All HEROes Must Be Eaten: zombie survival horror

Nero's Boot

Has anyone put any thought towards Zombie Survival Horror HERO, perhaps as a free pdf? Considering how All Flesh Must Be Eaten is one the single best horror games out there, I was wondering if anyone's either done this already, or is willing to do it.

--All HEROes Must Be Eaten NB

Re: All HEROes Must Be Eaten: zombie survival horror

Has anyone put any thought towards Zombie Survival Horror HERO' date=' perhaps as a free pdf? Considering how [i']All Flesh Must Be Eaten[/i] is one the single best horror games out there, I was wondering if anyone's either done this already, or is willing to do it.

--All HEROes Must Be Eaten NB

I think you'll be pleased with William Mistretta's Twilight Of The Dead webpage, adapting George Romero's "Living Dead" movie world setting to HERO.

BTW as a general suggestion, I'd recommend browsing through the various links under "Hero Links" in the blue banner at the top of this page. There are lots of great fan-generated websites out there covering a wide range of genres and topics. :)

I'm actually running a survival horror game using Hero. Its been an intersting experience. Getting the balance just right is a bit difficult since one of the shticks of survival horror is sudden death and Hero characters are fairly durable by nature.

How worthwhile a resource is All flesh must be eaten, I thought it was just another WW game, would it offer some value beyond a marathon of living dead movies?

BTW this looks quite amusing, its written by Mel Brooks son but supposedly is written as though it were a serious survival guide.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400049628/qid=1088820818/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-5191153-3859207?v=glance&s=books

How worthwhile a resource is All flesh must be eaten' date=' I thought it was just another WW game ... [/quote']

AFMBE is made by Eden Studios. It is a great book. It is very inspiring and it will horrify you guaranteed or you get your brains back. :D I like all the dead world examples in there. The history of Zombie films and myths is awesome. The other books have some interesting ideas in them as well. These people know zombies!

It uses the Unisystem (a d10 system, single die, roll over TN, some other weird add or go over stuff), same as Buffy, Angel ,Witchcraft, Armageddon, et al. Not a big fan of the system (obviously) BUT the source material is well done.

Now as far as it being a WW rip off? Nope. This is classic Zombie survival horror. If the baddie is dressed nicely it’s cause he just got done eating his way out of HIS funeral NOT because he’s living in the past. :doi:

I recommend you check them out.

All you really need to up the lethality of the Survival Horror - Hit locations and up the Body Multiplier (suggested in FH I think...).

I would come up with some disadvantage for a zombie that does even more damage with a head shot. A head shot should kill a zombie, unless head shots don't kill your zombies.... :eek:

I also don't feel much needs to be done for a conversion. Grab the AFMBE book, generate some characters, and terrify your neighbors. The concepts are important, the rules are easily done in HERO without any conversions I can think of.

BTW this looks quite amusing, its written by Mel Brooks son but supposedly is written as though it were a serious survival guide.

If anyone is a fan of zombies and the genre, I strongly recomend the Zombie Survival Guide. While it is humorous at times, as you mentioned, it is written in a serious tone. It is also a great resource for any game involving zombies.

I have played AFMBE a few times, and it was pretty fun. As for the book itself, the zombie creation section would be the most useful. Suprisingly, there are a lot of options to make very different types of zombies.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got AFMBE and you are right it is a great resource, looks like it might even be playable as is but of course a HERO version would be better.

I read through quite a bit last night, they know their zombies, was a fun read even if I never get a chance to play it, is this a common Con game? I don't currently have any horror friendly gamers but I live near the Dundracon.

Anyway thanks for the recommendation, now to order the zombie survival guide, stock up on ammunition, nails, lumber and chainsaw fuel. Anyone know of plans online for a zombie catcher I could mount on the front of my Landcruiser? :bounce:

I love AFMBE ... I ran it at GC '01, as well as for my regular group on occasion. For lethality in a Hero game, what I'd recommend in make the virus active in the rules ... use a Transform to scare the bejeebus outta your players ;) Something like:

3d6 Major Transform (Living Being to Zombie), Must follow Bite Attack, Only if Body done

• 2 weeks later...

I created and ran a PBEM called 'Not Quite Dead!' (I think), and yes it was easy to put together and very easy to HERO-ize. All you need are zombie stats (available in the Bestiary, I used 4th edition) and a plot (I started with panic and everyone in town had to get to the nearest shelter which happened to be the police station... this is before I even saw RE2... plus this got everyone 'together' which is not always easy to do).

As for lethality, just use the hit locations and don't allow rDEF higher than say 3 (or whatever Kevlar is), make sure you allow only one or two 'above average' stats per PC, always count bullets, and off you go.

You MUST keep the zombies interesting, and then it won't matter if its one or one hundred. Personalize them... that's the value of AFMBE (I found a zombie generator on line somewhere, since I ran the game a few years ago around Halloween, I can't remember where but a Google search might help).

Ron