Question for the Gallery about software and hero system

Shikarr

Question for the Gallery again. I am looking for all software to speed my game along. Hopefully free or shareware but if it is good I want to know about it. Software to help resolve combats in hero, the best dice roller anyone has run across, Game journaling programs or note taking ones that work well for quick notes in game.

So basically the question is I would like to take as much of the mechanics off the players as possible with software on my laptop, leaving them the ability to roleplay unfettered so to speak. What software works best for this while still using the Hero system rules?

Re: Question for the Gallery about software and hero system

For chargen, there is Hero Designer v2, available at the online store. There is also Metacreator, which is cheaper, but no longer supports the Hero System (though shir1964, aka Chris Mullins, as well as myself, have made some desent templates for it).

As for stuff to use during the game, there's Herosphere, but I haven't used it, or heard much about it. I'm sure there's people on the boards who have though.

HD V2 is a dream and I have used all the others as well since about the early 90s.....If it is ease, then you need HD. If cheap is the primary consideration then a well crafted excel sheet is your daddy.

::::::Eosin lowers his head in shame as the crowd cheers:::::::

Look at the dunce!

Sorry, in that case I am fresh out of answers. You might try asking on the ENWorld software forum though. This is not a question that is unique to Hero so the greater resource pool there is likely to turn up something.

Yes, the Hero Combat Simulator is a pretty powerful and versatile program. It still has a few limitations: it has a few bugs, it isn't totally up to date on all the 5E rules, and you can't yet import Hero Designer templates to it. The design team is working on those, though. It still gives you tremendous value for your money, which is not a cent. ;)

For a free die roller program, I'd recommend the RPG Dice Roller website. They have supported programs for most of the major RPG systems, including HERO.

You'll find several helpful utilities including a dice roller in "Hero Helper," downloadable from nyakki's Random Character Generator website (which is generally fun and useful BTW). You might also consider the spreadsheets and other files available on this webpage in the "Free Stuff" section of the Hero Games website.