The Last Word

Bazza

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 6:28 AM, Bazza said:

I didn’t think you were musical. 

Well, I dabbled in music long ago.  I took two (out of a sequence of three) classes in the "Music Theory for Nonmajors" series as an undergrad.  And, more than fifty years ago, I was first chair trombone in the Clovis, NM all-city 6th grade band; we won a couple of competitions.  Then we moved overseas, I wasn't motivated to keep up with it with only a weekly private lesson, and I dropped it.

• 2 weeks later...

As my science teacher friend Pariah is a big fan of Carl Sagan’s series Cosmos, it occurred to me that he probably would be also interested in Jacob Bronowski’s The Ascent of Man. Released in 1973, it is the sequel to Ken Clark’s Civilisation released in 1969. Both series are 13 episodes each. Civilisation is the first of the single-presenter-on-a-theme documentary format and has been used subsequently, eg Cosmos. Civilisation’s theme is civilisation (dur) but really it is the culture by examining its art (at Ken Clark was a highly successful art historian), and The Ascent of Man’s theme is the history of science and technology. 

Both series were placed in the British Film Institute‘s 100 Greatest World Television Programmes and was voted by industry professionals and the list was drawn up on the year 2000. 

However as as you might guess, they may be hard to come by today. I watched Civilisation a few years ago, and was blown away by it. 

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

As my science teacher friend Pariah is a big fan of Carl Sagan’s series Cosmos, it occurred to me that he probably would be also interested in Jacob Bronowski’s The Ascent of Man. Released in 1973, it is the sequel to Ken Clark’s Civilisation released in 1969. Both series are 13 episodes each. Civilisation is the first of the single-presenter-on-a-theme documentary format and has been used subsequently, eg Cosmos. Civilisation’s theme is civilisation (dur) but really it is the culture by examining its art (at Ken Clark was a highly successful art historian), and The Ascent of Man’s theme is the history of science and technology. 

Both series were placed in the British Film Institute‘s 100 Greatest World Television Programmes and was voted by industry professionals and the list was drawn up on the year 2000. 

However as as you might guess, they may be hard to come by today. I watched Civilisation a few years ago, and was blown away by it. 

I saw the Bronowski series in first run 😐 and liked it.  I didn't see the Clark series (I was in an environment without TV at the time).