CV based on multiple Stats

UltraRob

For a Heroic level game I am planning out now (a Western Hero game to be precise) I am thinking of using the (Average of DEX and EGO)/3 as the basis of a character's CV instead of the usual DEX/3. (Or (DEX+EGO)/6, same result.) The logic behind this being that often a character's coolness under fire can be more representative of how effective they are in combat than how fast or co-ordinated they are. While DEX would still determine who goes first, and factor into SPD, I believe it would lose much of it's focus as the obligatory stat to "pump up" in HERO.

I am also hoping, since this makes a single point of CV cost 15pts to achieve on average, that suddenly Combat Skill Levels would become much more attractive and worthwhile to players. Skill becoming more of the focus again instead of stats.

Has anyone else out there tried this or something similar? Did it work? Any negative side effects you found?

Rob

Re: CV based on multiple Stats

Has anyone else out there tried this or something similar? Did it work? Any negative side effects you found?

Rob

For BODY, I reference the Object Body Table, on page 304, which is based on mass, (a living object weighing 100kg has a BODY of 10), and I add what I call the "Health/Drive BODY Factor", which is:

H/DBF = (CON + EGO - 20)/2.

(This can yield a negative number.)

Example:

CON 26 and EGO 9, on a character who weighs 200kg, gives you a BODY of 19 (dounded up from 18.5).

18.5 = (26 + 9 - 20)/2 + 11

My players had their reservations at first, but after using it once, they all loved it. :rockon:

Re: CV based on multiple Stats

So you use that instead of allowing them to buy BODY or that's just how your figure the base stat?

This is the figure I use, basically as a guideline, for how much BODY to buy. It's not supposed to be a Figured Characteristic, though I guess it could be, if that's what you mean. To me, it's perfect. You have the base BODY, generated from the Object Body Table, and you modify it depending on how well put together the character is (CON), and how fierce its will to survive is (EGO).