mm gun could penetrate nearly 7" of armor at a range of 1.8 miles!). And before you say the 120 mm gun on the M1A1 Abrams couldn't kill such a tank, remember: the M1A1's main gun should have the Armor Piercing advantage, especially if DU rounds are being used. Also, if one uses Hit Locations, called shots to specific targets will negate the additional DEF fairly quickly.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Cloutier, Chris. The Golden Age Of Champions (Firebird Limited edition).

Cloutier, Chris. Golden Age Of Champions (HERO Games edition).

Greenwade, Bob and Steve Long. The Ultimate Vehicle.

Hart, Dr. Stephen and Dr. Russell Hart. German Tanks Of World War II.

Long, Steve. HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook.

Rakonitz, David and Steve Long. The Ultimate Brick.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Actung! Panzer!

PANZERKAMPFWAGEN I MODEL A

(Sonderkraftfahrzeug 101)

Val	CHA	Cost	Notes
3	SIZE	15	2" x 1"; -3" KB; -2 DCV
38	STR	13	Lift 4,800 kg; 7 1/2d6 HTH Damage
10	DEX	0	OCV: 3/DCV: 3
15	BODY	2
9	DEF	21
2	SPD	0	Phases: 6, 12
Total Characteristics Cost: 51

Movement:	Ground: 15"/30"
Swimming: 0"/0""

Cost	Abilities and Equipment
Propulsion Systems
14	Motorized Tracked Military Vehicle: Ground Movement +9" (15" total); Only On 
Appropriate Terrain (-1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge (easily-obtained fuel; 4 hours; -0)
-2	Ground Vehicle: Swimming -2"

Tactical Systems
44	7.92 mm MG 13 Machine Gun: RKA 2d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), +1 Increased 
Stun Multiplier (+1/4), 750 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus +2 
RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
5	7.92 mm MG 13 Machine Gun: Another 7.92 mm MG 13 Machine Gun (total of 2)
4	Sloped Front Armor: +4 DEF; Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Coverage (forward 60 
degrees, hull only; -1 1/4), Only Versus Physical Projectiles (-1/2)
2	Heavy: Knockback Resistance -1" (-4" total)

Operation Systems
4	Radio: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group); OIF Bulky (-1), Affected As 
Hearing Group As Well As Radio Group (-1/4)
71	Total Abilities and Equipment Cost
122	Total Vehicle Cost

Value	Disadvantages
25	Distinctive Features: Nazi Germany Wehrmacht Tank (NC, Extreme)
5	Physical Limitation: All weapons must point in the same direction (I, S)
30	Total Disadvantage Points
18	Total Cost (92/5)

Description:

First built in 1934, the Panzerkampfwagen I was initially designed to be a light training tank. They were originally listed as Agricultural Tractor Model IA in order to hid their presence in the records (as tanks were banned in Germany by the Treaty of Versailles. Weighing in at a mere 5.4 tons, with 13 mm of armor, the Panzer I had a crew of two and was armed with two 7.92 machine guns in a rotating turret. Like all German armor, it is equipped with a radio, which helps explain the success of the German Blitzkrieg of 1939-1941.

Although the Panzer I was meant to be a training vehicle, roughly 1,500 were built between 1935 and 1939. Many saw action during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939, where the vehicle's obvious shortcomings -- thin armor and lack of heavy weapons -- were made apparent. However, lack of sufficient numbers of more advanced armor meant that 1,445 Panzer I tanks were used in the invasion of Poland. Of these, 89 were lost (many to the 37 mm rounds of Polish anti-tank guns). In 1940, The German Army was down to 1,077 Panzer I tanks, and further losses to English and French armor eventually forced the withdrawal of the Panzer I from the front lines, with many converted to training vehicles or used for garrison duties.

As written, the Panzer I makes a fine armored vehicle of the early pulp-era. It is basically a mobile machine gun nest, and is best used in an anti-infantry role, its guns too light to seriously harm another armored vehicle. Golden Age superheroes should enjoy the thin armor, and any brick of STR 40 or more should be able to punch right through the armor with a well-placed haymaker.

A Panzer I is 13' 2" long, 6' 9" wide, and 5' 8" tall. It weighs 5.4 tons, has a top speed of around 23 mph on the road, and carries a crew of two.

