The Last Word

Bazza

On May 18, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Bazza said:

A group of black holes should be "a hawking of black holes". 

A schwarzschild of black holes is also appropriate in terms of who worked on them, and something of a pun in German.

No; trust me, I've had a number of discussions about this with an attorney (my wife).

The function is the same, and general principle of operation, that disinterested third parties provide a superior test of a proposition.  But details of operation and willingness to accept partial or even deferred answers are different.   Peer review in science often dwells more on methodology rather than outcome, and doesn't usually attempt to answer a question once and for all within a specific time frame.  Juries are at least supposed to do the best with the available information in a reasonable time.  Peer review explicitly includes the possibility that the work in question did not (or can not, in the case of proposals rather than results reviews) answer the question at hand, or will make only incremental progress as opposed to ultimate result.

• 2 weeks later...