The Last Word

Bazza

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Best Bassists Of All Time: 50 Legendary Bass Players You Need To Know

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/best-bassists-in-music/

The inclusions of Mike Rutherford and John Wetton were nice surprises. But the idea that there are 14 bassistss better than Geddy Lee--and that Paul McCartney is one of them? Preposterous.

YMMV, of course.

(Oh, and I once worked with a guy who played with Jerry Scheff in Elvis' backup band in Vegas. Nice to see Jerry's name there, too.)

I'll look at it in detail later as time allows (which may be a day or three), but the first red flag I see is "arvix.org". The site is moderated (but then so is this one), but not peer reviewed in the traditional sense. 

Also, the Abstract seems to take a fairly well-known relationship (cloud cover and heat retention) and then extrapolate beyond the region of fit.

I should also point out I'm not anything at like like a climate science expert.

14 minutes ago, Cancer said:

The "hours" should allow you to quote sources for your citations and structure your arguments according to extant evidence.

An inability to do this suggests your "hours" were at best spent ineffectively.

Or you hired the wrong PhD student (hireling/henchman) to do it for you. 

Both success are failure are subjective. If I am halfway through a non fiction book and for some reason never finish it, but still want to; have I failed to finish the book, or succeeded in reading the first half? 

The midway point is the subjective part. Also reminds me of Zeno's paradox with the tortoise. 

Given the above, how do we know that when God rested on the 7th Day that this isn't a midway point for further creation? It would be logical to rest in the middle of the creation project. So if we add another 6 days of creation after the Day of Rest, we end up with a total of 13 days. Um, this is awkward...

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

A good example of epistemology, specifically a posteriori. *waits for a prior version of the meme. :) 

600CE7A2-B51A-46B0-9F53-654C9F9B6EED.jpeg

Of relevance:

Susanna Schellenberg, “The Unity Of Perception: Content, Consciousness, And Evidence” (Oxford UP, 2018)

https://newbooksnetwork.com/susanna-schellenberg-the-unity-of-perception-content-consciousness-and-evidence-oxford-up-2018/

20 hours ago, Bazza said:

Or you hired the wrong PhD student (hireling/henchman) to do it for you. 

If you're writing that section of a paper, you're the one on the hook to perform that research.   IME a paper is written in sections, by the various co-authors who did most of the work that goes into that section.

If it's early in a student's career they may not have adequate perspective to do a good job at that.  Learning that is, of course, part of earning the degree.  As the supervising professor, getting those skills across, and doing the quality control on the student's early efforts, are part of your job.

20 hours ago, Bazza said:

Both success are failure are subjective. If I am halfway through a non fiction book and for some reason never finish it, but still want to; have I failed to finish the book, or succeeded in reading the first half? 

The midway point is the subjective part. Also reminds me of Zeno's paradox with the tortoise. 

Given the above, how do we know that when God rested on the 7th Day that this isn't a midway point for further creation? It would be logical to rest in the middle of the creation project. So if we add another 6 days of creation after the Day of Rest, we end up with a total of 13 days. Um, this is awkward...

It may also be that you only wanted some specific information out of the book in question.  That means, of course, that your goal was not simply "read the book", even if initially you thought that would be necessary to achieve the task.  Goals often change as a task is being performed, for a wide variety of reasons.  Among those often is: you initially misidentified the real goal, or chose a goal for spurious reasons.  Another relatively common one: your initial strategy for reaching the goal was suboptimal.

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

If you're writing that section of a paper, you're the one on the hook to perform that research.   IME a paper is written in sections, by the various co-authors who did most of the work that goes into that section.

If it's early in a student's career they may not have adequate perspective to do a good job at that.  Learning that is, of course, part of earning the degree.  As the supervising professor, getting those skills across, and doing the quality control on the student's early efforts, are part of your job.

Yep.