PANZERKAMPFWAGEN II MODEL F

(Sonderkraftfahrzeug 121)

Val	CHA	Cost	Notes
4	SIZE	20	2.5" x 1.25"; -4" KB; -2 DCV
43	STR	13	Lift 9,600 kg; 8 1/2d6 HTH Damage
16	BODY	2
10	DEF	24
Total Characteristics Cost: 59

Movement:	Ground: 18"/36"

Propulsion Systems
19	Motorized Tracked Military Vehicle: Ground Movement +12" (18" total); Only On 
Appropriate Terrain (-1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge (easily-obtained fuel; 5 hours; -0)

Tactical Systems
53	20 mm KwK 38 L/55 Cannon: RKA 3d6+1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), 
180 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus +2 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
52	7.92 mm MG 34 Machine Gun: RKA 2d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), +1 Increased 
Stun Multiplier (+1/4), 1,275 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus 
+2 OCV, +3 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
41	7.92 mm MG 34 Machine Gun: RKA 2d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), +1 Increased 
Stun Multiplier (+1/4), 1,275 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire 
(forward 60 degrees; only on same horizontal level; -3/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus 
2	Armored Body: +1 DEF; Limited Coverage (front & sides; -1/4)
1	Armored Nose: +1 DEF; Limited Coverage (forward 60 degrees; -1)
4	Heavy: Knockback Resistance -2" (-6" total)

Operation Systems
4	Radio: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group); OIF Bulky (-1), Affected As 
174	Total Abilities and Equipment Cost
233	Total Vehicle Cost

Value	Disadvantages
5	Physical Limitation: All turreted weapons must point in the same direction (I, S)
41	Total Cost (203/5)

Description:

Designed to be a heaver version of the Panzer I, the Panzer II was meant to fill the gaps in the German armored forces until the heavier Panzer III and IV tanks appeared in the late 1930s. Initially proposed in 1934, the first Panzer II prototypes were built between 1935-1937. The name Panzer II was finally bestowed in 1938.

With a weight of 9.5 tons and a crew of three, the Panzer II 30 mm of armor along the front, with 14-20 mm on the sides and rear. It has a 20 mm cannon in a fully rotating turret, with a 7.92 mm machine gun coaxial in the turret, and a second 7.92 mounted in the front hull. 1,223 of these tanks (of several models) were in service at the time of the invasion of Poland in 1939. Despite such impressive numbers, the nature of war quickly rendered the Panzer II obsolete with 15 new tanks built in 1939, and a mere 9 built in 1940. However, the needs for an increased armor force resulted in another 539 Panzer II tanks were built in '41 and '42, with many older models turned into flame-thrower tanks, munitions carriers, scout tanks, and Marder series tank destroyers.

The Panzer II is a great tank to toss against Golden Age heroes. Its 20 mm cannon is fearsome enough, but is bounceable by some Golden Age supers (especially if you use a flat x4 STUN multiple), while its 10-121 DEF means even 40 STR bricks doing haymakers can damage it, not to mention it only take 43 STR to life, and far less to simply tip over.

A Panzer II is 15' 9" long, 7' 6" wide, and 6' 7" tall. It weighs 9.5 tons, has a top speed of around 25 mph on the road, 12 mph off, and carries a crew of three.

PANZERKAMPFWAGEN III MODEL A

(Sonderkraftfahrzeug 141)

Val	CHA	Cost	Notes
5	SIZE	25	3.2" x 1.6"; -5" KB; -3 DCV
46	STR	11	Lift 15 tons; 9d6 HTH Damage
17	BODY	2
10	DEF	24
Total Characteristics Cost: 62

Movement:	Ground: 12"/24"

Propulsion Systems
10	Motorized Tracked Military Vehicle: Ground Movement +6" (12" total); Only On 
Appropriate Terrain (-1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge (easily-obtained fuel; 4 hours; -0)

Tactical Systems
75	37 mm KwK L/45 Cannon: RKA 4d6, Indirect (can be arced over some obstacles; +1/4), 
+1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), 150 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), 
Real Weapon (-1/4) plus +2 OCV, +2 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
52	7.92 mm MG 34 Machine Gun: RKA 2d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), +1 Increased 
Stun Multiplier (+1/4), 1,500 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus 
5	7.92 mm MG 34 Machine Gun: A second 7.92 mm MG 34 Machine Gun (total of 2)
Stun Multiplier (+1/4), 1,275 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire 
(forward 60 degrees; only on same horizontal level; -3/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus 
4	Heavy: Knockback Resistance -2" (-7" total)

