Hero HERO

Susano

Re: Hero HERO

No, this isn't strictly oriental. It still exists in a lot of places other than the orient today as a closely held belief. Certainly, you're going to find many instances of people using the end to justify the means even in modern western society. The difference is as a matter of philosophy, western society generally agrees that in principle, it is a fallacious argument, while many other societies do not. In practice, things are not always so simple, of course.

Actually the American release of Hero was still cut up quite a lot. You can order the uncut version from http://www.layoyo.com. You'll need a region-free DVD player, but if you're a fan of Chinese cinema you probably have one anyway.

Re: Difference of philosophy - It's a complicated issue. In part the philosophical difference is real. On the other hand, China is a dictatorship, and the mainland government takes their films seriously. Hong Kong Film-makers used to get away with quite a lot of veiled criticism of the mainland government, but since 1997 things have tightened up a lot. Also, patriotism and nationalism sell in China, at least as much as they do in America. Maybe more so, as we (Americans) don't have as much of a sense of a unified cultural identity. Having lived and worked in China and Japan, I'd say that it's not that hard for an American to get a grip on modern Chinese cultural perspectives; think a sometimes jingoistic nationalism, resentment of damn foreigners, and an internationalist educated class that find both of the above a little embarrassing.

• 8 years later...

Actually the American release of Hero was still cut up quite a lot. You can order the uncut version from http://www.layoyo.com. You'll need a region-free DVD player' date=' but if you're a fan of Chinese cinema you probably have one anyway.[/quote']

I know this is major thread necromancy, but I have to put a note here for those who might peruse this thread.

There is no difference between the North American release of Hero and the Chinese release. I know, because I have both versions. Part of the condition of Quentin Tarantino putting his name on the North American release of the film was no editing...and Miramax agreed. Thus, it is functionally the same as the original Asian release.

Well, since we already done brung it back, I'd have to say I agree. :)

I really liked Hero, I didn't even mind seeing the same story all those (three?) different times. The differences made it more interesting. All the time I was watching it I was trying to figure out how to do those attacks with Hero System (especially given the names, it was already in my mind).

I was also vaguely dissatisfied with House of Flying Daggers. I didn't see it in the theaters, but I saw the DVD and was convinced to buy it by the "Same director as Hero, same stars as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" line on the cover.