SUPER product endorsements?

Hyper-Man

Has anyone played up the celebrity status of super powered individuals in their Champions campaigns? This could be villians that have never been convicted of a crime as well as heroes.

Mr. Freeze signs an endorsement deal with Klondike for $5 million.

Sandman (marvel) and etch-a-sketch.

Spider-Man and Fruit of the loom.

etc..

If nothing else it would be another offbeat way to report on the status of known 'supers'.

if another thread already dealt with this please point it out.

Re: SUPER product endorsements?

Has anyone played up the celebrity status of super powered individuals in their Champions campaigns? This could be villians that have never been convicted of a crime as well as heroes.

Mr. Freeze signs an endorsement deal with Klondike for $5 million.

Sandman (marvel) and etch-a-sketch.

Spider-Man and Fruit of the loom.

etc..

If nothing else it would be another offbeat way to report on the status of known 'supers'.

if another thread already dealt with this please point it out.

I have a Martial Artist in my Aberrant campaign thats signed a deal to appear in live action remakes of the Kekko Kamen anime. She dresses about the same way so it seemed a done deal.

Well, speaking for the Champions Universe...

Dr. Silverback is an obvious one for Banana Cornflakes. Sapphire almost certainly was at least approached about Pepsi Blue ;) And I'm sure rival companies hired Defender and Cavalier...

Of course, my favorite is a mental image of Dr. Doom (Marvel) stringing for a new anti-perspirant :D

I actually have some of this in mind, but my campaign has been on hiatus in favor of other campaigns so I haven't had the chance to implement any of it.

There was also a thread here (easily well over a year ago) about just such a topic. I mentioned I had a former superhero (NPC) turned manipulative agent that I planned to introduce. She seems to have marketed herself well, thus seeming to be the right choice, but anyone who signs with her will wind up with some horrendous endorsements. It should be fun :)

I drew a couple of superhero photos a long time ago as advertisements. Not sure I still have them. One was a character in uniform drinking a soda with a "Choice of the Next Generation" slogan, and the other was an ad for Jeans that were supposed to be "super durable"; the female character is fighting crime in a pair of the jeans, posed suggestively, of course, as all crime-fighters do in middle of combat.

In one game, there was a female superhero named Bulletproof.

She did alcohol commericals. A guy would slowly drink and proclaim more and more unbelievable statements (as per the T-shirt) until he declared that "I'm Bulletproof".

Bulletproof rushes in and takes a bullet coming "straight" at him.

"Hi, I'm Bulletproof. He's just drunk. Drink responsibly."

In one campaign I was in, my character kept trying to enter in to endorsement contracts, only to have it repeatedly foiled by his extremely annoying teammate. (She would burst into meetings, insult the ad executives, demand that she get the endorsement instead, proposition attractive security guards, etc.)

Guest Worldmaker

One of the guys in my long-defunct face-to-face campaign played a "man-wolf" type who, because of his marketing contract with Coors, called himself "Beerwolf".

Another face-to-face storyline involved a villain no one in the PC team had ever met showing up, tapping Lockdown on the shoulder with a rolled up comic book, saying something cheesy like "Beat me with one hand tied behind your back, can you?", then throwing a punch... the gimmick being the writer contracted to make up the fictional adventures of the PC team just made the name and character up out of the air, not realizing there was a guy just like that in the "real world".

A Global Guardians storyline once had the players dealing with a supervillain who was pirating licensed "Global Guardians" action figures.

Let's see. In my Seacouver campaign, the Defenders have sold the rights to produce a manga popular in Japan (imports are just starting to be brought to America) and there have already been three movies about their completely altered exploits as heroes. One member of the team has a seperate contract with a local publisher for a comic book featuring himself. Another member of the team is a famous actress in her secret ID.

In New Amsterdam, Zectron owns the Smythe Foundation, an "insurance" charity that helps pay for property damage caused by supers, and has become a spokes person for D.A.R.E. He refuses to be paid for product endorcements, but can be frequently heard on the radio doing comercials for local resteraunts.

In my campaign one of the players is a lounge singer in her secret ID & just signed a contract with Sapphires record label. She is now experiencing the joys of corporate input on her next album.

And I thought I'd never get to use that old "Road Kill" adventure.....

In the San Angelo game, Dynamo works for a company as security and did some commercials. In either that game or another game I ran, one of the PCs ended up having a huge fan base. The game was set in California (either San Francisco or "San Angelo") and the PC was named Guardian (had wings and wore a Roman/Greek soldier style outfit). The player was the 2nd least to crave attention (the least was one who she'd have a hard time role-paying anything more creative than zombies). I chose him because two of the players were also GM's and tended to shine the spotlights on each other in their own games, and the third was a former drama major who was an attention whore even when he wasn't involved in the scene. I made Guardian the "City's favorite super." After talking to a friend of mine who lived in S.F. and listening to a co-worker talk about a party he once went to, I also made Guardian's biggest fan club belong to the homosexual community and I let him bump into (no pun intended) the fan club president -whom I based off said co-worker- quite often to give him compliments and updates. The PC politely declined endorsements and ralleys though.