Operation Systems
189	Total Abilities and Equipment Cost
251	Total Vehicle Cost

Value	Disadvantages
5	Physical Limitation: All turreted weapons must point in the same direction (I, S)
44	Total Cost (221/5)

Description:

The Panzer I and II series of tanks were mostly "stop-gap" designs intended to provide training for the new German panzer force. The Panzer III was intended to be a full-fledged medium combat tank and along with the Panzer IV form the core of the German war machine. Initially designed in 1935, the first Panzer III was completed in 1936. As requested it weighed in at 15 tons and had 15 mm armor on all sides. A 37 mm cannon was mounted in the turret, with two 7.92 mm machine guns set coaxially while a third 7.92 was set in the front of the tank.

When Germany invaded Poland in 1939, it had 98 Panzer III tanks in service (mostly of the Model E). Another 435 Model F tanks were completed between September of 1939 and July of 1940. Thousands more Panzer III tanks were added over the next few years, with the final incarnation of the Panzer III being the Models M, mounting a long 50 mm cannon, and N, or Sturmpanzer assault tank equipped with a short-barreled 75 mm cannon and used for close-fire support. After 1943, however, no more Panzer IIIs were built, as it was quickly being outclassed by such Russian armor as the T34 and the KV1 heavy tank -- with was utterly immune to frontal attacks at normal combat ranges. However, in the time it was in production, 6123 Panzer IIIs were made, with another 9,500 chassises built as basic frames for numerous other armored vehicles.

With a mere 10 DEF in its initial incarnation, a Panzer III is easy prey for just about any 350-point superhero, and can even be taken down by some 250-275 point supers. Later versions will mount bigger guns and more armor, but if you want to toss a "real" tank at your players, but not totally overpower them, use the Panzer III.

A Panzer III is 18' 8" long, 9' 3" wide, and 7' 8" tall. It weighs 15 tons, has a top speed of around 20 mph on the road, 12 mph off, and carries a crew of five.

Hi Michael,

This is really great work. Are you going to use it for a particular setting?

No, not really. I was just getting a feel for the vehicle rules in TUV.

It might take me some time, but can I contribute? Maybe American vehicles?

Sure. The more the merrier.

Thanks Susano, that will prove useful. Have you ever seen a non-HERO supplement called ... Godlike...shhhhhh !!! . I played it a a gaming convention. It was a cool Golden Age setting. Check it out. It will also make a great resource for The Fifth Reich sub plots I plan to run.

The GURPS WWII series has some great resources.

Cheers

QM

Thanks Susano, that will prove useful. Have you ever seen a non-HERO supplement called ... Godlike...shhhhhh !!! . I played it a a gaming convention. It was a cool Golden Age setting. Check it out. It will also make a great resource for The Fifth Reich sub plots I plan to run.

Godlike? Oh, you mean, this?

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsrpg/rpg.html#GODLIKE

:winkgrin:

Hey' date=' Mike, would you like someone to post HD files for these vehicles? Like, say, someone who was making the HD files for them anyway for personal use? *nudge, nudge*[/quote']

Go right ahead. Oh, and I'll be adding more as I get the time.

I am a veteran microarmor player, both WW2 and modern

we ran a couple of fog of war games in the fulda gap

11th ACR wasnt quite sure what to when the panzers came over the hill

an 88L71 can actually punch a hole in an M1 Abrams from the side or rear

amazingly

120 on the abrams goes through a tiger or Jagdtiger like butter from any angle.

PANZERKAMPFWAGEN IV MODEL H

(Sonderkraftfahrzeug 142/1)

Val	CHA	Cost	Notes
50	STR	15	Lift 15 tons; 9d6 HTH Damage
18	BODY	2
11	DEF	27
Total Characteristics Cost: 69

Movement:	Ground: 12"/24"

Propulsion Systems
10	Motorized Tracked Military Vehicle: Ground Movement +6" (12" total); Only On 
Appropriate Terrain (-1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge (easily-obtained fuel; 6 hours; -0)

Tactical Systems
91	75 mm KwK 40 L/48 Cannon: RKA 5d6, Indirect (can be arced over some 
obstacles; +1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), 87 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), 
Real Weapon (-1/4) plus +2 OCV, +2 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
Stun Multiplier (+1/4), 3,150 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire 
2	Armored Body: +1 DEF; Limited Coverage (front & sides; -1/4)
3	Armored Nose: +2 DEF; Limited Coverage (forward 60 degrees; -1)

