Brainstorming a James Bond campaign

Agemegos

Re: Brainstorming a James Bond campaign

According to his SMERSH dossier Bond only spoke French and German. Besides English of course. From Russia With Love chapter 6 - Death Warrant.

The Cambridge line was added for the movie to simplify things for the audiance and to avoid using sub-titles.

It does make sense though. Why send an agent into a country where he doesn't speak the language? Wouldn't that hamper his effectiveness on the mission?

This is of course, just me picking nits. :D

It does make sense though. Why send an agent into a country where he doesn't speak the language? Wouldn't that hamper his effectiveness on the mission?

Indeed. So send him to language classes at the Foreign Office. Don't waste three years of his time on a superfluous course at Cambridge.

Indeed. So send him to language classes at the Foreign Office. Don't waste three years of his time on a superfluous course at Cambridge.

Well I see your point there. However, didn't he study at Cambridge before he was recruited by the HMSS? Not sure if that's germaine to the conversation or not, I was just curious.

Well I see your point there. However' date=' didn't he study at Cambridge before he was recruited by the HMSS? Not sure if that's germaine to the conversation or not, I was just curious.[/quote']

Well, of course his personal history is pretty muddled by the continual revising and updating. But according to the obituary M wrote for him in You Only Live Twice Bond passed directly from school (Fettes) into wartime service with the RNVR at the age of 17, and was recruited into the Secret Service directly from there. So there is no time for study at Cambridge (or even the Royal Naval College).

In that timeline Bond was 17 (claiming to be 19) in 1941, so he must have been born in 1923 or 1924. If I adopt a date of 1918 (consistent with Moonraker rather than You Only Live Twice he would have a few years up his sleeve for pre-War studies at Cambridge. But I still don't think it is appropriate.