Bazza

The Last Word

1 point for each word in all capital letters;

5 points for every statement that is clearly vacuous, logically inconsistent, or widely known to be false;

10 points for each such statement that is adhered to despite careful correction;

10 points for not knowing (or not using) standard mathematical notation;

10 points for expressing fear that your ideas will be stolen;

10 points for each new term you invent or use without properly defining it;

10 points for stating that your ideas are of great financial, theoretical, or spiritual value;

10 points for beginning the description of your work by saying how long you have been working on it;

10 points for each favorable comparison of yourself to established experts;

10 points for citing an impressive-sounding, but irrelevant, result;

20 points for naming something after yourself;

30 points for not knowing how or where to submit their major discovery for publication;

30 points for confusing examples or heuristics with mathematical proof;

40 points for claiming to have a “proof” of an important result but not knowing what established mathematicians have done on the problem.

Mathematical formation for a way to determine if the (letter, tract, email, etc.) you have received is from a crank.  (The source I have for this does not, unfortunately, specify a threshold value for when you can safely apply the crank label.

IME, most of these missives are either down around 10, or well over 100, so a cut near 30 seems acceptable.

I might go back and look at some of the pages on that drivel site (see my post a few days back in the Random Links thread) and see how they score.  When I've had a few beers and am incapable of doing anything productive.  I promise I'll quit on a given page when it breaks 1000.

I can see why they chose Steve for Blue, but honestly I would give him a Green ring. Nobody in the Marvel Universe has greater willpower than Steven Rogers. He can do this all day.