Characteristics in Multipowers: Clarification Requested

Lord Liaden

Question

Steve, I got into a discussion with a player over this issue, and I'm afraid the wording in the FAQ is a bit ambiguous under the circumstances. I could use an official clarification.

From the FAQ on Characteristics as Powers:

Q: The rules on 5E 92 state that Characteristics bought through a Multipower (or sometimes other Power Frameworks) automatically don’t provide Figured Characteristics. Does this mean such a power cannot take the No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) Limitation, or that it must take that Limitation?

A: It means it must take that Limitation.

Now on the surface, that would seem to imply that a Primary Characteristic bought as a slot in a Multipower would automatically be required to take the No Figured Characteristics Limitation, reducing the cost of the slot appropriately. However, there are several published characters who have STR in a Multipower without that Limitation being listed, and no Errata to the contrary.

So, my question is: Is NFC a mandatory Limitation under these circumstances, in the same manner that Hand-to-Hand Attack has a mandatory -1/2 Lim? Or do Primary Characteristics in a MP slot not grant Figured as the default, without applying a further Lim to the cost of the slot?

As a corollary to this question: if the GM allows Characteristics to be bought in one of the other Power Frameworks, would they grant Figured Characteristics unless bought with NFC; would NFC be a mandatory Limitation on them; or would they not grant Figured as the default without getting the cost break of that Lim?

I apologize if this is spelled out in more detail somewhere that I didn't find. Thanks for listening. :)

1 answer to this question

Re: Characteristics in Multipowers: Clarification Requested

On the first question, I think the Rules FAQ entry is clear and I don’t see any need to clarify it further. The existence or lack of noted errata doesn’t change the rules.

The rule for Multipowers extends to other Power Frameworks.