GateCrasher Hero

Wildcat

Hello All,

I'm going to be starting a new game now that I have Dark Champions in my grubby little hands. The game will be called GateCrashers. It will be a heroic level Hero game set in the very near future, and will be (as you can assume from the name) based a lot on Stargate SG-1, with a bit of Sliders & Cyber-Tech tossed in. I’m opting to change the basic premise of the working of the Stargate so that instead of an exact location in space, the Stargate coordinates are to a specific Gate. And that the gates aren’t just on other planets in our universe, but can (and will) lead to other dimensions. Thus allowing me to expose the PCs to a wider variety of worlds, Vampires/Horror, Lost world/Dinosaurs, High Tech, Fantasy, Post apocalyptic, Etc…

World Background: The year is 2010. The world is similar to this one, except that technologically it is about 15 years more advanced. World wide privately owned companies hold more sway over not only day to day activities, but over world politics as well (Think of a world that might lead to the world set up in a Cyberpunk setting). Due to this increase in power there are now more Corporations, and some have developed into what have become known as Mega-Corporations. The world still consists of the same governmental structure, The US, UK, Russia, China etc… but certain things are vastly different, and tensions between these Mega-Corps have lead to some very unstable times. Conflict, Civil unrest & Terrorism is rampant and the problem is only growing. The people of the world are turning to the Mega-Corps for protection, opting for a reduced level of freedom in exchange for increased security, by working for the Corporations.

With world politics more influenced by these Mega-Corps, and in some places smaller countries are totally owned/controlled by them. The UN, once concerned with more maintaining peace & humanitarian concerns, has now become mired in economic/trade matters and is in essence nothing more than a puppet of the Global League of Corporation (GLOC). The GLOC is a council originally made up of representatives of the Mega-Corps, but now a concern unto themselves. Countries that oppose GLOC & it’s policies will always find the UN breathing down their neck. As of 2009 the US has just barely fended off massive trade restrictions & embargoes, imposed by GLOC that could have severely weakened the country more than it already was. This was accomplished by the President agreeing to pass laws favorable to these Mega-Corps, and by signing a treaty promising to fully back the UN in it's military operations. Most Mega-Corps are now even beginning to create entire armies loyal to nothing but their Corporations interests. As well as communities solely for their employees with all laws determined and upheld by the Corps themselves.

With these corporations respecting no national boundaries or borders, the race for the world’s resources is on and is fueling fierce competition among the Mega-Corps. Many ‘Corporate Wars’ have been fought over mining rights, trade routes, copyright infringements & other concerns. Recently with most of the world’s resources either claimed by one Corp or another, the search for other sources has intensified. Crossfire Inc has obtained the rights to the first mining colony on the moon; it will be finished in 2011, and is expected to bring Crossfire incredible gains across the board. This was only made possible by Crossfire's bailout/buyout of NASA back in 2008, which gave the company a huge boost in it’s research & development department where it pertained to the Aerospace industry. This mining of the moon represents a huge advantage for Crossfire Inc., one that the other Mega-Corps are looking to close in on. As a result, no less than a dozen other companies have launched similar projects aimed at claiming rights to other sections of the Moon, Mars, & even the Main Asteroid Belt. As it stands now, not even the GLOC has any power over these areas, and the Corporations are eager to explore the possibilities of such a freeform business environment.

I figured that I’d put this out to you guys and see if anyone out there had any ideas, suggestions, comments or anything. This forum is so FULL of useful ideas that it would be silly of me not to tap into it.

Thanx

WC

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: GateCrasher Hero

Yours sounds really great, but the title's been taken:

http://www.domibia.com/gc2e.shtml

That said, a few gate technology questions.

1. Is the gate technology a manufactured item, or a found "artifact"?

A found artifact would allow the placement of target gates in different dimensions or on other worlds. Built artifacts, unless they can "beam" a gate to the other side, wouldn't allow travel to other worlds unless you could get there some other way. Think of the Babylon 5 jumpgates, and the use of jump-capable ships to bring gate components to far outposts. A sub-question to artifacts: can the technology be duplicated?

