Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

That was good because he was *intentionally* repulsive.

JG

Same reason why there are two Leonardo Di Caprio movies I actually like...

Man in the Iron Mask and Romeo + Juliet. His main purpose in each is to be a whiny little bitch, which suits him well :D

Edit: and because John Leguissiamo was SUCH a great Tybalt

Guest Worldmaker

Edit: and because John Leguissiamo was SUCH a great Tybalt

He and Harold Parrineau as Mercutio together counter any setback caused by having DiCaprio playing Romeo. Pete Posstlewaite helps in that regard as well.

I don't have a problem with The Tom. He's not a draw to me, nor is he a repulsor.

Actually,Magnolia is one of my favorite movies.

There. Now at least half of you will never speak to me again...

Yeah, it's one of my favorite films as well.

PS - I thought the climax was good, too, though that was where so many people were divided in opinion. I think the movie was about salvation, and given that the frogs thing makes a LOT of sense in its biblical reference.

Did you understand the ending? I did not get it.

Whoops, saw this after I responded to Log - see my post above, think about the movie as centering on salvation, the notion of repetance and grace, and then think about the Biblical visitation on Egypt, I think from that it is a pivotal event wherein this is really one of the plagues and it signifies that time is up - it is time to repent or let one's soul die. Of course that's just my view of it.

Whoops' date=' saw this after I responded to Log - see my post above, think about the movie as centering on salvation, the notion of repetance and grace, and then think about the Biblical visitation on Egypt, I think from that it is a pivotal event wherein this is really one of the plagues and it signifies that time is up - it is time to repent or let one's soul die. Of course that's just my view of it.[/quote']

Actually, I think he's referring to The Ninth Gate, which did have a bit of a weird ending. I did a double take on it, then thought ooooh, ok, gotcha. Very nice.

Actually' date=' I think he's referring to [i']The Ninth Gate[/i], which did have a bit of a weird ending. I did a double take on it, then thought ooooh, ok, gotcha. Very nice.

Ah, okay, I heard a little about that film but never saw it, missed the topic-switching!

I watched 2 good films Monday:

My Fellow Americans; Two ex-Presidents on the lamb to avoid being killed by the sitting president. James Gardner, Jack Lemmon, and Dan Ackroid. Hilarious.

Boondock Saints; A light hearted anti-hero movie or dark anti-hero comedy. Either way, highly recommended. Be prepared for several twists.

I liked Boondock Saints, too. Though I thought it could've used subtitles. Their accents were wicked thick.

And, since I can't let the reference slip by . . . What do you suppose an apartment like that costs on Boston? I'd put it around $1200/month.

I liked Boondock Saints, too. Though I thought it could've used subtitles. Their accents were wicked thick.

And, since I can't let the reference slip by . . . What do you suppose an apartment like that costs on Boston? I'd put it around $1200/month.

Since I've never lived in a big city, I have no frame of reference.

$1200/month might get you a small closet in San Francisco. Boston wouldn't be much cheaper if at all.

I was reading through the Something Positive archives today, and the main character's looking for an apartment in Boston. He gets shown this one place that's a little WORSE than the one in Boondock Saints, and the potential landlord quotes $1100/month.

I just raised an eyebrow and commented that sounded about right.

I mean, people were flocking to the Cape (hour and a half drive, plus traffic from Boston) because the apartment rents were cheap. Josh and I had a 2-room apartment (not 2-bedroom, 2 room) for $760/month there, and that was in low-income housing.

Apparently us poor people are migrating away from MA in droves to escape the ever-bloated cost of living. Every time we mentioned we were moving, we got knowing nods and, "Yeah, cost of living's ridiculous," followed by a declaration of how many jobs the person has to work just to afford rent.

Ri-frickin'-diculous.

wasn't this a song by Huey Lewis? Back in the 80s?

This was in reference to a musing I made last week or before. Yes, I did base the musing off the Huey Lewis song from the 80s.

Yes, I do mostly game online. Yes, I still want a cool new game that covers all the things I mentioned in my musing.

