Healer Nerf

MoP

Re: Healer Nerf

I'd almost feel the current Healing is ok if it just faded (the cap' date=' not the points healed) like regular adjustment powers. So if I Healed someone for 10 BODY, then no Healing less than or equal to 10 BODY would help them (just like it works now) and Healing over 10 BODY will heal 10 less BODY and push the cap up (again, same as now). However, let it fade away at a base of say 5 points per hour. Then you could let people buy their fade rate down with an advantage.[/quote']Good idea!

I used something similar in Fantasy Hero campaigns (doesn't really suit the Superhero genre): Keep track of how much BODY was healed magically. It recovers just as normal BODY, the idea being that the magic is artificially holding yourself to 'normal' and lasts until your natural healing replaces it.

Example: Grod has a REC of 6 (recovers 1 BODY every 5 days). He's wounded for 5 BODY and gets the 5 BODY magically healed. Ten days later he is wounded for 2 more BODY. Since he still has 3 BODY of magic healing left, it would take a 4 BODY healing spell to reduce the wound to 1 BODY, and a 5 BODY healing spell to completely heal the new wound.

That gave the correct 'feel' for magic healing that I wanted, which is that magic healing is like a pay advance - you get the benefit immediately, but you still have to pay it back. You can also use a multiple of REC, do it per wound, say that minor (1 or 2 BODY) wounds don't count against the limit, etc.

Cumulative IS already mentioned in regards to Healing, not directly, but in the section on Adjustment Powers. IDHMBIFOM, but it says something like "Cumulative can be used for those adjustment powers that don't otherwise have a way of increasing the maximum adjustment." IIRC, there are only two Adjustment Powers that have a maximum but don't have another way to increase it. One of those powers is Healing. I don't remember what the other one is off hand, but if Cumulative can only be applied to that one, then why didn't they simply mention Cumulative in conjunction with that one power, rather than saying that it could be applied "to any Adjustment Power that doesn't have a way to increase the maximum"?

I call the implied advantage +1/2 because Regeneration is taking away 1/3 of the Standard Effect die that you're paying for, but giving you Cumulative instead. 2/3 with a +1/2 advantage = 1! See how that works out?

Oh, and without Cumulative, I usually use a default "reset time" of one day (which is mentioned in FH, IIRC), just like Charges is "per day" by default.

I call the implied advantage +1/2 because Regeneration is taking away 1/3 of the Standard Effect die that you're paying for, but giving you Cumulative instead. 2/3 with a +1/2 advantage = 1! See how that works out?

My math is a page or so back, but I use +1 because that meshes with all the other advantages and limitations to get the same 2/3 effect.

I don't hacve the book here either, but I'm pretty sure either the rules or the FAQ specifically state you can't use Cumulative with Healing.

Since Drain is already Cumulative and Aid, Transfer, and Absorption all have ways to increase the maximum effect, the only Adjustment Powers left are Healing and Suppress. If Healing can't be Cumulative, then why didn't FREd just say, "Suppress is the only Adjustment Power eligible for the Cumulative Advantage"? Instead it says that other Adjustment Powers (<-- plural) that don't have ways to alter the rate of adjustment can be made Cumulative. Cumulative is not mentioned at all under Suppress, and Healing is the only other Adjustment Power to which it might apply.

But aside from the rules-lawyering concerns, I've used it and have found it works just fine. Granted, GMs may need to restrict it (and any other power constructs) to enforce specific genre/campaign conventions.