The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

It's a pretty standard troll technique. It started out long ago, actually; I've seen an essay that says that Reader's Digest is the equivalent from an earlier era when public contributions to wide dissemination was impossibe.

In its own way' date=' yes. More subtle than bloggers, but carefully edited and stories selected to further a particular social and political agenda.[/quote']

I actually read many Reader's Digest from their earliest published dates (20s?). My grandmother had a stash of them and I read a lot while growing up. Interesting subsection of history and I agree with your assessment.

Old magazines can be fascinating. Perhaps the best class paper I ever did was in a history course on WW1, where I browsed though Punch during the war period. The differences between 1914 and 1917 did more for my grasp of what was going on outside the front than anything else.

Old magazines can be fascinating. Perhaps the best class paper I ever did was in a history course on WW1' date=' where I browsed though [i']Punch[/i] during the war period. The differences between 1914 and 1917 did more for my grasp of what was going on outside the front than anything else.

My grandmother was a big packrat, so I had lots of old stuff to go through. Too bad she was cheap and paranoid, so we didn't get the roof fixed. A lot of stuff that may have been sold was ruined.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The act of keeping does not usually include a great deal of thought about preserving the things kept. In fact, getting someone to think about that latter usually does a lot to combat the pack-rat urge.

I came up with this a long long time ago. I'm reposting it here. To add it it, I'd add "peace" and "hope".

Kindness, Tolerance and Respect -- remember this when you decide to flame someone. KTR should enable a more friendly board astmosphere.

Try KTR today, and enjoy life on NGD.

:)

Depends on which sort of ether you mean. There's the general class of organic compounds (the most common of which has a low vapor pressure and can be explosively flammable); there's also the medium through which electromagnetic waves were supposed to be transmitted ("luminiferous aether"), but which was demonstrated did not exist by the experiments done most famously by Michaelson and Morley in 1887.

Considering your suggested use of the term, the latter seems the better choice. ;)

Lessee, I don't keep the conversion factor for kcals in my head the way I do for solar masses or astronomical units. Ummm ... Here it is, 1 kcal = 3.97 buttocks. (Btu stands for buttock, right?) So 100 grams is uh ... Nerts. OK, look it up here, gravies are on page 70, a quarter cup is 62 g and 92 kcal ... call it 148 kcal, so that's ... ummm ... 589 Btu. Assuming that there's 1000 Btu to the metric buttload, that's almost six tenths of a metric buttload.

Not as bad as I'd thought, actually.