2. Are the gates secret, or are they common knowledge?

This, of course, will depend on the level of industrial espionage that you want. A secret gate could represent one of the greatest military or industrial secrets.

3. What are the power requirements to operate?

A gate with a low power requirement could be used to ship raw materials and finished goods very cheaply. Couple this with the idea of mining on the moon, and you have tools and personnel traveling very cheaply to and from the moon (mind you, it costs something like $10000 per pound to get stuff into orbit now, and even more to get it to the moon).

A gate with a high power requirement (or an exotic requirement--like SG1's ZPGs) would make travel more like our space missions.

4. Can a gate be left on?

SG1 gates seem to require shutdown after several minutes, perhaps because of the power requirements. If, however, a gate can be left on indefinitely, you have the equivalent of a pipeline. This is how Traveller dealt with fuel requirements for Ancient vessels--it used pocket universes with gas giants acting as fuel tanks.

If you want the "resource wars" model to continue, I would assume that Gates are artifacts that cannot be built (with current tech), have a high power requirement, and must be cycled off to either connect to other gates (like SG1) or to recharge some internal power source. I'd also stick the gate on the moon, so that it's really hard to reach with heavy equipment. This would also allow a 2001-esque moment when the Crossfire, Inc team discovers a "magnetic anomaly".

A fiction source to read:

H. Beam Piper's Paratime works detail a dimension that has access to time travel and dimensional travel. Their society exists as a "parasite" on other timelines, and actually has entire empty dimensions used just for strip-mining and resource extraction. Their temporal units also have a nasty habit of picking up people from other times when two units cross...

JoeG

Now Playing: Kansas, "Leftoverture"

Yours sounds really great, but the title's been taken:

http://www.domibia.com/gc2e.shtml

Acctualy this was a PBEM game I ran back in 1998, and I'm just now bringing it to a face to face setting. http://www.energy-blast.com

I followed that Link and it looks like their game was originaly published back in 1992, but I had never heard of it until just now :angel: . In any case I'm sticking with the name. :P

That said, a few gate technology questions.

1. Is the gate technology a manufactured item, or a found "artifact"?

A found artifact would allow the placement of target gates in different dimensions or on other worlds. Built artifacts, unless they can "beam" a gate to the other side, wouldn't allow travel to other worlds unless you could get there some other way. Think of the Babylon 5 jumpgates, and the use of jump-capable ships to bring gate components to far outposts. A sub-question to artifacts: can the technology be duplicated?

It's a Found Artifact, just like in SG-1 and won'tbe able to be Duplicated, however since the Gates are Point to point... not linked to a 3D spot... They will be findign more gates, and might try to move them.

2. Are the gates secret, or are they common knowledge?

This, of course, will depend on the level of industrial espionage that you want. A secret gate could represent one of the greatest military or industrial secrets.

The Gate had just been found... it will remail simi-Secret to start, but as you point out the Level of industrial espionage, will eventualy leak the secret to the general public. And in a climat like I'm tring to create someone will want to govern it... OK Exploit it.

3. What are the power requirements to operate?

A gate with a low power requirement could be used to ship raw materials and finished goods very cheaply. Couple this with the idea of mining on the moon, and you have tools and personnel traveling very cheaply to and from the moon (mind you, it costs something like $10000 per pound to get stuff into orbit now, and even more to get it to the moon).

A gate with a high power requirement (or an exotic requirement--like SG1's ZPGs) would make travel more like our space missions.

This is what I was looking for... I hadn't even thought of it... But your right I need to address this. You see before the game had progressed that far in the PBEM the game died... so I never made it that far. I think that I'll have them take considerable power, but the Gates themselves draw upon GeoThermal energy whne properly grounded. But if for instance one was in a building or even on the moon, then the powering of it would certainly come into play.

Thanx :winkgrin:

4. Can a gate be left on?

SG1 gates seem to require shutdown after several minutes, perhaps because of the power requirements. If, however, a gate can be left on indefinitely, you have the equivalent of a pipeline. This is how Traveller dealt with fuel requirements for Ancient vessels--it used pocket universes with gas giants acting as fuel tanks.

