The Zombie Game

Edsel

Re: The Zombie Game

I just bought this book and am in the process of reading it. It is pretty entertaining so far and potentially has a lot of excellent background. In the Zombie Survival Guide they indicate that the cause of zombies is a virus that they call Solanum. I have gotten the idea, from other sources, that this may be taken from the most recent remake of Dawn of the Dead (just released on DVD). I have not seen this movie yet. Is my guess correct?

If you have seen the movie is it a good remake? Worth the money to rent or buy?

I have seen it first at the theatre and then I recently rented it out. It is a good movie, in some ways better than the original in terms of acting and script. Oh and no, they don't ever give an explanation as to how the dead come back to life to eat the living.

Every since George Romero's Night of the Living Dead scared the sweet bejeezus out of me when I was about 10, I've been a big fan of zombie movies. So whenever a new one comes out, I rush to see it. I saw the remake of DotD when it came out, and rushed to buy the DVD when it was released. So many memories...

But it brought back a question, something has been going through the back of my mind since I first saw the movie... How is it, I wondered, that the zombies know who to go after? When no living humans are around, they sort of wander around in large groups, moaning mindlessly. As soon as a human being shows up, they turn into rampaging, murderous monsters, hungry for the flesh of the living. So what triggers this instinct?

It can't be sight. A living person looks pretty much like an animated dead (though the dead start to rot after a couple of days, but before this time, they all look about the same). But if a living person decided to join a mob of zombies by shuffling and moaning, I'm pretty sure the zombies would tear her to shreds in a matter of seconds.

Then I thought, maybe the zombies could see into the infra-red spectrum, and found their prey by seeing their warmth. At one point in the movie, a character mentions how cold the zombie's touch felt, so zombies don't have any body heat. But later in the flick, a dog manages to trot right through a hoard of the undead without attracting their attention. Also, the zombies don't seem to be distracted by fire (though they do burn pretty well).

So maybe it's smell. Do zombies release a pheremone that indicates "not a target"? But at one point, a zombie with no nose (or face, for that matter) chases after one of the living, so I don't think that follows.

The only thing that I can come up with is that zombies have some sort of "Undead Sense" that lets them detect living souls. I suppose if you're already postulating that the dead can walk the earth, one more leap of logic isn't too much to ask. But this is such an inelegant and clumsy solution, I'm sure there's a better one.

Anybody have any thoughts on the matter?

(And yes, I do realize I think about these things *way* too much).

Bill.

There's a moment when a TV preacher says something like that' date=' but there's never an "offcial" answer given. Most of my friends think its scarier like that.[/quote']

NOTLD blamed it on a strange comet event.

The preacher on tv in DOTD04 is the same guy who played Peter in the original DOTD I think.

http://www.homepageofthedead.com is highly recommended for zombie buffs like me.

I thought of a couple more zombie-ish movies that haven't been mentioned yet.

Return of the living dead, kind of comedy but still has some potential, the zombies have some pretty scary traits.

Phantasm 2, it has reanimated corpses so I consider it a zombie flick, love the fact the main characters actually have a brain, once they figure out the bad guys aren't going to go away, they take the fight to the monsters.

• 1 year later...

Here is another thread that I can't believe is this old!:D

AFAIK, Edsel still has this game on hold....the charactors were all trying to get to Dirk's Pawnshop and ran into several of the fodder types (literally). I don't recall seeing the storyline on that adventure though....:(

I do know that Edsel has remained exceedingly busy since the last session.