In my Current Campaign Neo-Dawn Champions one of the PCs is heavily Endorsed, and lives his life just like any other Celeb. Parties, Promotions, Public Appearances etc... His main Sponsor is Pepsi Co and Mt Dew in particular. Thrash is Everything that the Pepsi Gen wants to be, and Mt Dew drinkers strive for. In the game he's a BIG time X-treme sports freak, and even appeared in 'XXX-2' with Vin Diesel (The player is a big fan)

His public ID & his love of the limelight has cost the Character a lot over the course of the game. and the PC is at a turnign point, and is starting crave some privacy and wants to tone down the Publicity.

See I even added the Mt Dew Logo to his pic... it's so much a part of the Character.

thrash_2_web.jpg

WC

Thrash is Everything that the Pepsi Gen wants to be, and Mt Dew drinkers strive for. In the game he's a BIG time X-treme sports freak, and even appeared in 'XXX-2' with Vin Diesel (The player is a big fan)

Gonna rewrite his history when XXX II comes out this year with Ice Cube instead of Vin Deisel? ;)

Internet Movie Database

Guest Worldmaker

LOL I didn't even know they were really going to do that... But NOPE in my world it Stared Vin & Thrash!!

That picture is fantastic... who did the artwork?

One of my recent CU PC's, Hype the Hypersonic Man did endorsements for NAR-Cola.

HypeRed.JPG

A few spots:

X-treme Sports style ad:

[Panorama of Hype superspeed running, leaping, flipping over an obstacle course. Hype superspeed flips onto camera] Hype says: "DRINK NAR-COLA! IT LIVES UP TO IT'S HYPE, JUST LIKE ME!" [Hype superspeed zips off camera. In the background obstacle course collapses from highspeed abuse]

Summer Heat style Superbowl ad:

[bunch of teen punks are lounging on a city stoop, it's obviously hot and the teens look worn down and lethargic. 20s pause driving home heat-induced lethargy. Black and red streak zooms in and halts, is revealed to be Hype. Teens double take on the frosty cans of NAR-Cola suddenly thrust in their hands.] Hype says: "Loitering is a violation of Penal Code 7-8-11, Residential Safety and Appearances." [Teens look apprehenisive; most attractive looking one chugs his NAR-Cola and then zips inside with Hype-like speed. Cut to white screen. "Drink NAR-Cola!" pans in at high speed in black type with an abstraction of Hype's red stripe.]

Hero of the People style ad:

[Camcorder style view. Crowded city street. Purse snatcher takes old ladies purse. Camcorder wobbles over to a street vendor. Hype is buying a NAR Cola, notices purse snatcher; eyes narrow. Pan over to old lady yelling about purse. Pan back to Hype pounding NAR-Cola. Pan back to old lady. Pan back to Hype still drinking NAR-Cola. Pan to fleeing purse snatcher getting away. Pan back to Hype. Hype crushes can and throws it at superspeed half a block, through the crowd, knocks purse snatcher out. Zips to purse snatcher, catches purse before it falls, zips back to old lady and gives her purse and a frosty can of NAR-Cola and zips off. Old lady pops can.] Old lady says "DRINK NAR-COLA!"

Mean Joe Green style ad:

[unsettled camera. City crime scene, super battle in progress. Ten armed men in green not-quite-Viper-esque costumes fighting cops in the street. In the middle of the street huddled terrified is a cute kid, caught in the cross fire. Hype zips in, grabs a can of NAR-Cola off a corner hot dog stand, and runs buy the "Not Viper" goons all in a row knocking them out, and zips to screeching halt over the kid. Kid looks up at Hype afraid. Hype, looking serious and stern, hands the kid the can of NAR-Cola.] Hype: "There you go, kid." [Hype gives a quick grin and zips off. Kid smiles, pops can.] Kid: "Drink NAR-Cola!"

Plus Hype would randomly say "and Drink NAR-Cola!" at some point in every interview. He had a couple points of Wealth defined as NAR-Cola Endorsements and nationwide Reputation as "That NAR-Cola guy!"

Heh heh. Suprisingly several of the other players were actually offended by the idea of a superhero doing endorsements. My point was, hey, without needing a day job Hype can fight crime 8 hours more per day! :D

Waaay back in the 80s, we were playing a shared campaign world. With not very original characters. In our "Montreal campaign" I was playing Force Commander -- an Iron Man clone, down to the secret identity as a billionaire inventor-businessman. Our GM and I decided that my company, Mardale Industries, was the sponsor of the hero team, Ultra-Force, with its "representative" Force Commander as the team leader.