It has to be shut off... just like on SG-1

If you want the "resource wars" model to continue' date=' I would assume that Gates are artifacts that cannot be built (with current tech), have a high power requirement, and must be cycled off to either connect to other gates (like SG1) or to recharge some internal power source. I'd also stick the gate on the moon, so that it's really hard to reach with heavy equipment. This would also allow a 2001-esque moment when the Crossfire, Inc team discovers a "magnetic anomaly".[/quote']

Well looks like we were on the same page for most of these points... and while I toyed in the PBEM of putting it on the moon, after the Party returned... it's the only one on earth (at this time, that they know of) so Putting it on the moon would be too expensive to be a resource chanel.

A fiction source to read:

H. Beam Piper's Paratime works detail a dimension that has access to time travel and dimensional travel. Their society exists as a "parasite" on other timelines, and actually has entire empty dimensions used just for strip-mining and resource extraction. Their temporal units also have a nasty habit of picking up people from other times when two units cross...

That sounds cool - I might have to hunt that down... I was already thiniing that the Mega Corps would be taking the 'Strip Mining' appraoch to other worlds.

Thanx for you input, it was well thought out, and caused me to re-examine some things.

Thanx again :hail:

WC

The new game sounds really cool' date=' but I guess this means no new developments on SCEPTRE and the Crusaders. :([/quote']

Yeah I'm really excited about this re-visiting of the GateCrashers game... 1st session is tonight (should be mostly character fine tuning) But your right I might not be getting to the Crusaders anytime soon... However now that my Thumb is feeling better I might (BIG MIGHT) attempt to Draw them... and even a pic of SCEPTRE... Not promising anythign but it has been on my mind... and I am itchin to draw again.

So any Ideas for GC?? any worlds I should throw at them... Episodes of SG1 or Sliders that would be fun to RP... or any other movie/show for that matter... I personaly have just gotten very caught up in the whole Cinematic quality that Dark Champions is so perfect to immulate. I think a Woo movie marathon is in order this weekend!!

WC

Hmm I couldn't help of thinking of an Anime by that name, but I don't anything about that one.

G

I never heard of an Anime, but as was pointed out there is a Game out there... and if IRC Wizard Publishing once released a comic by that name as well.

WC

Yeah I'm really excited about this re-visiting of the GateCrashers game... 1st session is tonight (should be mostly character fine tuning) But your right I might not be getting to the Crusaders anytime soon... However now that my Thumb is feeling better I might (BIG MIGHT) attempt to Draw them... and even a pic of SCEPTRE... Not promising anythign but it has been on my mind... and I am itchin to draw again.

Seeing some pics of the Crusaders would be cool. Especially someone else's take on SCEPTRE. I'll be looking forward to steal... I mean seeing them. With all of the pics being posted on the Superhero Images thread (especially Acroyear's old ones) I'm being seriously tempted to pick up the pencil (and a number of erasers) and take a shot at drawing some characters.

So any Ideas for GC?? any worlds I should throw at them... Episodes of SG1 or Sliders that would be fun to RP... or any other movie/show for that matter... I personaly have just gotten very caught up in the whole Cinematic quality that Dark Champions is so perfect to immulate. I think a Woo movie marathon is in order this weekend!!

I'll have to think about this for a while. If I come up with anything interesting, I'll either PM or EM it to you. Good luck with the game tonight.

Welp, we had our first game tonite. (No, we didn't just end. I couldn't sleep so decided to hit the boards).

As WC said, it was mostly fine tuning of characters and such. We DID do a little bit of "pre-emptive" RPing in order to get the ball rolling for the big throw down on the oil rig Sat. I, personally, REALLY want to play this. I've been dieing for a heroic level game for a while and this, I think, will do nicely.

So far I think it's going to be a bit interesting. The PCs have a wide variety of different personality types to play and it's going to be fun to see what happens when we meet up. (A few of us have said that we're going to have to make new characters since we're all going to kill each other at first meeting but I think we'll be fine. It'll be a bit rough at first but should work out in the end).

Welp, we had our first game tonite.

-Snip-

So far I think it's going to be a bit interesting.

-Snip-

It'll be a bit rough at first but should work out in the end.

