The Last Word

Bazza

5 Of The Most Influential Catholic Scientists You Didn’t Know

https://www.coraevans.com/blog/article/5-influential-catholic-scientists-you-didnt-know

Roger Bacon (1219-1294), Fr. Roger Boscovich, S.J. (1711-1787), Fr. Georges Lemaitre, S.J. (1894-1966), Dr. Thomas Hilgers, Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J. (b. 1952). 

Of the five above, I know 3. I have a   book by Spitzer similar to the book mentioned in the article. 

Angelo Secchi SJ (mid-to-late 19th C) was one of the two founding titans of my own scientific discipline, stellar spectroscopy (the other was the British William Huggins in the same era).

Secchi discovered carbon stars, more or less invented spectral classification, and initiated a huge segment of astrophysics.  He did other things in astronomy and other sciences (see e.g. the "Secchi disk") and was Director of the Vatican Observatory when the Italian Republic got started, and more or less single-handedly kept the observatory as part of the Vatican, rather than being absorbed into the Republic.