He actually had us role play out the interview and hiring process, resulting in some classic moments. He even (being an odd duck who liked bureaucracy) wrote up some mock employment contracts. No one noticed the fine print.

Soon after in the campaign, we found out that Mardale Industries had sold the marketing rights to Ultra-Force to fund its superhero team.

Force Commander got a line of posable action figures, Ultra-Jet sold separately. There was a scandal when some little kid swallowed the "force bolt" plastic projectile.

Whirlwind got her imprimateur endorsing the local weather forecast. She found this aggravating -- since she was the local weather caster in her secret ID.

Pied Piper got a line of plastic musical toys. It bombed.

Quiet Light got a line of action figures, too -- with hundreds of outfits: Quiet Light's beach bash bikini, Quiet Light's princess wedding dress, Quiet Light's corporate attorney suit. She protested -- but no one in Mardale's advertising department knew sign language. She had to go get an attorney for them to "suddenly" learn.

Lupus -- the homicidal werewolf who's badder than Wolverine on a bad hair day -- got a Lupus plushie toy. It was a hit with toddlers, and they were the only people who'd ask for his autograph at public appearances. They also tended to run up to ask for his autograph in the middle of a super-fight.

And then, there was She-Rock. She got She-Rock Underoosâ„¢. She was the only one who liked her endorsement deal. We were mortified; at public appearances, we'd all inch away from her...

That picture is fantastic... who did the artwork?

Thanx I did it. I usualy do all the character pics for the game... just recently I somehow hust my thumb on my drawing hand... still not back to 100% ... I hope to get back to it soon... I have Charcters to Draw

Stop By my website foir more pics...

http://www.energy-blast.com

And Thanx again for the complment

WC

I like it!

One of my recent CU PC's, Hype the Hypersonic Man did endorsements for NAR-Cola.

HypeRed.JPG

A few spots:

X-treme Sports style ad:

[Panorama of Hype superspeed running, leaping, flipping over an obstacle course. Hype superspeed flips onto camera] Hype says: "DRINK NAR-COLA! IT LIVES UP TO IT'S HYPE, JUST LIKE ME!" [Hype superspeed zips off camera. In the background obstacle course collapses from highspeed abuse]

Summer Heat style Superbowl ad:

[bunch of teen punks are lounging on a city stoop, it's obviously hot and the teens look worn down and lethargic. 20s pause driving home heat-induced lethargy. Black and red streak zooms in and halts, is revealed to be Hype. Teens double take on the frosty cans of NAR-Cola suddenly thrust in their hands.] Hype says: "Loitering is a violation of Penal Code 7-8-11, Residential Safety and Appearances." [Teens look apprehenisive; most attractive looking one chugs his NAR-Cola and then zips inside with Hype-like speed. Cut to white screen. "Drink NAR-Cola!" pans in at high speed in black type with an abstraction of Hype's red stripe.]

Hero of the People style ad:

[Camcorder style view. Crowded city street. Purse snatcher takes old ladies purse. Camcorder wobbles over to a street vendor. Hype is buying a NAR Cola, notices purse snatcher; eyes narrow. Pan over to old lady yelling about purse. Pan back to Hype pounding NAR-Cola. Pan back to old lady. Pan back to Hype still drinking NAR-Cola. Pan to fleeing purse snatcher getting away. Pan back to Hype. Hype crushes can and throws it at superspeed half a block, through the crowd, knocks purse snatcher out. Zips to purse snatcher, catches purse before it falls, zips back to old lady and gives her purse and a frosty can of NAR-Cola and zips off. Old lady pops can.] Old lady says "DRINK NAR-COLA!"

Mean Joe Green style ad:

[unsettled camera. City crime scene, super battle in progress. Ten armed men in green not-quite-Viper-esque costumes fighting cops in the street. In the middle of the street huddled terrified is a cute kid, caught in the cross fire. Hype zips in, grabs a can of NAR-Cola off a corner hot dog stand, and runs buy the "Not Viper" goons all in a row knocking them out, and zips to screeching halt over the kid. Kid looks up at Hype afraid. Hype, looking serious and stern, hands the kid the can of NAR-Cola.] Hype: "There you go, kid." [Hype gives a quick grin and zips off. Kid smiles, pops can.] Kid: "Drink NAR-Cola!"

Plus Hype would randomly say "and Drink NAR-Cola!" at some point in every interview. He had a couple points of Wealth defined as NAR-Cola Endorsements and nationwide Reputation as "That NAR-Cola guy!"

Heh heh. Suprisingly several of the other players were actually offended by the idea of a superhero doing endorsements. My point was, hey, without needing a day job Hype can fight crime 8 hours more per day! :D