Operation Systems
153	Total Abilities and Equipment Cost
222	Total Vehicle Cost

Value	Disadvantages
25	Total Disadvantage Points
39	Total Cost (197/5)

Description:

The Panzer IV was initially conceived in 1934. The aim was to build a close-support tank with a short-barreled 75 mm cannon. In keeping with the weight limits of German bridges, it couldn't weigh more than 24 tons. The first prototype appeared in 1936 with the name. A durable and reliable vehicle, the Panzer IV was notable for having a superstructure larger than the hull, which meant it overhung the treads on the sides. This allowed for ample room for internal storage, with the first Panzer IV carrying 128 rounds for the main gun, and 2,000 rounds for the two machine guns (this model has just one in the front of the hull). The basic design of the Panzer IV worked so well, older models were constantly being overhauled and upgraded. The hull design, armor plating, and armament was constantly being upgraded and/or revised. The final version of the Panzer IV was the Model J, which appeared in mid-1944. All told, more than 10,500 different versions of the Panzer IV were produced from 1936 to 1945, with 7,000 of them actual tanks, while the rest were tank destroyers, flakpanzers, and the like.

Used throughout World War II, on all fronts (East, West, North Africa), the Panzer IV formed the true core of the German armored fighting force. If you're running a game set in World War II and someone cries "Panzer!" odds are it will be a IV. A highly capable vehicle, it was capable of holding its own against just about anything else out there, at least until mid-1944, when the vehicle's poorly-sloped armor and low speed made it easy prey for the heavier Allied anti-tank weapons. However, even then, the training and tactics of the German armored forces meant the IV could be a force to be reckoned with.

The Panzer IV is one of those vehicles you need to hit from the right angle if you really want to take it out in a hurry. In this case, you need to get behind it. There you only have 11 DEF to contend with, as opposed to the 12 on the sides and the 14 on the front. Haymakered 12 DC should put quite a dent in the Panzer (average of 5 BODY per hit), and anyone manning a .50 HMG can really ruin the Panzer's day (the .50 was intended as an early anti-tank weapon IIRC).

A Panzer IV H is 19' 4" long, 10' 11" wide, and 8' 11" tall. It weighs 25 tons, has a top speed of around 21 mph on the road, 10 mph off, and carries a crew of four.

JAGDPANZER IV

(Panzerkampfwagen IV/70V)

(Sonderkraftfahrzeug 162/1)

Val	CHA	Cost	Notes
50	STR	15	Lift 15 tons; 9d6 HTH Damage
18	BODY	2
11	DEF	27
Total Characteristics Cost: 69

Movement:	Ground: 20"/40"

Propulsion Systems
22	Motorized Tracked Military Vehicle: Ground Movement +14" (20" total); Only On 
Appropriate Terrain (-1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge (easily-obtained fuel; 5 hours; -0)

Tactical Systems
76	75 mm StuK 42 L/70 Cannon: RKA 5d6, Indirect (can be arced over some 
obstacles; +1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), 55 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), 
Limited Arc Of Fire (forward 60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus +2 OCV, 
+2 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
Stun Multiplier (+1/4), 600 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire 
5	Sloped Rear Armor: +5 DEF; Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Coverage (rear 60 
degrees; -1), Only Versus Physical Projectiles (-1/2)
8	Sloped Side Armor: +6 DEF; Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Coverage (sides of 
superstructure; -1/4), Only Versus Physical Projectiles (-1/2)
11	Sloped Front Armor: +11 DEF; Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Coverage (forward 
60 degrees; -1), Only Versus Physical Projectiles (-1/2)

Operation Systems
169	Total Abilities and Equipment Cost
238	Total Vehicle Cost

Value	Disadvantages
25	Total Disadvantage Points
43	Total Cost (213/5)

Description:

Take a Panzer IV chassis, remove the turret, and replace it with a fully-enclosed superstructure and you have the Jagd- ("hunting") -panzer IV. Requested in 1942, the first mockup didn't appear until 1943, with production not starting until the end of the year and full production starting in January of 1944. Interestingly enough, the Inspector-General of the German Armored Forces didn't see the need for such a vehicle, preferring the StuG III assault gun. This meant the vehicle's development was delayed for some time.