Yes indeed we did start last night. and I was very pleased with the way things went. And ad VG said the personalities of the PCs may cause some friction... It was planed this way. (WHAT A GM WHO WANTS PC FRICTION?!?!? :stupid: ) Yes I purposely wanted to show some real friction to start, but will give the 2 teams a reason to work together... a common foe. I really want the feel of coming together for reason that will become clear as the game goes on. and since as everyone can see my players read this thread I can give too much way, so just wait till after the Sat game... Things should be on fire (literally) by then -Evil GM Smirk- :sneaky:

My bad (note I did say I have never watched this one), the anime is Gatekeepers not crashers.

G

OK that does Sound more familier... although I'm no big Anime fan... I like it just don't follow it... but the Gate Keepers does sound like somehting I've seen in passing.

So G... What do you think of GateCrashers as a RP game setting?

Bah --- I knew I should've created a new account or something to post under. :sneaky:

As for as a "GM that wants friction between the players" -- I don't mind friction. Friction livens things up a touch and makes the game seem a bit more "real", 'cause face it, not everyone gets along all the time.

What I don't like, and no, you haven't done any of this, is PLAYERS that seem to think that stryfe and friction amongst themselves is the ONLY type of game/fun that can be had. Lemme tell ya, that's not intersting that damn frustrating.

In any case, I'm looking forward to Sat's game.

It looks interesting. One of the first games I played in (Using Gurps) was a pan-dimensional campaign set in a train station (beside riding the train to any technological world where such things existed, the porters could open door scattered through out the station to other workds). Because of this pan-dimensional games have a special place in my heart.

G

Have you looked at a game called "Fringeworthy" by Tri tac games. It is an excellent game and the concept is very similar to what you are doing. If nothing else it would be a gold mine of ideas. Google it, I think you'll find it usefull. One of the coolest aspects of "Fringeworthy" is how the game limits the usefullness of the gates. It seems that only 1 out of every 100,000 people are able to use the gate. This means that you do not get a party of trained commandos/explorers. You get ordinary people. One of the best parties I have run in this game consisted of a middle manager for an areo-space company, a very politically active punk rock singer, an author-turned-actor-turned waiter, a Cowboy poet, a "respectable independant buisnessman" and a middle class housewife who channeled a 5000yr old tibeten monk. Watching them learn to depend on each other was one of the real hilights of that game.

Have you looked at a game called "Fringeworthy" by Tri tac games. It is an excellent game and the concept is very similar to what you are doing.

-Snip-

It seems that only 1 out of every 100,000 people are able to use the gate. This means that you do not get a party of trained commandos/explorers. You get ordinary people.

-Snip-

Watching them learn to depend on each other was one of the real hilights of that game.

They does sound very cool. I like taking real Normals and throwing them into the fire to see what happend. However, part of the reason we moved to this Heroic level game was to really get that Cinamatic feel, that DC was presenting. So for this game all the characters have some prety kewl abilities & SuperSkills so it'll be like a Woo movie in some regards... lots of gunplay, epic adventures, crazy stunts, fantastic worlds... In any event I'll look up Fringeworthy when I get home...

Thanx

WC

Have you looked at a game called "Fringeworthy" by Tri tac games. It is an excellent game and the concept is very similar to what you are doing. If nothing else it would be a gold mine of ideas. Google it' date=' I think you'll find it usefull. One of the coolest aspects of "Fringeworthy" is how the game limits the usefullness of the gates. It seems that only 1 out of every 100,000 people are able to use the gate. This means that you do not get a party of trained commandos/explorers. You get ordinary people. One of the best parties I have run in this game consisted of a middle manager for an areo-space company, a very politically active punk rock singer, an author-turned-actor-turned waiter, a Cowboy poet, a "respectable independant buisnessman" and a middle class housewife who channeled a 5000yr old tibeten monk. Watching them learn to depend on each other was one of the real hilights of that game.[/quote']

I remember that system. I played in a game that used Fringeworthy and Stalking the Night Fantastic combined. The GM was a great storyteller and everyone had fun but the combat system absolutely sucked, especially since we had Psionics and Sorcery as well as gun play so we were trying to do multi-genre before there WAS a true multi-genre system available.

