Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Cygnia said:

How did I get a charley horse by playing Skyrim?!

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I got a charley horse.

Lucius Alexander

I got a palindromedary

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regarding Von D-Man's comment about wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle, the law over here is that you have to wear a helmet if you are riding a motorbike. Not cycles. It may be common sense but it is not against the law.

It is seeing American motorbike riders and passengers not wearing helmets that can be disquieting to me. I was driven around while in the States and saw various people riding motorbikes without wearing a helmet.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Regarding Von D-Man's comment about wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle, the law over here is that you have to wear a helmet if you are riding a motorbike. Not cycles. It may be common sense but it is not against the law.

It is seeing American motorbike riders and passengers not wearing helmets that can be disquieting to me. I was driven around while in the States and saw various people riding motorbikes without wearing a helmet.

It really depends on which state you are in. 19 states have universal helmet laws for motorcyclists. 28 more have laws requiring some motorcycle riders to wear helmets, but not all. Only 3 states have no motorcycle helmet law in place. In Washington, motorcyclists are required to wear helmets, but bicyclists are not. Like you say, it may be common sense, but its not legally required. Many cities, however, have bicycle helmet ordinances. For instance, Seattle where I work mandates bicyclists where helmets, but Bremerton where I live does not. And the ferry terminal is State property. So, technically, I have to have a helmet on between the Seattle-side gate to the ferry dock and my office, but not anywhere else on my ride. I do wear one 99% of the time, but.... sheeeesh! Some people need more spine!

I haven't tried riding a bicycle in more than 40 years now.  Of course, I didn't have a helmet then.  But my cycling experience is enough to say: there really isn't much difference between wiping out on fresh oil-and-gravel pavement and wiping out on cobblestones.  I've got scars from both.

1 hour ago, L. Marcus said:

Dedicated bicycle paths, that's the ticket!

I do doubt that I'll ever get on a bike again ever, since I'm now on anticoagulants.

Only if they are well designed!

Several of the bike lanes in Seattle are more dangerous than riding in traffic.

3 hours ago, Vondy said:

Only if they are well designed!

Several of the bike lanes in Seattle are more dangerous than riding in traffic.

I have to say, Seattleoids are really determined to ride bikes in spite of that.  I suppose if the weather won't stop them, nothing will.

14 hours ago, Old Man said:

I have to say, Seattleoids are really determined to ride bikes in spite of that.  I suppose if the weather won't stop them, nothing will.

I like riding in traffic, but that's just me.

Bike lanes are for suicide-jockeys.

Not only slick paint, but on several bike lanes they put barriers and planters obscuring cyclists from traffic on the left side of the road, which means cars are making left turns across the bike lane, or pulling into the bike lane at the intersection and stopping, to make their turns not realizing they are blocking the right of way. I'm looking at you Seattle Police Department cruisers...

On top of it, the westbound side of Dearborn (heavy fast moving traffic with a set of freeway on-ramps and off-ramps) is designed with parking spaces between traffic and the bike lane at one point, and with several cross-overs where cars pass-through the bike-lane to enter right turn lanes for sundry parking lots and side streets. You have people opening the passenger side doors into the bike lane when they park, and cars swooping through the bike lane and "right-hooking" cyclists for six blocks in a row.

In one of those cases, the cross-over spot is right past the parking spots, which means motorists see the cyclist, completely misjudge their speed, accelerate past the parked cars because they just have to beat the cyclist to prove their honor, and then turn right into the cyclist's front tire because they lost sight of them. And, all of this is in a place where cyclists are going downhill. Bikes do not stop on a dime on a grade.

I had 2-3 close calls a week when they first put that thing in. Never again. I watched a woman going 25+mph on her bike go right across an SUVs hood three weeks ago because of asinine design (and asinine driving). She went to the hospital. No, it is much safer to play in traffic than to ride in a bike lane in Seattle. Just get out in the middle, take the lane, and haul ass.