The Last Word

Bazza

:think: It's a nonlinear mapping that tends to compress scores toward the upper end of the 0-100 range. Scores around 50 get smooshed up toward 70, e.g. Hm.

The specific example I saw was in relation to AP classes. A raw score of 55% is sufficient for a 3 on many AP exams; this grading scale rewards a score of 55% with a C.

I've heard of something called the Texas Curve, where you score the exam out of 100, take the square root of the score, and then multiply the result by 10.

Sounds like a lot of extra work, if you ask me.

A more extreme case would be to take the (common) log of the raw score and multiply by 50. That makes the rare zero score something that really stands out.

... and Newton had extensive writings on the Bible, Copernicus was a priest, Lemaitre (general relativity and cosmology in the 20th Century) was a priest, Angelo Secchi (one of the founding titans of stellar spectroscopy, my discipline) was a priest, ...

Science tends to value people for their contributions independent of other beliefs, professions, or habits they may have had, which is generally not the case for "true believers".

The other thing: William of Ockham wasn't a scientist, his profession was philosopher/theologian and he is included among the Scholastics. Iirc Occam's razor was in principle well known during his time and centuries earlier--from memory, Aristotle was also aware if it, and wrote a form of it down.

But would need to review my bookmarks, and articles I've saved over the yrs to check which can't happen in Monday at 3:20 am...