Uh... That is all!

So nobody including our friend from Twins peak understand the ending in the Ninth gate then?

Btw I tried for like five minutes to understand Zornwills explanation.

Heh, at least my mistake on which movie inspired some hard working thought! :D

Oh, also, to lemming, one thing about cats getting at prey like that, at least you know it really pleases the cat, at least. I've often wanted to let a bird in and isoalate so poor Beck can get at one since he so wants one - but since he has no claws (from prior owners, they took out front and back sadly) the other cats would get it first so he'd need a sole shot. I wouldn't really do that, but Beck so does want to go after a bird.

Oh' date=' also, to lemming, one thing about cats getting at prey like that, at least you know it really pleases the cat, at least. I've often wanted to let a bird in and isoalate so poor Beck can get at one since he so wants one - but since he has no claws (from prior owners, they took out front and back sadly) the other cats would get it first so he'd need a sole shot. I wouldn't really do that, but Beck so does want to go after a bird.[/quote']

My cat Gateway (who some of you may remember got brain damage from a high fever several years ago and was never "right" again, and now is no longer with me) proved that not having claws (he was declawed when he showed up on my doorstep) is no barrier to getting a bird.

Several years ago, I found both my cats staring at the same blank section of hallway wall in my apartment. I figured there was a mouse in there, and put my ear to the wall to check.

I heard the fluttering of a bird's wings.

How the heck the thing managed to get inside one of the interior walls of my apartment I'll never know, but I did know from the sounds it had fallen all the way down to floor level, and given how little space there is inside the wall, it would never be able to fly back up and find its way out. Eventually it would starve, die, and then stink inside the wall.

Fortunately that section of wall joined the interior wall of a closet, where the damage I'd have to do wouldn't show readily. I cut a piece out of the wall to get the bird out.

Well, you guessed it...the bird saw the light coming in, and went for it...and got past me with no trouble. It was flying frantically around the apartment, bumping into windows. Before I could even try to do anything about it, my brain-damaged, motor-skill-impaired clawless cat nailed the bird with one prodigious, precise leap...and then brought it to me. When I took it from him, I couldn't find any damage or blood...he'd simply caught it in his mouth without sinking his fangs in!

Amazed, I realized the bird might yet live, if it didn't suffer a heart attack first (I could feel its tiny heart racing at a mile a minute against my fingers). Holding it delicately so as not to break any of its fragile bones, I headed for the sliding glass doors that open on to the patio.

You guessed it. Holding it that loosely, it got away and went flying around the apartment again. Once more, Gateway nailed it on the wing with one precise leap. And this time, I went and stood by the back door so when he brought it to me (which he did) I'd be ready.

I took the bird, held it firmly but gently, slid the door open just enough to get the bird out, and let it go then quickly closed the door. Gateway sat there and watched "his" bird fly away.

Then he turned and gave me the most profound look I ever received from him. I'd swear he was thinking, "Father, you may be a fine provider -- I never go hungry -- but you're a lousy hunter. I brought you the bird twice, and each time you managed to let it get away."

:)

Cool Story Dr. A.

We did rescue a large gopher or blow snake last week. Three foot long, we used a floor squegee to scoop him into a trash can, and then carried him away to release.

I have to research this, but apparently cats are resistant to rattlesnake venom.

Then he turned and gave me the most profound look I ever received from him. I'd swear he was thinking' date=' "Father, you may be a [i']fine[/i] provider -- I never go hungry -- but you're a lousy hunter. I brought you the bird twice, and each time you managed to let it get away."

:)

Gateway: "Daddy, daddy, look what I found, a pet, can I keep im?"

Dr. A.: "Only if you look after, clothe and clean up after him".

I love cats.

Mist (an adopted stray) brought me a hummingbird once... I'm still trying to figger that one out.

Tiger (a very imaginative name for an orange tabby, yes?) was one of only two cats I've ever encountered who "fetched" naturally, without being taught.

Damn, I miss them both... :(

John T