Maybe that's the next sourcebook we need!

Multi-Genre Hero? (there has GOT to be a catchier name than that...)

I plan on running a game in the near future with some similar elements, actually. At least, it's a multi-dimensional setting. The PCs are employees of an inter-dimensional agency that's half private investigation and half security. I came up with the premise when none of the players could agree on just what kind of game they wanted: four-color superheroic, Dark Champions, super-skilled heroic, etc. In this game, everyone can play whatever the hell he wants, from superhero to alien to skill monger to... I dunno... leprechaun. I have some rather disorganized notes on the game itself, and it's still very much in the planning stages. Still, in the off chance they may prove useful, here they are. More or less.

The Multiverse is infinitely large, and only a very small percentage of it is aware of the poly-dimensional nature of reality. Nobody knows the true nature of reality, or of the Multiverse. The Big Questions still exist even for those in the know: How did we get here? Did someone make this? Why are we here? And so on. But we do know that the endless number of tunnels, wormholes, or what-have-you connect these dimensions. How they came to be is another matter. Some theorize that they are burrowed by giant, intangible worm creatures who feed on reality itself. Other say that the conduits themselves are ever growing, like molten lava burning its way through a mountainside. Whatever the truth may be, these tunnels can be used for travel by those who know how.

Those civilizations that are aware of these facts are commonly termed Enlightened, or said to be "in the know," while the rest are called Ignorant (and worse), and are frequently seen as primitive, simple, and stupid. Ignorant dimensions are easily exploited for a variety of resources-- everything from minerals to water to slave labor-- although the loosely-organized Confederacy of Core Dimensions (CCD) has established stringent regulations to prevent the victimization of innocent dimensions (although the real motivation behind these laws was to prevent economic imbalance in the Core). However, thanks to the fractured nature of the CCD, made up as it is of wildly-differing societies each with its unique view of government, there's no real law enforcement authority, which makes inter-dimensional crime all too frequent. This leaves the task of bringing these criminals to justice in the hands of the private sector.

One of the only things the CCD can agree upon is that Enlightening the Ignorant at the wrong stage of their development often has disastrous results, and is to be avoided at all costs. When going abroad, anyone who considers himself civilized respects this basic precept. The aristocratic set derives no end of enjoyment "slumming" it with the Ignorant from time to time, seeing how well they can fit in. At the other end of the scale, any criminal worth the name knows better than to stand out in a crowd. Only the truly sociopathic show up in a pre-industrial society with a plasma rifle and a hover bike. Enlightenment is only undertaken after careful study, prolonged observation, and approval by the CCD's Ministry of Enlightenment. Considering the time and resources that go into such a process, it doesn't happen very often.

Magic and technology exist, often side-by-side, though things vary greatly from dimension to dimension. The two often share an inverse relationship: where technology thrives, magic is weak, and where magic is strong, technology malfunctions. In some dimensions, such as Prime, the ratio is about even, allowing each to operate with relative ease.

Although the Multiverse is essentially shapeless, for ease of comprehension it's best to imagine it as roughly circular in shape. In the middle is a dimension thought to be, for lack of a better term, the center of reality-- or something close to it. This is known as Prime. Around it are a collection of Enlightened dimensions called the Core. Beyond this, the multiverse can be envisioned as an infinitely-expanding sphere, with the most distant dimensions seeing the least amount of ID traffic (if any at all). Researchers propose this view of reality due to the varying number of conduits which exist in each dimension. Thousands have been found in Prime, several of which exist on the same planet (also called Prime). Likewise, the Core dimensions have multiple conduits (collectively, approximately as many as have been found in Prime). However, most of the known dimensions have been found to have only a few, and many more only one. Thus, the conventional wisdom is that these conduits originate from (or terminate in) Prime as if targeting "distant" dimensions, spreading out through the Multiverse, with the dimensions "in between" being pierced one or more times in the process.

