"Get Over Here"

Nightfly

Anyone written up Scorpion's (from Mortal Kombat) ability to pull another towards you?

I can't figure it out.  I imagine entangle & grab come into play, but what power brings the target to you (transform? from being over there, to being over here?).

Similarly, I've wanted a "rocket powered" grapnel hook - like the one so commonly used in Quake (and other death-match/capture the flag PC games).

Like the one Kim Basinger gets pulled up w/ in Burton's first Batfilm.

I've got every 5E book, and have looked for such a writeup to no avail.

I have found grapnel guns (w/ swinging & climbing), but none that actively pull a subject.

Help would be greatly appreciated :cheers:

Re: "Get Over Here"

Thanks for the great suggestions.  Seems like both approaches could work.

Has anybody seen an 'official' (5E printed) writeup for such a device?  If so please tell me where. Thanks Again :winkgrin:

Maybe it'll be comin in either Pulp Hero or Dark Champions.  I'm surprised there's nothing like this (specifically) in G&G or either NH/UMA.

Guest Kolava

The same issue actually crops up in fairly realistic settings too, in the form of the "harpoon". It could be fun to "grab" the whale with a deck-mounted launcher, then use the boat's STR to drag and exhaust it (or be dragged)

Which leads to another point: how to model the fact that, once in, such a projectile is not coming out without more damage? (simply using grab allows strong creatures to pull free without consequence, even though barbs should take flesh with them)

The same issue actually crops up in fairly realistic settings too, in the form of the "harpoon". It could be fun to "grab" the whale with a deck-mounted launcher, then use the boat's STR to drag and exhaust it (or be dragged)

Which leads to another point: how to model the fact that, once in, such a projectile is not coming out without more damage? (simply using grab allows strong creatures to pull free without consequence, even though barbs should take flesh with them)

Delayed/triggered multipower attack? You hit with the one roll, both 'attacks' hit, but the second only goes off when the harpoon is removed? For something like a whale harpoon, you might wanna make three effects - those two, plus a low-level damage as it swims around (that might be a little too grisly, however).

I remember reading about/seeing pictures of a whaler in an old TIme Life Book.

The harpoon had an "explosive charge" (probably more of a pyrotechnic gas generator) in it to "Inflate" the whale and keep it from sinking.

IIRC the photos shown indicated the 70+ (?) foot gray whale towed the Whaler for an hour. :( It always bothered me. Whales are pretty damned cool, and while I am not against hunting, Hunting in a manner that does not even attempt to achieve a clean/rapid kill bothers me a lot.

Delayed/triggered multipower attack? You hit with the one roll' date=' both 'attacks' hit, but the second only goes off when the harpoon is removed? For something like a whale harpoon, you might wanna make three effects - those two, plus a low-level damage as it swims around (that might be a little too grisly, however).[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...

In the Champions genre book, page 89, there is a "Trick Ammo" multipower that contains basically what you are describing:

"Line Ammo: Stretching 12"; 2 Recoverable Charges (-1),

Only For Grabbing, Pulling, And Climbing (-1)."

and

"Swingline Ammo: Swinging +60"; 8 Recoverable

Charges (-0)."

A lot of the Power Sets in this book are nice to use for inspiration.

In the Champions genre book, page 89, there is a "Trick Ammo" multipower that contains basically what you are describing:

"Line Ammo: Stretching 12"; 2 Recoverable Charges (-1),

Only For Grabbing, Pulling, And Climbing (-1)."

and

"Swingline Ammo: Swinging +60"; 8 Recoverable

Charges (-0)."

A lot of the Power Sets in this book are nice to use for inspiration.

You Are My HERO!!! :hail:

You've made my week :) (well, You and Hellboy's DVD release!)

QUAKE HERO is about to take flight!

I know nothing about Board Rep here, but I will now investigate it to give you as much as I can!

THANKS!!! :hail:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd probably buy it as either the Telekinesis variant, or Teleport Usable As Attack with a few limitations like 'only to the hex right in front of me' and 'must cross intervening distance' (and 'can be Missile Deflected, since a standard block undoes it).

One of the sample powers in the USPD is an 'Apport Punch', which involves teleporting someone to you then belting them ... the end result, if not the actual effect, is quite similar.

One of the sample powers in the USPD is an 'Apport Punch'' date=' which involves teleporting someone to you then belting them ... the end result, if not the actual effect, is quite similar.[/quote']

That's pretty snazzy! I checked it out, and I think option 5, the "Skillfull Aport Punch, " would be the best, unless this manuever was something you did all the time. It adds "Requires A Teleportation Tricks Roll (-1/2)."

Just curious, do you think this could be something you could do as a simple Power Skill stunt? Esspecially if you rarely ever attempted it? That way, you wouldn't have to spend points for the specific power.

I'd probably buy it as either the Telekinesis variant, or Teleport Usable As Attack with a few limitations like 'only to the hex right in front of me' and 'must cross intervening distance' (and 'can be Missile Deflected, since a standard block undoes it).

One of the sample powers in the USPD is an 'Apport Punch', which involves teleporting someone to you then belting them ... the end result, if not the actual effect, is quite similar.

Thanks for the reference.  I checked it out & very much like it too.

I still haven't settled on my final version yet, I'm kinda waiting for DC before I commit.

But I've sure got a lot of good ideas from this thread! Thanks :rockon:

• 1 month later...