AWESOME Cover!

Scott Heine

I just have to say it: Storn, you've outdone yourself. The cover for Dark Champions is incredible. Awesome work. The subdued colors, the clean lines, the dramatic pose... it's just great. There is enough detail in the central character to invite further study (just what are all those things hanging from his belt, for instance), and yet the composition is clean and striking. Perhaps one of the best pieces we've ever seen from Hero Games. Wonderful!

-- Scott

Re: AWESOME Cover!

Storn, I will definitely have to second Mr. Heine's sentiments regarding this cover. It's absolutely incredible. I'm not much of a Dark Champions fan, but since this version will contain all kinds of crunchy, modern, street-level goodness, I've been seriously contemplating its purchase. (For agents and spies and such). I do believe that your cover has sold at least one copy. :bmk:

(I'm sure Steve will be pleased to hear this.) :P

I'm pleased to hear of any and all sales' date=' as long as they're not funded by the proceeds of crime. :bmk:[/quote']

I think I'm OK then, unless you consider sneaking a charge onto the VISA card a crime. :angel:

I just have to say it: Storn' date=' you've outdone yourself. The cover for [i']Dark Champions[/i] is incredible. Awesome work. ... Wonderful!

-- Scott

I agree! This cover kicks ass and takes names! It really captures the feel that *I* think Dark Champions should have. Having seen the book itself - Steve's outdone himself. Really.

Andy

Okay' date=' I'm dumb. Where's the link to it?[/quote']

On the front page of the HERO Games website, right where it says "Speaking of Dark Champions, we thought y’all might like to take a look at the awesome cover by Storn Cook. I think it’s one of the best we’ve done yet". ;)

Alternatively, just click here.

And yes, I do think that it is an awesome cover. I'm definitely going to buy it as soon as it hits the shelves. (But then, that's no surprise as I've been religiously buying every book that's not specifically a Champions product so far anyway).

Yup' date=' that's Harbinger. One of the perks of buying the art is you can dictate who's in it. :bmk: If you look closely when you get the full cover illo, you'll see the blue crescent moon on his mask, too. It's probably a little hard to see online.[/quote']

I hate to say this, but I loved the old cloth mask Hairbringer use to wear. Of course, you could confuse him with Grifter, but beyond that, I loved the old mask.

Of course, I don't have Dark Champions in my grubbie hands, so I can't look up close on the artwork, so I might grow acostume to Harrie's new costume. (Oh, and Hairbringer, please forgive me for the bad nickname).

I hate to say this, but I loved the old cloth mask Hairbringer use to wear. Of course, you could confuse him with Grifter, but beyond that, I loved the old mask.

Of course, I don't have Dark Champions in my grubbie hands, so I can't look up close on the artwork, so I might grow acostume to Harrie's new costume. (Oh, and Hairbringer, please forgive me for the bad nickname).

I could be wrong, but I think that the goggles are just something temporary like night-vision goggles as ChaosDrgn suggests; it looks like the full-face mask underneath is a cloth one.

What I like about the cover (aside from its dramatic imagery and solid composition) is that the Harbinger's costume is now the solid black that it was described as in the HoJ's original writeup in the first Dark Champions. I don't know whose idea it was to make it more colorful on all those DC covers - more "superhero-y" I suppose - but this look is definitely scarier, not to mention more practical for a night-stalking vigilante.

Never mind nicknaming the Harbinger of Justice "Harrie," steriaca... I just don't want to be near you when he finds out you've been calling him "Hairbringer." :shock:

;)

Never mind nicknaming the Harbinger of Justice "Harrie," steriaca... I just don't want to be near you when he finds out you've been calling him "Hairbringer." :shock:

;)

Drat my bad spelling...the desease which I can never be cured of... Of course, Harbringer does have a cure for it...but it involves broken fingers, and learning to type with my toes.

I don't know whose idea it was to make it more colorful on all those DC covers - more "superhero-y" I suppose - but this look is definitely scarier, not to mention more practical for a night-stalking vigilante

;)

It was my idea. Or rather, my lack of skill with paint. One of the tough things about those covers was trying to match computerized colors of comics, which were *just* starting to be colorized by computer. Trying to match that slickness, with my 4 color, bright, lack of discipline in paint, was doomed to failure.

It is a decade later, and I've been painting and computer coloring a lot since then. That experience is key to match the visual ideas in my brain.

So I totally take responsiblity for all those less than stellar colors, and trying to make amends now that I have better skill by doing better covers.

Scott, thanks for your kind words. Thanks y'all for your kind words.