So while inter-dimensional travel is possible, it's also rather limited. If a conduit connects Dimension A and Dimension B, and another connects Dimension B and Dimension C, to get to C from A you'd have to travel from A to B, then from B to C. In addition, conduits lead to specific places only. For example, a conduit may lead from Prime to Ames, Iowa, but if you're going to Chicago, you'll have to drive from Ames. In Enlightened dimensions, the locations of known conduits are frequently centers of commerce and society; large population centers tend to spring up around them to fully exploit their utility. On Prime, for example, there are seven such conduits within a mile of each other-- a phenomenon yet to be discovered anywhere else, and yet another fact which lends credence to the generally-accepted view of Prime as the center of reality.

The thousands of known conduits vary in size, anywhere from about one foot in diameter to just over sixty. Most are big enough to comfortably admit a 6’ biped standing erect.

Good Morning Herodom,

OK we had our BIG firefight on the deserted Oil-rig. All I can se is WOW it was sure fun to run a heroic battle... I had gotten so use to the Champions level of combat... where 1 turn takes like 3hrs. Well The PCs have entered the Gate and come Wed they will learn where they ended up.

The Game went very smoothly and the only snag we ran into was the Def of the Armor the PCs/NPCs were each wearing. Those listed in the DC book seemed to be a bit sturdier than I realized (no to mention the Def of the Attack shopper I pitted against them) The 2 Teams join as one when forced to deal with a 3rd far superior force. And opted to use the Gate as their means of escape (all perfectly to plan… not that the Players didn’t know this, but were willing to play along to move the game forward.)

In any event 2 NPCs (red shirts) were killed and a PC nearly lost a leg (we’ll see if the good Dr will be able to save the leg)

Next up… Lands of Mystery!!!

WC

I plan on running a game in the near future with some similar elements' date=' actually. At least, it's a multi-dimensional setting. The PCs are employees of an inter-dimensional agency that's half private investigation and half security. I came up with the premise when none of the players could agree on just what kind of game they wanted: four-color superheroic, Dark Champions, super-skilled heroic, etc. In this game, everyone can play whatever the hell he wants, from superhero to alien to skill monger to... I dunno... leprechaun. I have some rather disorganized notes on the game itself, and it's still very much in the planning stages. Still, in the off chance they may prove useful, here they are. More or less.[/quote']

I read your quote... I really like the sound of that... perhaps I'll incorporate somehting along those lines ( the layers Multiverse & CCD part) into GateCrasher's as the game matures.

WC

I remember that system. I played in a game that used Fringeworthy and Stalking the Night Fantastic combined. The GM was a great storyteller and everyone had fun but the combat system absolutely sucked ...

Hey i resemble that remark! :winkgrin:

Tri Tac is definately a "take what you like and wing it" system as far as combat goes. I've played it for years and i still don't understand the martial arts system. The backgrounds rule though. I've run Fringeworthy using HERO and GURPS and Stalking even works under Feng Shui.

Ah the good old days.

Yup, the game was relatively fun and exciting. As WC mentioned, the DEF of the armor in DC is a little . . excessive when/if you start getting into the upper echelon of stuff and then start throwing on the inserts and stuff. I understand that body armor is suppose to keep you alive but using the values presented in the book, it's REALLY hard to hurt people when you've got 12 PD on your chest (and there's where most shots hit) and the weapons you're using are doing 2d6 damage.

Attack Choppers (ALA AH-64's). One word: BAAAAAD. Nothing like have 4 PC's/NPC's firing full-auto at the thing and watching the sparks as your bullets bounce of and then going "Anyone got any heavy weapons" and having everyone look at their character sheets and just kinda shrug (thank the gods for our luck system and the much vaunted "Green Bead"*).

All in all it was pretty good and we had lots of fun (I know I didn't show it most of the time but I did have fun). I'm waiting to see what happens now.

Oh and the 2 red shirts we lost . . we didn't just "lose" them . . . one was standing like 1 hex away from the impact of a Hellfire missle and the other one got shredded by the 30mm chaingun of said Apache. Ick!

*: Ok, this info is some where else on the board but I'll just sum up (there is no time) for those that don't want to go looking.