The Jagdpanzer came in three different models, with a grand total of 1,977 built. The version here, the IV/70V, is the second version of the tank, with a 75 mm cannon mounted off-set 8 inches to the right in the nose. With 3.2" of armor set at a 45-50 degree slope in the front, the tank was well armored, although this frontal armor and the sheer size of the cannon made it nose-heavy and prone to problems when going cross country.

A rare vehicle, the Jagdpanzer seems to have been most common in Italy and the East, with only 60 present when the Normandy invasion occurred. A capable vehicle, it suffers from having only 55 rounds for its main gun and a lack of overall numbers.

A Jagdpanzer IV is 19' 10" long, 10' 5" wide, and 6' 5" tall. It weighs 25.8 tons, has a top speed of around 28 mph on the road, 15 mph off, and carries a crew of five.

JAGDPANZER IV

76 75 mm StuK 42 L/70 Cannon: RKA 5d6, Indirect (can be arced over some

obstacles; +1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), 55 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1),

Limited Arc Of Fire (forward 60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus +2 OCV,

+2 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)

I'm curious what the formula is for mm of armor plating per DEF point?

Also, I'd probably split the different ammo types for the main guns. The penetration for the various 75mm guns varies from 60mm, 128mm, 131mm, up to 176mm for the l/24, l/43, l/48 and l/70 guns respectively while the damage for the HE shells is similar. Plus, you need stats for hollow charge and smoke round (and even canister!).

There is an extra MG34 listed in the PzIII entry. That may be a holdover from the PzI stats. Finally, the 37mm gun didn't have sights for indirect firing. Not that you'd want to anyway since it would be way less effective than the 60mm mortar each platoon carried.

What about equipment stored inside the tanks? Each tank came with a dozen or so hand grenades, a flare pistol, and several MP40s.

Aaron

for the Sherman I went for a wild assed guess to be honest on the DEF

figuring hardened steel armor

heres a table borrowed from Fire Fusion and Steel for Traveller

that might prove useful

Armor Type: TL: Toughness: Mass:

Iron 3 1.5 8

Soft Steel 4 1.7 8

Hard Steel 5 2 8

Light Alloy 6 1.7 6

Fiberglass 6 0.25 1

Titanium Alloy 6 3 8

Light Comp 7 4 7

Comp Laminate 8 6 8

CrystallIron 10 8 10

Superdense 12 14 15

Bonded SD 14 28 15

Coherent SD 17 40 15

Toughness is Armor Value in traveller terms per cm of thickness

Mass is is Tonnes per cubic meter of material

Traveller only has 2 slopes, moderate, and radical

moderate is *1.5 to AV, radical *2

for the Sherman I went for a wild assed guess to be honest on the DEF

Here are the real-world armor thicknesses for the Sherman

Turret Front: 89mm @ 0 deg*

Turret Sides: 51mm @ 5 deg

Turret Rear: 51mm @ 0 deg

Upper Hull Front: 51mm @ 56 deg

Upper Hull Sides: 38mm @ 0 deg

Upper Hull Rear: 38mm @ 10 deg

Lower Hull Front: 51mm @ 15 deg

Lower Hull Sides: 38mm @ 0 deg

Lower Hull Rear: 38mm @ 10 deg

Calculating effective thickness based on armor angle we get

Turret F/S/R: 89 / 51.2 / 51

Upper Hull F/S/R: 91.2 / 38 / 38.6

Lower HULL F/S/R: 52.8 / 38 / 38.6

To figure a bonus based on armor angle

15 deg -> +1 per 30 DEF

20 deg -> +1 per 15 DEF

25 deg -> +1 per 10 DEF

30 deg -> +1 per 7 DEF

35 deg -> +1 per 5 DEF

40 deg -> +1 per 3 DEF

45 deg -> +2 per 5 DEF

50 deg -> +1 per 2 DEF

55 deg -> +2 per 3 DEF

60 deg -> +1 per 1 DEF

I don't know of any WW2 vehicle with a greater than 60 deg armor angle.

It seems to me that the DEF 20 given to the M1A1 is much too low. If, for example, a 75mm gun does 5d6, that can do up to 30 points. A Sherman could not penetrate the front armor of a Tiger even if it fired every round at point blank range. A 5d6 gun would let him do that. I suggest making gun AP round do Normal damage so it reduces the probability of extremes in damage rolled. A 15d6 normal attack -can- do 30 points but its significantly less likely.

Aaron

*For my purposes, 0 deg is straight up and down.

I'm curious what the formula is for mm of armor plating per DEF point?

