Looking for old Champions power

Space Cadet

Power Destruction was in Champions III. It was a lot like Drain and Suppress (which was called "Neutralize" in Champions III), but the duration of the effect is different. I'll give you the highlights from the description.

"Power Destruction: This power allows the character to attack a specific Characteristic or Power. The attack 'damages' the Power or Characteristic (like a Killing Attack damages BODY points). Power Defense acts against a Power Destruction Attack.

"Power Destruction has no range and costs 20 points per 1D6 x the cost multiple of any Characteristic being attacked. Roll the dice; the target subtracts his Power Defense .... The remainder is the number of points of the Power or Characteristic lost.

"The target gets the Power Points back at the same rate he gets back BODY pips; either the character's REC/10 in points, or points equal to the character's Regeneration. ..."

I liked the fact that the character's REC or Regeneration determined the recovery rate, instead of the power having a defined return rate (like Drain and Suppress). This was an extremely expensive power, although really dangerous even in small doses (it was really effective against END, since each die was only 10 points). When Champions III came out, everyone in our gaming group started buying lots of Power Defense: it became almost as necessary as resistant defenses.

Power Destruction under 5th Edition

I think one could create Power Destruction under 5th Ed by using Drain with the Fade Rate bought to One Month (a +2 Advantage), and applying a -1/4 Limitation that the recovery is at the target's REC (rather than a straight 5 points) and may also be returned with Healing (Regeneration or otherwise).

Just trying to give a bit of help here... :D

In the BBB description on drain it even says "This return rate can be moved down on the time chart for a +1/4 advantage per elvel. By movingthe return rate far down the Time Chart , it is possible to effectively "destroy" an opponent's Characteristic or power."

Thus giving a nod on how to recreate destroy with the (then) new rules.

And a side not for those that did not play under the prefourth rules, all adjustment powers were multiplied by the char cost. 4th started to affect active points of the power. That way 5 pts of power D didn't stop a 100 pt power (say a 1d6 speed drain).

I liked the fact that the character's REC or Regeneration determined the recovery rate, instead of the power having a defined return rate (like Drain and Suppress). [/b]

Personally I handle all adjustment powers that way (except Transformation which doesn't recover anyway like Drains and such).

Re: Power Destruction under 5th Edition

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

I think one could create Power Destruction under 5th Ed by using Drain with the Fade Rate bought to One Month (a +2 Advantage), and applying a -1/4 Limitation that the recovery is at the target's REC (rather than a straight 5 points) and may also be returned with Healing (Regeneration or otherwise).

Just trying to give a bit of help here... :D

I think that the liim should probably be a -1/2 in any super heroic game, as the average recovery is higher, and regeneration is more common, for that matter in fantasy as well as any setting that does see a lot of use of powers

Re: Re: Power Destruction under 5th Edition

Originally posted by JmOz

I think that the liim should probably be a -1/2 in any super heroic game, as the average recovery is higher, and regeneration is more common, for that matter in fantasy as well as any setting that does see a lot of use of powers

If the recovery time wasn't expanded to a month, I'd say you have a point. The point of the Power, however, is to seriously disrupt the target's life while the character goes about his business. In a fantasy or sci-fi game, keeping the target out of commission for only three months instead of six can make a reasonably big difference, but in a superhero game things tend to move much faster than that.

I also double-checked the Healing rules, and regular Healing (without the Simplified or Regeneration options) will affect points lost to Adjustment Powers -- so at least part of the Limitation value for that is set aside.

Originally posted by SCUBA Hero

I'm on the road right now, so all this is from memory:

The original Fantasy Hero also had a Destroy effect (don't remember the mechanics).

And the original Magic Items had a 'Shield of Destruction' using that effect.

Anyone closer to a book care to elaborate?

Destroy

This Effect removes some of the target's Characteristic for some time, until he recovers it through natural healing or from a Restore spell. The cost is 15 Character Points times the cost multiple of the Characteristic to be destroyed;...