On of our house rules is a change (a major one) to the Luck rules. Deciding that the luck rules are just to vauge (sp) we did this. Everyone rolls a d6 and counts body and for every die of luck you have you get to add a die. Once you get your body total that's how many beads you can draw from our luck bag. There are 3 types of beads. Red, blue and purple. Each level can do various things. For a bit of added "umph" we added a green to the mix. (and only one, except when we're playing a joke on Thrash). The green bead can do just about anything. From upgrading everyone else beads 1 level to allowing you to totaly destroy the 4th wall.

That's how we managed to grease the first chopper (there were 2). Using the green, the PC used creative storytelling to foul the rotors with one of the crane's chains. (Which, saved 1 PC and 4 NPC's from certain death).

Well, the first day (or so) through the Gate was . . ok. I was a bit bored with the game but I think that's because I didn't get much sleep before the game.

I did start perking up a bit later on though, unfortunately for me, it was nearing when the game was breaking up. Oh well, sometimes you're the bug, sometimes the windshield.

In any case, we got a decent amount of things done. We got most of the beat up walking wounded patched up and after a brief run in with about 6 velociraptors, we started a bit of exploring.

Found that there were 10 other smaller gates in the room where we showed up in as well as managing to find not only a room that had, what amounted to, tons of phone books in there we also found the control room.

Now if we can just restore power to the place, we'll be golden.

We haven't expanded our search of the city or surrounding areas (It looks like we're smack dab in the middle of a huge arse ancient city that's surrounded by a jungle that would do the amazon proud). Our local sniper managed to find the sport where the previous team through had a run in with the locals.

We'll probably head there when we gather again next Wed.

So, in a nutshell, this game session was one of discovery and licking our wounds.

Yesterday was a busy day @ work so I didn't post on this thread.

On Wed I started the PCs on their 1st world through the Gate. It's a 'Lost World' setting, and I'm using the 1985 Hero book Lands of Mystery (Thanx Lord Laiden :) )

This world will have the genre staples - Dinosaurs, a Native Princess, Neanderthal men, warring Native tribes and of course Evil Lizard men. The PCs found themselves in an ancient 'Temple' full of Gates... a sort of Gate 'hub' if you will. The PCs made great progress, but didn't really venture out of the temple too much... They explored the 1st level, ran into some Raptors, and dispatched them quickly (good thing too, because the 1 Character who was hit, took 5 body to the arm - OUCH! :jawdrop: They had one foraging trip to gather supplies to build a makeshift barricade for the opening into the Gate Room, to keep any other predator out.

They discovered a room full of scrolls, that they think might be addresses for the gates, but as of this time they aren’t sure, still have plenty of work to do... They also found what seems to be a control room for the all the Gates... It was on the 2nd level, and overlooked the Gate Room, through some kinda transparent stone (well it looked like stone from the other side.) They did learn that the activation device (DHD for you SG1 fans) was missing an important piece that they needed to locate before they could dial any other gate.

They also (from a perch high atop the temple) think they have located evedence of the former team to have used the gate... But they have yet to investigate that... perhaps next Wed. :sneaky:

OK so I put out to Herodom: Any sugestions?? Anything for a 'Lost World' adventure, or possible further worlds for them to go to... those of you who have already posted in this thread, your ideas have been helpful in sparking my own... so I give you a big Thanx :cheers:

WC

• 2 weeks later...

GateCrashing – Zorandar

OK now that the PCs have been on world for a few days they have begun to explore their surroundings. Having seen what they think is evidence of the 1st team to breech the Gate, north of the (I’m using the adventure from “Lands of Mystery†and the PC are in the Lost City of Koram)

They battled Raptors, learned the fate of the 1st team (Slatha), Rescued the Native Princess (Shara of the Uti), journeyed to her Village (battling 2 ft long Spiders on their way), Had a feast in their honor and joined into an alliance between the two tribes, the Uti & the Balkadari (the Fire-magic-strangers) as the PCs are called by the Uti.

Over all it was a good run… plenty of action (a real close fight with the Spiders) and some fun political wrangling with the natives including a ‘Marriage’ of one of the PCs to the Uti Princess. Next time they will have to settle some difficulties in the tribe and quell an ambitious Warrior who wants control of the Uti.

Until next time…

WC