The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

We only get a few stations in town and as I was driving to the City Permit office today, I couldn't help but think that what was playing on the radio reminded me of why I stopped listening to the radio in the 70s. There's good stuff from every era, but you have to look for it.

Re: The Last Word

A podcast is a program, typically an audio program, that is published and distributed via RSS feeds on the internet. The term Podcast was coined by Apple when they announced support for these programs in iTunes and iPod media players.

You don't need iTunes or an iPod to listen to a podcast, just a computer and internet access. Usually, one uses a program like iTunes that periodically checks the RSS feeds and downloads new content. Such programs are usually referred to as "podcatchers". The programs can either be listened to on the computer, or transferred to a portable media player for listening.

Podcasts are available on a variety of subjects. Generally speaking, if you think there should be a podcast on a certain subject, odds are there is one already. Entry level for podcasting is very low. If you have a computer, a microphone, a server to host your feed, and a few simple tools, you can produce your own podcast.

Some people produce video podcasts, called Vodcasts by some. These tend to be shorter forms, but contain video information and can be watched on the computer screen or transferred to a media center and watched on a TV. Video Podcasts are very useful for training, but are also used to illustrate particular points, provide additional entertainment, or just "Hey! Look at me! I'm pretty!"

One notable form of podcast are PodioBooks. These are when authors publish their works in audible form, reading, or acting out, the content of the work.

Doc