Developing Shadowrun Hero, could use some input!

zippercomics

Re: Developing Shadowrun Hero, could use some input!

This is just a suggestion, but I think to keep the flavor of Shadowrun Magic, Spells should be automatic with the effects of a missed RSR roll coming afterward in the severity of the Drain.

Actually this is very similar to how the most recent version of my conversion works. All spells work automatically, but have a Side Effect that does STUN damage (or BODY if the Active Cost is higher than the magician's Magic Attribute). The amount is equal to 1 point per 5 AP of the Spell. This "Drain" is resistable: for every point the magician makes the Sorcery Skill Roll, it reduces drain by 1. So a magician with a Magic of 60 casting a 60 AP spell would suffer 12 Stun Drain. If his roll is 23-, he would need to roll an 11- to suffer no drain.

The limitation is written up thus: Side Effect: Drain STUN/BODY (1 per 5 Active Points), Major, Always Occurs, Predefined Damage, Resistable (-1/2)

It seems to follow the established feel for Shadowrun Magic more than END drain, and is a fairly decent offset for the relative power of magic.

I disagree. The Critter sourcebook that came with the GM Screen still inclueds Immunity to Normal Weapons. Granting Spirits the equivalant of Force x2 for Armour. IIRC.

As a note, since it is near impossible to represent Spirit's "Force" adequately in Hero, I instead just decided on creating a couple of different versions of spirits. The Lesser Spirits were meant to roughly equal a Force 3 spirit. The "regular" spirits were meant to roughly equal a Force 6 spirit. In the future, I planned to add Greater Spirits that were meant to approximate Force 10 spirits. After that, there would be a package that could be added to any spirit that would grant them Great Form status.

There's still so much to do...

This is, of course, based on a magic system where all of the spells are 1/3 of their Real Cost, and each school of magic has it's own Skill Roll.

Zippercomics

I would avoid having the spells require a skill roll. Shadowrun magic doesn't depend on the magician to make a skill roll, he pretty much just fires off his magic like a gun but has to deal with the effects of drain. A failed skill roll would mean that the spell failed to go off at all.

Spells with Side Effect EB 2d6 or some such, means that the mage cannot handle all of the drain. A spell without the Side Effect means that the mage can handle the drain with no problem - entirely possible in Shadowrun.

Actually this is very similar to how the most recent version of my conversion works. All spells work automatically, but have a Side Effect that does STUN damage (or BODY if the Active Cost is higher than the magician's Magic Attribute). The amount is equal to 1 point per 5 AP of the Spell. This "Drain" is resistable: for every point the magician makes the Sorcery Skill Roll, it reduces drain by 1. So a magician with a Magic of 60 casting a 60 AP spell would suffer 12 Stun Drain. If his roll is 23-, he would need to roll an 11- to suffer no drain.

The limitation is written up thus: Side Effect: Drain STUN/BODY (1 per 5 Active Points), Major, Always Occurs, Predefined Damage, Resistable (-1/2)

It seems to follow the established feel for Shadowrun Magic more than END drain, and is a fairly decent offset for the relative power of magic.

I like the way Drain is handled, but not all spells in SR3 are automatic. There are many spells that get Will or Body resistance rolls. The easiest way to handle that aspect might be a Custom Limitation: Spell has no effect if Target makes an Opposed EGO [or CON/BODY/rtc.] Roll -1/2. Caster makes his Skill roll, target makes EGO roll, if caster succeeds, target takes spell's effect...

Aroooo

I like the way Drain is handled, but not all spells in SR3 are automatic. There are many spells that get Will or Body resistance rolls. The easiest way to handle that aspect might be a Custom Limitation: Spell has no effect if Target makes an Opposed EGO [or CON/BODY/rtc.] Roll -1/2. Caster makes his Skill roll, target makes EGO roll, if caster succeeds, target takes spell's effect...

Which spells in particular would you use this on? I was just wondering because it seems that many of the built-in mechanics in Hero already address these issues.

For example, with Manabolt, the caster still needs to hit with his OECV versus the target. For Control Thoughts/Mind Probe, the caster still needs to achieve the desired level of success for Mind Control and Telepathy respectively as well as hitting with OECV.

Which spells in particular would you use this on? I was just wondering because it seems that many of the built-in mechanics in Hero already address these issues.

For example, with Manabolt, the caster still needs to hit with his OECV versus the target. For Control Thoughts/Mind Probe, the caster still needs to achieve the desired level of success for Mind Control and Telepathy respectively as well as hitting with OECV.

Yeah, when you put it that way you're right. I wasn't thinking this morning about Hero combat, I was thinking SR3... I was thinking about how players/characters get more of an active roll in defense. So, in the end, never mind :)

Aroooo