Uhm... guesswork? As I said in the intial post, I sort of averaged some numbers based on previosuly printed material. That and added in some of the stuff seen on Golden Age of Champions.

Also, I'd probably split the different ammo types for the main guns. The penetration for the various 75mm guns varies from 60mm, 128mm, 131mm, up to 176mm for the l/24, l/43, l/48 and l/70 guns respectively while the damage for the HE shells is similar. Plus, you need stats for hollow charge and smoke round (and even canister!).

That's far more work than I really would like to get into. That and I don't know enough anyway to do it justice.

There is an extra MG34 listed in the PzIII entry. That may be a holdover from the PzI stats. Finally, the 37mm gun didn't have sights for indirect firing. Not that you'd want to anyway since it would be way less effective than the 60mm mortar each platoon carried.

No, it's correct. I quote:

A 37 mm cannon was mounted in the turret, with two 7.92 mm machine guns set coaxially while a third 7.92 was set in the front of the tank.

I will take the Indirect out for the 37mm cannon.

What about equipment stored inside the tanks? Each tank came with a dozen or so hand grenades, a flare pistol, and several MP40s.

What about it? Notice that no vehicle in TUV or THSVS lists such things. I can mention it in the introduction, though.

Tanks are where you really start to bog down the HERO system, as you mentioned you only have a few DC to play with which makes a Sherman vs Leopard 2 a not too uneven match up, when in actuality there should be no question on who is worried. Just for some perspective the Sherman's 75mm gun has around 400,000J of energy, the Leopards 120mm gun has inexcess of 10,000,000J, but with hero's doubling rule that differance is covered within 2d6 (6DC).

Something I was playing with was to reintroduce piercing, iving one point per Mj, so the 75mm would have none and the 120mm 10 levels which at least starts to even things out.

Nice job on the tanks so far, I really need to get back to work on my WW2 Hero project, glad to see others are interested in the period.

I was thinking that the best way to do it is to reduce the armor DEF versus modern guns. Sort of like how you can have ancient armor have 0 DEF versus guns and the like. Another is to give WWII tanks AP rounds, and no Hardended DEF (although the shields they put on some Panzers may count), while modern tanks get Hardended DEF versus these sorts of attacks. The problem is that HERO doesn't quite allow for this sort of breakdown of attacks and the like. GURPS does, but then GURPS has things like 10d6x100 attacks...

I was thinking that the best way to do it is to reduce the armor DEF versus modern guns. Sort of like how you can have ancient armor have 0 DEF versus guns and the like. Another is to give WWII tanks AP rounds' date=' and no Hardended DEF (although the shields they put on some Panzers may count), while modern tanks get Hardended DEF versus these sorts of attacks. The problem is that HERO doesn't quite allow for this sort of breakdown of attacks and the like. GURPS does, but then GURPS has things like 10d6x100 attacks...[/quote']

This reminds me of another idea I played with but decided it was sort of clunky, give all armored vehicles 1 level of hardend, this keeps out small arms with AP, give spaced or laminated armor a second level of hardend to protect against AP cannon rounds, reactive armor would get a second level of hardness vs HEAT rounds.

For ammo small arms are limited to 1 lvl of AP (which I think is too high anyway but its already standard HERO), AP cannon rounds (say 25mm+) get a second level of AP so now these have an effect on plain steel armor, APDS, APFSDS get a 3rd level of AP making them effective against improved armor. So since all modern tanks fire at least APDS their guns would be pretty effective against older tanks while the older tanks would be limited in return. There are some monkeys in the wrench regarding the 6 pounder and the 17 pounder which fired APDS but these rounds were notoriously inaccurate so a few levels of - OCV should take care of that.

As I said though kind of clunky, I'd like to see something a bit smoother.

Was looking through notes of ideas I had for tanks when TUV came out, another thing I had considered was the standard effect rule, basically use standard effect vs armor allowing the overall armor value to be lowered, so a tank would only need 10 points of armor to be "bullet proof" up to the .50 cal. Beyond the level of small arms only a percentage of the attack would be SE so a Sherman's 75mm which does say 5d6 would do 9 body se plus 2d6 RKA, while a 120mm gun at 8d6 would do 15 body se plus 3d6 RKA. So the Abrams armor of 20 would be nearly immune to the Shermans gun (max 21 body) while the Sherman with say 12 body would be quite vulnerable to the 120mm gun (max 33 body) These numbers are not set in stone just used to illustrate the idea.