The Last Word

Bazza

• 2 weeks later...

I've been spending the last few days thinking about almost nothing but nuclear processes and how I'm going to teach them.

I need to get a (half-) life.

Big Bang nucleosynthesis. Because that's where it all began.

The p-p chain (all three branches), the CNO cycle (all three branches), the triple-alpha reaction, the s-process, the r-process. Those are the ones that are significant for energy generation and chemical evolution of the galaxy.

The U-238 decay chain, and comments about other uranium-thorium decay chains. Mention of potassium-40 beta decay. Those are the ones that are significant heat sources in Earth's interior now.

Comments about U-235 and plutonium fission, probably including important unstable fission products that got released from Chernobyl and Fukushima Daiichi.

Maybe side discussions about the neutrino detectors and that history.

Significant historical observations:

Paul Merrill discovering technetium in the spectra of several Mira variables back in the early 1950s: clear proof that nucleosynthesis occurs in stars.

Ray Davis's Homestake Mine chlorine neutrino detector, detecting solar neutrino emission (so proving that fusion was happening), but only at about 40% of predicted levels. The latter would go unexplained for almost 30 years, when other neutrino detectors proved that the problem was in the neutrinos, not in Davis's measurement or in the model of the solar interior.

SN 1972E, and the breakthrough in understanding Type Ia supernovae.

Detection of the neutrino burst from SN 1987A, confirming predictions about core-collapse supernovae.

Finally, a textbook I can recommend: Subatomic Physics, 3rd ed., by E M Henley and A Garcia, 2007, World Scientific. Affordable in paperback. It is at the senior undergraduate/early grad schhol in physics level, so for someone who's been teaching other fields, there's lots -- but not everything in it! -- that'll be over your/my head. Nuclear physics is not really separable from particle physics, so it moves freely between them. Importantly it links the history and experiments to the discovered principles, which IMO is crucial in conveying the picture and why it hangs together as it does. (Far too many lower-level books just gush about the theory, which fails to convey why the theory is what it is. As a result, you have crap happen to you like having a 45-minute discussion/argument with some duffer who "has a better theory" and has not a frickin' clue what he's trying to explain, as occurred to me last week.)