The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

I have them here at the office because in one class I include a random-number exercise. I have the kids make 50 2d6 rolls, and 50 1d12 rolls (ignoring 1's), then try to lead them to the idea that even though the two have the same average the distributions are very different. Most of these kids not being gamers, this frequently comes as a shock.

Too much variation among them to say. Probability distribution functions usually seem to be left out, though.

It is my experience that gamers have a much better grasp of probability in general than non-gamers, even if they have to translate things into dice roll equivalents to do so. For instance, when my wife got pregnant (age 34, "advanced maternal age") and we were considering prenatal screening, I ended up restating one of the risk elements in terms of 3d6 rolls for her.

No, it was the hospital's track record for significant fetal injury (in 1994) in drawing for chorionic villi sampling. And yes, such injury was more common than rolling an 18, less common than a 17, on 3d6. We didn't go that route.